Exposed bare skin on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Suzy Putman

Reaction score
Have a nurse calf that got a fever and has lost 70% of its hair. Doing well now but what about the sun on the bare skin? Will it blister and cause fever again? What do I need to do? I'm thinking spray on sunblocker til it starts growing back? Stupid thought??? :roll:

I know light colored hogs will get a sunburn. I suppose you could put sunblock on the calf 'till the hair grows back. Probably use one that is waterproof cause of the lickin. Just my thoughts.

Suzy Putman":2by592w0 said:
Have a nurse calf that got a fever and has lost 70% of its hair. Doing well now but what about the sun on the bare skin? Will it blister and cause fever again? What do I need to do? I'm thinking spray on sunblocker til it starts growing back? Stupid thought??? :roll:

No, it is not a stupid thought, and the sunblock is a very good idea, but be prepared with a Plan B should his adoptive mother lick it off. I would make sure he has a shelter he can get in out of the sun, and I would make sure he was in his shelter during the hottest part of the day, because his bare skin will burn and blister leaving him open to infection.

I once had a dog that got a couple of bald places on him, took to the vet, wasn't mange, he gave the dog some {depo medrol} injected in the areas where there was no, or little hair, I can't say how much to inject per area, but it fixed my dog. I have since seen a few people who have had the same thing done on thier heads, or face {beard}. It is injected just under the skin and in many places in the area, this may not help, and or may be too expensive, just a thought. Good luck.

tryinhard

Good thinking about sunburn. When I worked for a vet back in Colorado, he had a client that bought an expensive bull with pink skin on his bull parts. Well, we had lots of sunshine and just a small layer of snow for about a week and the sun reflected off the snow and burnt the poor bull. He wasn't very useful until he felt better. But he did get really friendly because the owner put some salve on him every day... :lol:

Have a horse that is a bald face Paint with blue eyes, we put sunblock on him all during the summer months here in Texas. He also has a full lenght face mask, but it always seem to end up in the pond. The sunblock works well for him, and it is much easier to keep up with. ;-)

Good luck!