EXT

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak

Reaction score
I'm at the beach with family and missing my cows and I have to put my baby daughter to sleep . Therefore my infant daughter will be sleeping on one arm while I peruse cattle today on my iPhone. What do y'all think about EXT? Is there much of his semen left out there? Are there many of his yearling sons out there for sale any more? Are his daughters really psychotic homocidal maniac cows that eat people? How much alike and or different are he and his son Right Time? As Robert Earl Keen said in a song once, "I wanna Know". Entertain me por favor.

We have used EXT for years and have never had any docility issues with him. Semen on him is getting harder to find not impossible just not a whole bunch of it. Cost of a straw of EXT is running around 100.00 to 150.00 per straw. Needless to say we only use it for flushing at this point and we make sure that the cow is flushing well before we use him.

The boss delivered a ET calf out of EXT and our old donor cow 658 today. We used his flush brother 1228 for two years have some of his daughters that we will breeding this year. His flush sister is due to calve in October.

This is a photo of the 1228 bull.

We have two bred heifers out of Sinclair Emulation XXP he is an EXT son their dam Sinclair Queen Mother 6R109 that also traces back to EXT so EXT stacked on both sides of the pedigree. The two heifers are as easy to get along with as any cow we have ever owned. Their dam 6R109 however is on the snorty side.

When EXT was much cheaper if I didn't know who to breed a cow to I would breed to EXT my motto was when in doubt breed to EXT! He does a whole lot right, depth of body muscle and beautiful udders. A cow maker for sure.

gizmom

gizmom

I see EXT semen for sale on a regular basis, anywhere from $75 to $150/unit. Since he's dead, supply is, as they say, 'limited'; but...There is a clone, EXT II, at ABS, but I've never seen a price listed for semen on it. Guess you'd have to call and ask.

Current AAA EPD data. Jeff Sinclair told me that he wanted to select for DOC in using him and the line as reports of injury had promoted the need. Another guy who had 2 older flush sons said that you have to know how to handle them. EXT is a tool. Just know how to use it and also know that you might have to cull. I have seen granddaughters as nutty as a fruit cake from a gentle dam. Righttime was good and added a little fuzz here in the SE USA on some cattle.

Doc -10
Acc .92
% 95%
Prog 376

SC -.17
Acc .97
% 95%
Prog 7223

Lucky

I would appreciate it if you would pm me when you find it for 75.00 I would add some to the tank. The best I have been able to do was 100.00 a straw and I only have three straws left in the tank.

Gizmom

I like the Emulation breeding for putting a lot of maternal into cows.. EXT is probably one of the all time tops for making momma cows... I've never used him directly and always tried to keep him a couple of generations back in a pedigree just because of the docility problem -- and never then had a problem.. 5522 was supposed to have a docility problem too- and one of the quietest bulls (big pet) I ever owned back in the 80's was a 5522 son...

I think a lot of the docility issue can go into management- as I've seen a couple of breeders that could take some of the most docile rated genetics- and turn them into fence climbing, wild animals you didn't want to be around...

"I think a lot of the docility issue can go into management- as I've seen a couple of breeders that could take some of the most docile rated genetics- and turn them into fence climbing, wild animals you didn't want to be around..."

I agree totally. We got only two things to work with: genetics and envirionment.

If it ain't genetics---it's the other one. And Me--my dog, horse, whip, hotshot, temper, yelling, help and general ignorance can all have detrimental effects. Or verse vice aah....

We bought 50 straws ext long ago, don't recall any exceptional issues.

Also bought 75 head 10 yoa cows strong emulation breeding---whacko bunch. Had pretty much all of the above described 'envirionmental factors' imposed on them.....

Latest posts