EXT and the genetic experiment

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
The genetic experiment I refered to previously is a daughter of EXT out of a daughter of EXT who is out of a daughter of EXT. She's a decent heifer, about the size that we like but a little shallow in the body, but that may be a feed situation rather then a genetic situation, or she could be just going through that gawky teenage stage, time will tell. Her disposition is a bit erratic. One time you can walk right past her the next she'll move away to have another cow between her and you. The first time through our facilities and she walked right into the catch pen, down the alleyway into the chute. When we head caught her she went to her knees, promptly stood up and was a perfect little lady from then on. Open the headgate and she walked right out and back in with the others. If that's what you get from 3 generations of EXT i certainly don't see anything wrong with the disposition.
Oh yah, bred her to Bon View New Design 878.

dun

She won;t be here. She'll be going back home to the vets in August or September. I know I'll have to go and check things out after she calves. I alwasy feel like a proud granpa when the calves hit the ground from cows I've AIed, either for us or for someone else.

dun

Jake":1d1a72cz said:
wait til she calves....

We had an EXT son that was crazier than a pet coon. About every EXT animal I've been around has been ready to blow you out of your boots. I've worked a predjudice of them by now from all the times I've had to jump or crawl on the fence due to a decendant of that bull

I know that a lots of people have problems with EXT sons and daughters,
dispositions. Many will tell you the same thing that Jake posted.
We have had several EXT calves, and never have had a disposition problem with any of them, either bulls or heifers.
They have all been very docile.
Maybe it might be the cows genetics.

They seem to be just smarter. They wait for the right moment on the show road to break free. They do kick also. Might be some that are alright in the field. Nice looking cattle though. I would think they would be to big though for you Dun.

She's really fairly small, about the size of ur prefered size for yearling heifers. But she isn't mine. The vet left her with me to get her with calf. She doesn't fit in since she is black. We have a few of them left but they're being phased out. I know "black is beautiful", but I prefer RED

dun

ollie":36xpchtx said:
They seem to be just smarter. They wait for the right moment on the show road to break free. They do kick also. Might be some that are alright in the field. Nice looking cattle though. I would think they would be to big though for you Dun.

hey dun, did you ever go back and look at this gal's calf??

yeah I know, I was on page 44, but I've been going through all these pages (backwards) and was just wondering how well you liked the calf??

Long unpleasent story! Since the vet is busy with his clients cows during the normal calving season, he wasn;t around when she tried to calve. Ended up pulling a monster dead calve. Heifer was down for a couple of days and when she got up he made burger of her. End of experiment.

dun

Do you remember if she calved to the AI date? No problems here with 878 BW's. Just interested. I've got a couple of EXT based females, so just more info to file away somewhere.

Lee

bwranch":1koag55i said:
Do you remember if she calved to the AI date? No problems here with 878 BW's. Just interested. I've got a couple of EXT based females, so just more info to file away somewhere.

Lee

She was almost a week early, but that was probably due as much to the calf size as anything else. Her mother was bred to the same bull and calved on schedule with a normal sized bull calf.
Could have been a one in a million nick or could have been that much EXT piled up isn;t a good nick with that particular bull and might have worked great with another. If she hadn;t been so small I would have been tempted to use her with a Red Angus bull that we use and know pretty much exactly what to expect.

dun

In some of the earlier posts on this thread where comments about how many of the EXT progeny have been nuts. I've never used any EXT since I hate crazy cattle. However, what is hte disposition of the Leachman Right Time cattle (he's an EXT son)?

UG, I can answer that question to a certain extent. I have a son of Leachman Boom Time. Sydgen Boomtime 4285. They don't come any gentler than this bull. He eats pears out of your hand and never crowds you for any reason. He just hangs around with ya with his eyes open waiting for what ever you are going to do! He is always playing with the mineral feeder that I made by Dun's plans. Seems he spends too much time butting it. He isn't mad, but likes to hit it just right to make it come back and bonk him on the head. He usually walks aways with a red head. I am going to get a picture of him after he butts it for a while.
Right now, when he is turned sideways, he looks identical to Leachman Boomtime. I read in a sale book where it says Leachman Boomtime is deceased. Wonder what happned to him. Seems he is a 1999 model. That is awfully young for a bull to die. We have cows still spitting out calves that are ten years older than that every year. I have totally no complaints on this line of cattle.

dun":2yjmprxa said:
The genetic experiment I refered to previously is a daughter of EXT out of a daughter of EXT who is out of a daughter of EXT. She's a decent heifer, about the size that we like but a little shallow in the body, but that may be a feed situation rather then a genetic situation, or she could be just going through that gawky teenage stage, time will tell. Her disposition is a bit erratic. One time you can walk right past her the next she'll move away to have another cow between her and you. The first time through our facilities and she walked right into the catch pen, down the alleyway into the chute. When we head caught her she went to her knees, promptly stood up and was a perfect little lady from then on. Open the headgate and she walked right out and back in with the others. If that's what you get from 3 generations of EXT i certainly don't see anything wrong with the disposition.
Oh yah, bred her to Bon View New Design 878.

dun
Inasmuch as Bon View New Design 878 (as good a bull as he is!) is a Great Grandson of EXT :shock: that is pushing the Line Breeding pretty close. All sorts of Genes can rise to the level of 'Whoa - Holy Smoke's that's CLOSE"!

DOC HARRIS

Jake":1rvg0wc6 said:
wait til she calves....

Well Jake, when my EXT daughters calve, I ride my 4-wheeler up to them, pick up the calf and step on my scales to weigh the calf. Then I put the calf down. I have never had any disposition problems with EXT cattle. I have an EXT son on my commercial cows and he is very gentle. Just my experience.

ollie":3jxrlliw said:
They seem to be just smarter. They wait for the right moment on the show road to break free. They do kick also.
I drug a whole string of EXT calves when I was in college. They will wait till you are right behind them to kick. They don't care if they get fed or not either. They will slam you around or kick the feed pan out of your hands. No matter to them. Hate feeds an EXT calf.

Matter of fact, I made the ultimate idiot choice a month ago. I traded some hay for a calf from the neighbor. I picked out and hauled home a beautiful blazed face black calf. Lots of guts. Ollie would approve I think. I knew she was out of the herd sire. I saw her mother at a distance, and since i'm familier with this herd...I recognized her and knew she had a good udder. Never asked the lineage of mamma till after I got her home. She has been thru the electric fence 3 times now. And is back in the feedlot cause it is the only place that will hold her. Mamma is out of EXT! :roll:

i just bought an ext daughter and have had no problems handleing her.she is out of a sleep easy cow.but i do use a border collie to geather the pasture and pen with this will tend to make cattle easyer to handle.but she has never offered to kick or even get high headed. i hope she is the rule and not the exeption :cboy: :D

Latest posts