Extra Large Framed Calf Finishing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone ever finished a calf with an extra large frame? I've never done this and was wondering if they have the same markers as other smaller framed cattle or do you need to look for something different? If so, what do you look for?

Reason I ask is that my cattle normally finish out around 10-12 cwt. Tail head will have a nice roll in it, etc. I got one in the pen now that is from a terminal large framed bull and it is pushing 1500 lbs and doesn't look anywhere close to being finished. The guy that is doing my butchering says this calf would be his pick. (probably due to its length) But it doesn't look finished. It just looks big and its getting bigger every day.

I think you have to me more in the TMR type mode with ioniphores and or keep them on feed significantly longer to get the extra benefit. That is why I stopped buying the larger framed (breed) feeders. My feeding operation is not technical and high input enough to get any significant benefit from these large types as oppossed to my British types that I produce myself. Maybe that benefit would be there if I keep them on feed for 20 months buy I just don't want to keep them in the feed lot that long. My weights are similar to yours with my steers and less with my finished hiefers. But again, I have a pretty simple feeding operation with no grinding and mixing, I think the economics work good for my setup.

I've always watched the bag on steers for indication of finish. The big boys can take a bunch of feed to get there.

This particular calf is an anomolly out of a large framed bull I had. Bull had too much frame for my liking but its calves were OK. This one is what I guess you would call a curve bender or something like that but it is on the high side of anything I've ever raised. I just put it in the pen to experiment for my own curiousity. I can definitely understand why the feed yards don't like this type animal but the butcher keeps telling me its finished but it don't look it to me. I'm guessing it will finish at 16-1800 lbs if I finish it to the same plumpness as I normally do and those will be some huges steaks. I guess I'm wondering if I shouldn't be judging this type animal differently than what I normally used to dealing with. :???:

Jogeephus":325exmks said:
This particular calf is an anomolly out of a large framed bull I had. Bull had too much frame for my liking but its calves were OK. This one is what I guess you would call a curve bender or something like that but it is on the high side of anything I've ever raised. I just put it in the pen to experiment for my own curiousity. I can definitely understand why the feed yards don't like this type animal but the butcher keeps telling me its finished but it don't look it to me. I'm guessing it will finish at 16-1800 lbs if I finish it to the same plumpness as I normally do and those will be some huges steaks. I guess I'm wondering if I shouldn't be judging this type animal differently than what I normally used to dealing with. :???:
I would say you will have a hard time getting the same finish on him as you do on your other cattle

He will probably be more slab sided and not nearly as full in the hindquarters as the others becasue of longer muscles
so I would guess he is probably close to finish if he is full bodied and solid

Angus Cowman":9uvqn4t5 said:
He will probably be more slab sided and not nearly as full in the hindquarters as the others because of longer muscles

You gave a perfect description of it and you are indirectly confirming what the butcher is saying too. Admitting my ignorance here, but I've never dealt with a calf with this much frame. I think the butcher is seeing the steaks and I'm seeing the slab sides. Its ADG has dropped 39% in the last two weeks and if this trend continues I think I'm nearing the point of diminishing returns.

This might be an ignorant question but what does "Tail head will have a nice roll in it" mean?

I had one like that this last bunch- he was actually the only prime and his yield grade was great.
The bunch before I had one like that and he no rolled

After 210 days on feed they go no matter what they look like- after that gains take a dive.
every time you send one its a crap shoot :D

Joe if his gain is dropping, might be the time to harvest. Burger might not catch fire on the grill.

Latest posts