eye discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Last evening I noticed what appeared to be eye discharge trails from one eye on the face of one of my 500lb calves. This wasn't one small trail, the trail area was about the size of my hand which I thought seemed like alot. This is a steer calf in a 80x80 feed pen with 2 other similar calves. This morning I noticed no more trails but a small amount of white stuff having settled on the bottom of the eye lid. Any opionions on whether I should be treating this or not, or are there other symptoms I should be looking for ?

If the trail was kind of like it was wet and not nasty looking, he probably just had something in the eye that irritateddd it and the eye was watering. The gook this morning is probably just the stuff washing out, unless it's really heavy. If the eyeball starts to get a pale look to it you might want to consider treating for pinkeye. If it gets a white dot in the middle, definitly treat for pinkeye. If it gets a white dor that isn't centered, it's probably IBR. For IBR a shot directly into the eye will clear it up in a day.

dun

dun

dacra":adqnuzf5 said:
Last evening I noticed what appeared to be eye discharge trails from one eye on the face of one of my 500lb calves. This wasn't one small trail, the trail area was about the size of my hand which I thought seemed like alot. This is a steer calf in a 80x80 feed pen with 2 other similar calves. This morning I noticed no more trails but a small amount of white stuff having settled on the bottom of the eye lid. Any opionions on whether I should be treating this or not, or are there other symptoms I should be looking for ?

The eye seemed to have less discharge over the weekend but I noticed it was red and iritated. This morning the whole bottom of the eye lid had that white stuff in it.

It sounds like it either has something in it, an eyelash turned in or it got poked by something. Just guessing

dun

Latest posts