EXT blood line

Help Support CattleToday:

hcube

Reaction score
What is the feeling about EXT blood line in Angus? My brother has a Freightliner bull that had a mother that was of the EXT blood line. He is a gentle bull when with the cows in the summer time. Gets a litttle ornery in the winter time when in the lot with another bull. When you put him in a trailer he goes wild. Usually winds up with a cut or skinned place or two somewhere on his body. Some say it is the EXT bloodline. Just ran his first calves through the chute at 2 months of age and they did not seem too excitable. hhh

We have an EXT grandson, worked him this past weekend and he was no worse than some of the cows. Had a breeder tell me that the EXT line was excitable so who knows, only had this bull for about 4 months. This guy had told me his EXT's dam or grand dam was really wild, could not get in a pen with her.

EXT has taken a lot of hits over the year on the disposition. I think the other bull stud companies started that rumor because of his popularity. :p Most of the cows in our herd have EXT pretty close up in their pedigree. I can walk among the herd with no problems, even scratch some of them if I wanted. I don't doubt EXT left some wild sons and daughters, but he was easily the most used Angus bull ever. We started using him to get bulls; commercial producers liked the length and thickness. But his daughters may even be better than the sons. I asked the guys who run our bull test station about EXT dispositions and they laughed. They said the worst EXT bull they'd ever had didn't hold a candle to some of the other breeds in general. Be careful of any bull. Good luck...

Don't let them kid you. EXTs have a well deserved reputation for nervous dispostitions. Stay away from them. There are plenty of Angus out there without this problem and it may be the most economically important trait when you figure in medical bills. :D

I agree with Frankies comments. Our EXT sons and daughters have been very docile and his daughters have been as good a cow as you want to see and his bulls have always been the most popular with the buyers.

I have an EXT grand daughter. She's a nice heifer, well built and was bred for the first time last weekend. Her temperament is good. She's not a pet, but she's not wild either.

Katherine

Well, how about Lucy's Boy. He wasn't great in his disposition at all, nor are his cattle.
Premier Independence, how many bulls do you know of that were shown with 2 people on him with the nose ring. He might have been the wildest show bull in the whole world.

Leachman Right Time would discredit the fact that all EXT cattle are goofy. Yes, some EXT sons have some jam in them but that's life!

The daughters aren't like that at all and are maybe some of the breeds greatest treasures.

This might also be a part of the linebreeding on EXT, I know of some other blood that would get a little hot as well.

The Max cattle can be testy, Widespread, Really Windy get that way.

-Seems to me that there will always be docile and wild cattle out of every bull that is largely used.

With that said, if you repeatedly hear that a bull sires nervous offspring he probably does.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

(IMHO, EXT's are wild. However, he has sired numerous "great" ones.)

I have two that are great. Long as a whale rope also. Anyone want to guesse why people are paying 100 dollars a straw? EXT daughters produce.

SEC,
They actually had two people on the nose ring of Premier Indenpendence KN? I did not know that, you got any other stories like that.

There's a big difference between nervous and wild. I'm not raising pets so nervous doesn't bother me. Wild is a different story. I enjoy walking and breathing.

I had a son of N Bar Emulation EXT, What relation is he to EXT?

The bull I had was as easy to handle as and bull could be.

mnmtranching":yarfy38v said:
I had a son of N Bar Emulation EXT, What relation is he to EXT?

The bull I had was as easy to handle as and bull could be.
He is a son of EXT. N Bar Emulation EXT is known as EXT

I have been around a lot of Ext influenced cattle, both daughters and sons of Ext. I would call them generally nervous cattle that don't like being in a tight spot. Depends of course on how they were raised. I had bigger issues with milk consistency in his daughters and fertility issue/scrotal size in his sons.

i have ext breeding in two cows and my herd bull is out of a ext cow. i handle these cattle with my border collie. some times the cow gets labled as nervous when its really the handlers bad technics. :cboy: exts in my herd are as easy to handle as any of my other blood lines.

Yes, they had 2 people on the nose ring on Independence. Don't quote me for sure but I am thinking they needed to have the bull blindfolded as well.

Heard a story of Sir Williams showing a bull in Canada years at Agribition. Apparently the bull was sick and went down and they literally had someone cooling the bull off with a garden hose and the steam was just rising of the bull. Bull died in the stall, autopsy never showed why.

KMacGinley":38sx54jo said:
Don't let them kid you. EXTs have a well deserved reputation for nervous dispostitions. Stay away from them. There are plenty of Angus out there without this problem and it may be the most economically important trait when you figure in medical bills. :D

With all respect, you are just wrong about this. I'm sure there are EXTs with disposition problems like any other bloodline but i have yet to have any such problems out of my EXT daughters. As a matter of fact I wish I had more of them but at $100 a straw I am now looking at sons.

The docility (or lack of ) of EXT and progeny of EXT has been bandied about on these and other posts and articles for a long time. As has been explored in many genetic characteristic and trait studies many times and in many different breeds- yea even species - dominance of genes - whatever characteristics one wishes to consider - is an EDUCATED guess. The genome, or complete haploid set of chromosomes of an organism (or individual) when mixed with those of another individual creates a SOUP MIX of astronomical proportions which can, at best, approach dominance and a semblance of predictability only by percentages. In other words - it is a CRAP SHOOT - except in craps one is concerned with only six numbers on one die. In dealing with Genetics and "mixing the unknowns" (breeding individuals without KNOWING ALL of the dominant genes present in any mating), percentages and chance rule the game with billions of genes!. This is why EPD's are so critical in mating programs! At least one has a fighting chance of determining the possibilities of mating A to B and having a representative product with the resulting offspring.

Now, as with N Bar Emulation EXT (or, as he is better known as just "EXT") his genetic signature, or make-up, has many other contributors in his geneology helping (?) to contribute to his docility, or lack therof. By the SAME token, his progeny - one or two or three generations down line - has as many as 14 'contributors' of dominant or recessive genes to stir into the 'soup mix' of determining characteristic traits! We know that Homozygosity determines many different traits - Hair Color, Polledness, etc., etc., and HETEROzygosity throws a monkey wrench into the 'soup' several generations down the line. Therefore, who is to say where (or IF) EXT received the dominant gene for dictating the his progeny - or even
SOME of his progeny - MIGHT POSSIBLY genetically 'throw' a bunch of wild-eyed up-headed ding-bat @$&* of (#$(#@$ whose entire purpose in life is to destroy your squeeze chute and your personal active life-style ! As the Attorney's in today's Legalistic environs are constantly blathering, "It is a "slippery slope" upon which we venture to subject ourselves" in the arena of factual determinations. Who knows what EVIL LURKS in the hea - -oh, - - sorry about that! I got carried away! In any case - my point is - one producer can have EXT progeny with out any negative results, and another one ends up with Hospital bills to pay. Ours is a dangerious business, and we must accept the fact that we are responsible for our own welfare - EXT or any other bull notwithstanding. We have to 'hedge our bets' with our own good judgement decisions.

DOC HARRIS

EXT throws more disposition than other bulls, so did his daddy. Maybe twice as many knotheads.

We all know that. Call and ask the guys that own him, and bred him, they will tell you that. ABS sold semen on him, they evaulted 1,000's of his daughters and sons for GTS traits, they will tell you that. Disposition scores were part of that.

It doesn't mean some folks will get them though, it just means that they throw more trouble.

So, they both left enough good ones in production to find decendents that aren't that way, or at least not as bad.

I had some, they were different, and you had to pay attention. I think they are smarter than other cattle. I think they'll mess with you if you are a dead-head.

mtnman

We use AI extensively and we have used EXT. There can be no doubt that he leaves more bad dispositioned cattle than most other Angus sires. It is not a matter for debate in my opinion. All the anecdotes like " I had a grandaughter and she was... " don't change the facts. use him enough and you'll find bad apples, more than from most other sires.

I personally saw Independence shown at Denver and yes, they had two people on the halter, but I never saw him act up. It must have been a precautionary measure.

The bull SEC was referrring to at Agribition was shown by Ankony Shadow Isle, not Sir William and he was a desendant of Holts Emulous Pride who had his papers withdrawn. It made for lots of rumours. The owners said he was poisoned and many others thought he may have been killed for insurance money. I never heard the results of the autopsy.

Made for some great stories!

Latest posts