EXT blood line

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnman":3ppqim52 said:
EXT throws more disposition than other bulls, so did his daddy. Maybe twice as many knotheads.

We all know that. Call and ask the guys that own him, and bred him, they will tell you that. ABS sold semen on him, they evaulted 1,000's of his daughters and sons for GTS traits, they will tell you that. Disposition scores were part of that.

It doesn't mean some folks will get them though, it just means that they throw more trouble.

So, they both left enough good ones in production to find decendents that aren't that way, or at least not as bad.

I had some, they were different, and you had to pay attention. I think they are smarter than other cattle. I think they'll mess with you if you are a dead-head.

mtnman

My ABS reps (2 that I know) never mentioned his disposition. Now I realize they just might have wanted to sell semen. But we all know that the way cattle are handled also affects disposition. If your cattle are on open range and you ride through them once a week on a horse then I would say you would have the propensity for more disposition problems. But for small producers (< than 100 cows, which make up the majority of producers) who walk through their cows on a daily basis, I just believe you'll have very few disposition problems out of EXT. I ride my 4 wheeler down to my EXT daughters when they give birth, pick up the calf, step on the scales, put the calf down and get back on my 4 wheeler and leave. They are probably the best all around cows I have. JMHO

I read in a bull buyers guide that N Bar Emulation EXT has become the #1 all time Angus Bull as far as sales.

What has made him so popular?

mnmt

mnmtranching":6hup22a1 said:
I read in a bull buyers guide that N Bar Emulation EXT has become the #1 all time Angus Bull as far as sales.

What has made him so popular?

mnmt

Performance, longivity, fertility, balance. His sons probably "won" more gain tests than any other Angus bull and were long as freight trains. He lived to be 13 years old, producing a ton of semen for most of those years. (My ABS rep said they set a 5-gal bucket under him three times a week and told him to "fill it up.") His daughters are fertile, moderate framed, thick, wonderful udders, strong maternal instincts. He wasn't perfect by any means, too much backfat, smaller frame than I like, not very attractive cattle. But, overall, he was a good one.

Frankie - Do you think that too much backfat contributes to his easy keeping daughters? I think it is ok for your maternal bulls to have some backfat. I had a grand daughter that tried to kill her calf so I haven't been back to the bull. Too bad, beacause I like the rest of the bull!

BA":13kf8vux said:
Frankie - Do you think that too much backfat contributes to his easy keeping daughters? I think it is ok for your maternal bulls to have some backfat. I had a grand daughter that tried to kill her calf so I haven't been back to the bull. Too bad, beacause I like the rest of the bull!

Yes, I think backfat is related to "easy fleshing" or "easy keeping" cattle. But since those terms are in the individual's eye, not something that can be scientifically measured, it's only my opinion.

EXT's scrotal EPD is also a serious negative.

Right on, TSR, if you are around them often, they are fine.

If you leave them alone, they will tend to be harder to handle when you have too.

Where folks get blasted is when they aren't around them very much, then crowd them w/o having enough cowsense to recognize trouble brewing.

Frankie:

If he made buckets of semen, and produces performance, longivity, fertility, balance, then the indicator trait of SC is of no consequence.

mtnman

True enough Mtnman, except if his sons are low in Scrotal circumference then they are going to be harder to sell. Whether or not they produce good semen(pass a BSE) is not going to matter to some people. Right or Wrong, preception is important. Right???

I agree that SC is no indicator of fertility as it's not. Seeing is believing and that is what we have taught our customers. More times than not when examining semen tests it seems that the bulls that measured around 34 cm seem to have the best semen tests.

I do believe that the larger scrotal allows for a better semen bank and better ability to recover.

If he made buckets of semen, and produces performance, longivity, fertility, balance, then the indicator trait of SC is of no consequence.
This statement, on the face of it, seems valid and logical - and it is, - insofar as the "weights" or "values" one applys to those four traits are applicable to the requirements of their herd, and less significant than the fertility of the females produced by that particular bloodline. Scrotal EPD's do seem to be relevant and applicable to "fertility" in progeny - predominately the female gender.

DOC HARRIS

I would agree with to in some cases but there can be some valid arguments made the other way, maybe they are just exceptions to the rule.

EXT, 6807, 23-4, Leachman Right Time, Bando 155, Rainmaker 340, Sitz Value, Viking.

These would all be exceptions to the rule.

Precision 1680 would prove that statement true. Something neat comes out of this though. 1680 is a linebred Band 105 descendant, is this a product of breeding this closely? Not sure, maybe there is something in the cow side of things.

There will be some people that will argue the precision thing. But from those that I have visited with that have Precision based daughters, their stories are certainly interesting as are the stories on the sons.

Latest posts