External Parasite?

Help Support CattleToday:

alfred1245

Reaction score
Any idea what would start out as black spots ranging in size from pencil eraser to the size of your little finger on the backs of calves? Eventually the cattle lose some hair on their backs (maybe from rubbing). In the worst case, calves get sores on their backs and lose some hide. Screw eye spray seems to stop it for getting worse, but doesn't return the hide to the way it was. Calves don't lose their appetite or lose weight.

Sounds like it may be warts. They are more common around the head and neck but do show up on the back occasionally. There are any number of home remedies, but the best treatment, in my opinion, is to leave them alone. They will go away on their own in a couple a months. They are most common on calves around 6 months old. Caused by a virus.

I have not saw them in along time but when i was a kid cattle would sometimes get wolves at least thats what the old timers around here called them. don't remember what they done for them. Looked like worms under the skin.

How about ringworm? (It's a fungus, NOT a worm.) Check the pictures in the "cow problems" post to see if it looks like what your cows have.

Red Bull Breeder":3krzrop0 said:
I have not saw them in along time but when i was a kid cattle would sometimes get wolves at least thats what the old timers around here called them. don't remember what they done for them. Looked like worms under the skin.

What you are referring to are heel fly maggots ( warbles/ cattle grub/ wolves). You can treat for them or pop them out. The main thing is if you can help it, don't let it get that far along. Good fly control is important.