Explanations from you

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms":1zprr18w said:
Shanghai":1zprr18w said:
OKC sold nearly 5000 head on Monday. If they sold them one at a time they'd still be there.
The bigger sales group like calves together. If you bring two 5 wt calves in they may be grouped with similar type and weight calves.
The singles usually have a problem, limping, too poor, horned, odd colored, and etc.
Sometimes they're are just mismanaged calves that need a little tlc and can be bought cheap

People that have a reputation of raising good calves and cut, wean and vaccinate are announced who owns them and what's been done to the calves.

Watch the Woodward sale on Friday and you'll see the ring man/owner giving the auctioneer a note telling about certain groups of calves.

IMO it pays to do it and if I'm buying I'd spend a little more for calves that I know have been weaned and vaccinated and likely to have less trouble with.

Edit
Stockers and feeders like groups of similar genetics , type, weight and etc so they're performance will be the same calf to calf

People sometimes get caught up in what they know and have seen and think it's the only way. The sale I use has never run 5000 head of calves but I have seen 1400 go thru one at a time in 3 hours. The buyers don't get to think about them long because they don't get to see or bid long. I do agree that you can make more on uniform loads but here if you have that you don't have to take them to a sale barn. Sale barns are for people like me. Not someone with 200 head of mamas.

The problem here is there are too many people that think any ole cow will do and don't even consider trying to maximize profit. .10 cents a pound adds up with 200 head.

There is a lot of difference in different regions of the country. 1400 head "in season" would be considered a light run here. Doesn't happen unless there is a weather event that keeps cattle from coming to town.

5000 head is about average for an in-season sale day. Some days they sell over 10000. And in the peak of the season a lot of sale barns go to selling 2 days per week.

I'd say the majority of sale barn business "here" is from producers with 200 head on up. Most of my neighbors have 250 - 400 head mama cow operations and sell at the sale barn. A few do use video auction, or private order buyers. But sale barns still do the bulk of the business.

Husband is looking into internet auctions....Also considered renting a semi stock trailer and hauling to OK city.....

our local sale has pre con calf sales 3 or 4 times a year.and they have anywhere from 2000 to 5000hd at each sale depending on the time of year.

bigbull338":3nkmpu1v said:
our local sale has pre con calf sales 3 or 4 times a year.and they have anywhere from 2000 to 5000hd at each sale depending on the time of year.
They have that here too. But, at weaning here, thats when the rain starts. It is such a pain to keep so many weanlings and if you lose a couple or they stand around in cold mud, you blow all you gain by selling pre conditioned ones.

TennesseeTuxedo":3dr7smo8 said:
Lol! I'm learning and you guys are great teachers.

Now when do I get my turn to play with your FarmVille stuff?
What the he// is farmville and where is it??

Taurus":2em3oi86 said:
TexasBred":2em3oi86 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2em3oi86 said:

Now when do I get my turn to play with your FarmVille stuff?
What the he// is farmville and where is it??
Its a game on Facebook.

It may be a game to you but its very real for me
I take my farming very seriously :D

Shanghai":zzzx0z1z said:
TennesseeTuxedo":zzzx0z1z said:

Its a game on Facebook.

It may be a game to you but its very real for me
I take my farming very seriously :D
Probably where you picked up all the ticks...........

I used to play farmville with Kevin's Grandkids, then they outgrew it. They would bring their computer over every weekend, and we would sit at the counter and re-arrange everything at our farms. It was fun. Then they stopped playing it and started playing the games where they were shooting everyone in wars. I was left all alone so I stopped playing it. :cry2:

Did anyone ever play "Truck Loader?" It was like a Bobcat with a magnet to pick up boxes that you loaded in a Bobtruck. You had to ride up and down an elevator to gather other packages to load. I liked this one I guess because it was like driving a tractor with a front end loader.

Chuckie":35dulwpx said:
Did anyone ever play "Truck Loader?" It was like a Bobcat with a magnet to pick up boxes that you loaded in a Bobtruck. You had to ride up and down an elevator to gather other packages to load. I liked this one I guess because it was like driving a tractor with a front end loader.
naw....use to play doctor with a little red head down the stret but that was a long time ago. :lol2: :hide:

TexasBred":jx4qmav0 said:
Chuckie":jx4qmav0 said:
naw....use to play doctor with a little red head down the stret but that was a long time ago. :lol2: :hide:
I still do that but it is a little heifer in the next pasture. :lol:

How many 500 lb calves does it take to make a pot load. The only time I am aware of producers calves being co-mingled is when it is a NETBIO sale in this area.

hurleyjd":3r0k487u said:
How many 500 lb calves does it take to make a pot load. The only time I am aware of producers calves being co-mingled is when it is a NETBIO sale in this area.

A semi load of about anything is considered 50,000 lbs. That will usually make the entire load gross the max of 80,000 lbs.
That being said, I've seen a few trucks of product gross close to 120,000 lbs.

Latest posts