Explanations from you

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1xb2fljv said:
Lets just say I never made a profit. Heck, I never even had plenty of my own awesome steak to eat. Facts are my grandson is bent on being a vet. He's already captured a load of background in animal husbandry. Whatever it is that she may think of me doesn't really matter in comparison.

I can pretty much count on never getting a call from her if she gets in a real mess. It is all good.
Keep on encouraging him. Large animal vets seem to be dieing breed .

Taurus":we8e7ec5 said:
cowgirl8":we8e7ec5 said:
Chuckie":we8e7ec5 said:
Do you sell one calf at a time when it goes through the sale barn or when a buyer comes in?
Are you not familiar with how sale barns work?
You have to remembered that not every sale barn runs singles or pairs. I sell our calves as a group at one of our sale barns. Bigger group, more $$$. But if there was an odd calf or a horned or an intact bull calf in that group, they might sort it out of that group and sell it as a single. I don't do well on singles as they bring less money for me.
How dare you !!!!! BTW I've seen as many as 70 heifers sell at one time at the Erath County Dairy Sale. They might let you cut one out of the group IF the seller is feeling good that day. Many others sell groups as well.

TexasBred":2hub4ccm said:
backhoeboogie":2hub4ccm said:
Lets just say I never made a profit. Heck, I never even had plenty of my own awesome steak to eat. Facts are my grandson is bent on being a vet. He's already captured a load of background in animal husbandry. Whatever it is that she may think of me doesn't really matter in comparison.

I can pretty much count on never getting a call from her if she gets in a real mess. It is all good.
Keep on encouraging him. Large animal vets seem to be dieing breed .

Thanks TB. That boy refuses to put on shorts. Boots and jeans are a must. Wears a straw hat to day care. Comes home and pulls out his toy cows and pens every night.

Hate to take the kid to the working pens with me. He'll be right up in the middle of them. Hate not to take him at the same time. He loves it.

He's got a child's rope. Ropes some every day. Dogs tuck tail and run when he gets that rope out.

They sale calves as singles most of the time here but the buyers are putting loads together of uniform calves as close as possible. Most folks around here run bulls all year and never have enough calves the same size even if the genetics would allow it. The bigger operations use a calving season and skip the sale barn. They usually can sale loads to the same buyers of the farm for more. With 200 head you would make more by using like genetics and putting together pot loads.

Oh me, let me be nice...

I ask if you sell one calf at a time and cowgirl8 says
Big Foot says
They work different, in different places.
Cowgirl says
I dont think some of these posters know how a sale barn works....what kind of question is that?
Tarus says
You have to remembered that not every sale barn runs singles or pairs. I sell our calves as a group at one of our sale barns. Bigger group, more $$$. But if there was an odd calf or a horned or an intact bull calf in that group, they might sort it out of that group and sell it as a single. I don't do well on singles as they bring less money for me.

Cowgirl wrote
every sale barn around us, unless its a special sale, do groups and singles. Mostly singles though. You can make a group and sell the group by the pound. I know some who do that. It has its pluses and it has its minuses.
TexasBred said
How dare you !!!!! BTW I've seen as many as 70 heifers sell at one time at the Erath County Dairy Sale. They might let you cut one out of the group IF the seller is feeling good that day. Many others sell groups as well.

Cowgirl8 wrote earlier
I do know you can submit a pen of calves and sell all at one price. I know people who do this, kind of scares me. I mean, if you get 205 a pound for a group of 10, but some of them might have brought 225 if not put into the group. but it could go the other way too, some may have brought 199...I hate everything about selling..... I need to sit and watch more often to get a grip of how it operates. I just hear bibbly blabbly yibbly dibblity....and you have to wait for the weight, or you get the weight first and then the calf. Its gotta be a very hard job, those guys have to get what their boss wants.

Does it get any more self explanatory than this?

cowgirl8":470tx2hb said:
Chuckie":470tx2hb said:
Do you sell one calf at a time when it goes through the sale barn or when a buyer comes in?
I was asking you.....And the comment on what kind of question that is, was directed at your question...

Not sure I want to get into this thread, but here goes. :hide:

IMO, it pays to keep your herd as uniform as possible, and sell in load lots if possible. The best selling lots of calves on sale day are always calves of the same color, sex, and weight, and enough to fill a tandem or triple pot.

My uncles used to pool calves together and many cattlemen still do in order to get larger numbers of uniform calves in the ring. My uncles bought Gelbvieh bulls from the same place and had similar preconditioning protcols.

Of course that won't work for everyone, but all of us can do what we can to present a uniform quality product in numbers on sale day.

I used to pull calves off in the fall and only keep what heifers I wanted for replacement. Toward the end of my carreer, I was selling the largest cut of steer calves off at weaning, and keeping everything else until I needed the cash flow. That usually meant I had some of the very latest steers left over as yearlings.

Then I would try to get a small but uniform group of calves together that would sell in one cut. Space and weight wise, my16' trailer bumper pull can haul about 14 - 500 lb calves. A few less if larger, more if smaller.

Kind of spread out the marketing risk, and I never had enough calves to sell in one cut for a semi load anyway.

John SD":20s4h86x said:

IMO, it pays to keep your herd as uniform as possible, and sell in load lots if possible. The best selling lots of calves on sale day are always calves of the same color, sex, and weight, and enough to fill a tandem or triple pot.

My uncles used to pool calves together and many cattlemen still do in order to get larger numbers of uniform calves in the ring. My uncles bought Gelbvieh bulls from the same place and had similar preconditioning protcols.

Of course that won't work for everyone, but all of us can do what we can to present a uniform quality product in numbers on sale day.

I used to pull calves off in the fall and only keep what heifers I wanted for replacement. Toward the end of my carreer, I was selling the largest cut of steer calves off at weaning, and keeping everything else until I needed the cash flow. That usually meant I had some of the very latest steers left over as yearlings.

Then I would try to get a small but uniform group of calves together that would sell in one cut. Space and weight wise, my16' trailer bumper pull can haul about 14 - 500 lb calves. A few less if larger, more if smaller

Kind of spread out the marketing risk, and I never had enough calves to sell in one cut for a semi load anyway.
This is what we do but for some reason many posters here think its wrong.

I just ran though our biggest herd, and i counted 7 red or grey cows out of 85..... I'm not sure if that would be considered non-uniformed...I have 5 red calves in this herd, 80 black... How uniformed do i need to be if that isnt?

cowgirl8":1n0rf4kg said:
John SD":1n0rf4kg said:

Then I would try to get a small but uniform group of calves together that would sell in one cut. Space and weight wise, my16' trailer bumper pull can haul about 14 - 500 lb calves. A few less if larger, more if smaller

This is what we do but for some reason many posters here think its wrong.

I just ran though our biggest herd, and i counted 7 red or grey cows out of 85..... I'm not sure if that would be considered non-uniformed...I have 5 red calves in this herd, 80 black... How uniformed do i need to be if that isnt?
Your biggest worry is running your home raised bulls with other herds and keeping replacements out of these bulls and also daughters out of your old Simmi herd as well. That will making the herd genetics less stabilized than before and it may increases the numbers of colorful calves being born.

GC - its your attitude and you how respond to people. The only thing you have been told is what could be done to improve by the pictures you have posted. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you change anything. It is a suggestion that you can take or leave. every time some one offers advise you come back with the same answer and defense. If you don't want an honest and a wide variety of opinions don't post pictures. I personally enjoy looking at the pictures you post and If you look back at my comments I have not criticized your animals. I have been critical of the way you interact with people.

B&M Farms":2re4gcoa said:
They sale calves as singles most of the time here but the buyers are putting loads together of uniform calves as close as possible. Most folks around here run bulls all year and never have enough calves the same size even if the genetics would allow it. The bigger operations use a calving season and skip the sale barn. They usually can sale loads to the same buyers of the farm for more. With 200 head you would make more by using like genetics and putting together pot loads.
True...that's why many order buyers may have a dozen different numbers with his name. Each one usually represents a size, color or type of calf. At the end of the sale he may have a half load of each of maybe a full load of each. May have to go to next sale tomorrow to finish out a load.

Chuckie":2bukq0zf said:
Oh me, let me be nice...

I ask if you sell one calf at a time and cowgirl8 says
Big Foot says
They work different, in different places.
Cowgirl says
I dont think some of these posters know how a sale barn works....what kind of question is that?
Tarus says

Cowgirl wrote
every sale barn around us, unless its a special sale, do groups and singles. Mostly singles though. You can make a group and sell the group by the pound. I know some who do that. It has its pluses and it has its minuses.
TexasBred said

Cowgirl8 wrote earlier
I do know you can submit a pen of calves and sell all at one price. I know people who do this, kind of scares me. I mean, if you get 205 a pound for a group of 10, but some of them might have brought 225 if not put into the group. but it could go the other way too, some may have brought 199...I hate everything about selling..... I need to sit and watch more often to get a grip of how it operates. I just hear bibbly blabbly yibbly dibblity....and you have to wait for the weight, or you get the weight first and then the calf. Its gotta be a very hard job, those guys have to get what their boss wants.

Does it get any more self explanatory than this?

Chuckie each reply looks like a contradiction of itself. :shock: :shock: Is that what you call meandering, grasping, stumbling or just meaningless mumbojumbo. ;-)

TexasBred, I think she makes up a lot as she goes along. She doesn't want to answer anything straight on so she starts an argument. I have noticed that she will make an argument about a subject that does not even exist at times to steer the posting elsewhere. Is there any truth in what she says.
All show and tell.

OKC sold nearly 5000 head on Monday. If they sold them one at a time they'd still be there.
The bigger sales group like calves together. If you bring two 5 wt calves in they may be grouped with similar type and weight calves.
The singles usually have a problem, limping, too poor, horned, odd colored, and etc.
Sometimes they're are just mismanaged calves that need a little tlc and can be bought cheap

People that have a reputation of raising good calves and cut, wean and vaccinate are announced who owns them and what's been done to the calves.

Watch the Woodward sale on Friday and you'll see the ring man/owner giving the auctioneer a note telling about certain groups of calves.

IMO it pays to do it and if I'm buying I'd spend a little more for calves that I know have been weaned and vaccinated and likely to have less trouble with.

Edit
Stockers and feeders like groups of similar genetics , type, weight and etc so they're performance will be the same calf to calf

TennesseeTuxedo":1ulce0kn said:
Self proclaimed novice here but common sense tells me that the buyers for the feed lots want to have a reasonable expectation as to how the calves they are buying are going to perform. When the can put together a pot load of (insert breed here) calves from established programs in the area they can afford to pay a little more for those calves in anticipation of solid performances down the road from feeders to hanging on the rail.

My :2cents:

Déjà Vu all over again.

TennesseeTuxedo":z17wczld said:
TennesseeTuxedo":z17wczld said:
Self proclaimed novice here but common sense tells me that the buyers for the feed lots want to have a reasonable expectation as to how the calves they are buying are going to perform. When the can put together a pot load of (insert breed here) calves from established programs in the area they can afford to pay a little more for those calves in anticipation of solid performances down the road from feeders to hanging on the rail.

My :2cents:

Déjà Vu all over again.

I could have said that but I don't have all them big words :dunce:

Shanghai":1hnre09d said:
OKC sold nearly 5000 head on Monday. If they sold them one at a time they'd still be there.
The bigger sales group like calves together. If you bring two 5 wt calves in they may be grouped with similar type and weight calves.
The singles usually have a problem, limping, too poor, horned, odd colored, and etc.
Sometimes they're are just mismanaged calves that need a little tlc and can be bought cheap

People that have a reputation of raising good calves and cut, wean and vaccinate are announced who owns them and what's been done to the calves.

Watch the Woodward sale on Friday and you'll see the ring man/owner giving the auctioneer a note telling about certain groups of calves.

IMO it pays to do it and if I'm buying I'd spend a little more for calves that I know have been weaned and vaccinated and likely to have less trouble with.

Edit
Stockers and feeders like groups of similar genetics , type, weight and etc so they're performance will be the same calf to calf

People sometimes get caught up in what they know and have seen and think it's the only way. The sale I use has never run 5000 head of calves but I have seen 1400 go thru one at a time in 3 hours. The buyers don't get to think about them long because they don't get to see or bid long. I do agree that you can make more on uniform loads but here if you have that you don't have to take them to a sale barn. Sale barns are for people like me. Not someone with 200 head of mamas.

The problem here is there are too many people that think any ole cow will do and don't even consider trying to maximize profit. .10 cents a pound adds up with 200 head.

Latest posts