Explanations from you

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm just a nobody from Podunk AR. I had 10 calves hit the ground in 10 days a couple years ago. We took that group to the sale at Wister OK with no special instructions. The barn ran them thru as a group. We have sold there for years. They did not ask me if I wanted my name announced as owner of the cattle, but they did. I suspect if you have calves that satisfy the order buyers, they do a bit of research and ask the barn to announce the name. I really don't know how it works. It's a strange bunch, those with others people's money and filling orders :lol2: You should take one of them to supper one evening.

Cowgirl8
The charolais was grey nosed crossbred. We figured him the worst of the bunch. He actually did the best for his weight class, against Angus sired black polled calves.
The F1 tigers did well also. None of them were a disappointment. The one I figured as lightest and least valuable, was indeed, but still brought good money for a 3 weight.
Only thing I see that is not really selling well is Longhorns. Even so, they are bringing more than they ever did in the past.
I was shocked to see week old calves sell for $500. NUTS.
Most of the slaughter bulls brought $2500 or more.

LauraleesFarm":1fi2kb4y said:
Cowgirl8
The charolais was grey nosed crossbred. We figured him the worst of the bunch. He actually did the best for his weight class, against Angus sired black polled calves.
The F1 tigers did well also. None of them were a disappointment. The one I figured as lightest and least valuable, was indeed, but still brought good money for a 3 weight.
Only thing I see that is not really selling well is Longhorns. Even so, they are bringing more than they ever did in the past.
I was shocked to see week old calves sell for $500. NUTS.
Most of the slaughter bulls brought $2500 or more.
The grey sold good because they know if it has charloais in it, it will have a good hanging weight. Sometimes grey, even if its grey from a different mix, does very good. Thats why i keep all my grey heifers. I dont always get a grey out of them, but i do sometimes.

cowgirl8":1b4xwikg said:
cow pollinater":1b4xwikg said:
Uniformity here is as much about everyone else's cattle as it is yours. You're fine to sell ones and twos as long as there are enough other ones and twos going through for someone to put together a mixed load of similar cattle. Black calves of at least half angus sell well even as ones and twos because it's so easy to put together a similar bunch of them... But if you're the only one selling eared cattle or your calves are a hundred pounds over what everyone else brought you'd better have a whole bunch of them or they're going to dock the crap out of your calves. If you DO have enough to make a set for someone then they sell just fine.

I have questions. So when weekend cowboy takes his 15 weanlings to the sale, they get put into a lot with grandpa's last of the litter trailer full and rancher wannaby's bumper pull load, they go into the ring and get bids. Now, all these calves are mixed up, they run through like lightning(i've never been to a sale where calves are done in numerical order).....all really really good calves, but all mixed up so that each one of each guys calves are all jumbled. Now, do the buyers stop and think, did that calve belong to the 3, 5 minutes ago and i must look to see if the rest of this guys calves match or if i can get a trailer load? Or did he think, heck those are good calves and they fit my program and bids. We took one calf to the sale a while back and he got top dollar for that weekend. He was huge and was colored like a holstein...but he was beefy, growthy and a sharp buyer knew he was angus and sim....That was one calf and he was big and he didnt get docked..

Just so I'm Clear on this. The highlighted Red above is designated by what? Maybe you should look at what the demographics are for beef producers in this country before you LABEL or look down your nose at folks.

M5farm":2ijoxjsh said:
cowgirl8":2ijoxjsh said:
cow pollinater":2ijoxjsh said:
Uniformity here is as much about everyone else's cattle as it is yours. You're fine to sell ones and twos as long as there are enough other ones and twos going through for someone to put together a mixed load of similar cattle. Black calves of at least half angus sell well even as ones and twos because it's so easy to put together a similar bunch of them... But if you're the only one selling eared cattle or your calves are a hundred pounds over what everyone else brought you'd better have a whole bunch of them or they're going to dock the crap out of your calves. If you DO have enough to make a set for someone then they sell just fine.

I have questions. So when weekend cowboy takes his 15 weanlings to the sale, they get put into a lot with grandpa's last of the litter trailer full and rancher wannaby's bumper pull load, they go into the ring and get bids. Now, all these calves are mixed up, they run through like lightning(i've never been to a sale where calves are done in numerical order).....all really really good calves, but all mixed up so that each one of each guys calves are all jumbled. Now, do the buyers stop and think, did that calve belong to the 3, 5 minutes ago and i must look to see if the rest of this guys calves match or if i can get a trailer load? Or did he think, heck those are good calves and they fit my program and bids. We took one calf to the sale a while back and he got top dollar for that weekend. He was huge and was colored like a holstein...but he was beefy, growthy and a sharp buyer knew he was angus and sim....That was one calf and he was big and he didnt get docked..

Just so I'm Clear on this. The highlighted Red above is designated by what? Maybe you should look at what the demographics are for beef producers in this country before you LABEL or look down your nose at folks.

You beat me to this M5. As far as I'm concerned she just blew away in shred of credibility that she may have had. I honestly don't understand why anybody responds to her post.

She probably was frustrated when she wrote it. It sort of bothers me too but what the heck. She also acused someone of being envious earlier. What the heck is that about?

These threads have been good. There are the typical backlashes, but everything is informative nonetheless.

I postulated she is second guessing her operation, and that's fine too. Doesn't hurt to look around. She would be well served to sit through a couple of dozen different auctions. Not everyone grew up with a cattle background.

I'm going to just let it all go and figure she is frustrated with someone, maybe me.

backhoeboogie":1rkf3vs2 said:
She probably was frustrated when she wrote it. It sort of bothers me too but what the heck. She also acused someone of being envious earlier. What the heck is that about?

These threads have been good. There are the typical backlashes, but everything is informative nonetheless.

I postulated she is second guessing her operation, and that's fine too. Doesn't hurt to look around. She would be well served to sit through a couple of dozen different auctions. Not everyone grew up with a cattle background.

I'm going to just let it all go and figure she is frustrated with someone, maybe me.

You may be right but she must be frustrated with everyone all the time.

I am a weekender. The truth doesn't hurt.

Wannabe? I don't think so. By the time I was 18 I had my gut full of it. Swore I would never own a cow. But look at me now! The "wannabe" truth doesn't hurt any either. I made career choices back in the late 70's.

What bothers me is the insults to friends. Insults to peers here in this forum.

M5farm":1i52j3xu said:

M5, apparently you don't know who you're dealing with. Wait and minute and she'll tell you in case you missed it the first 50 times. That isn't a putdown. That's "gospel". Watch. :!: :!: ;-)

TexasBred":2y632jxk said:
M5farm":2y632jxk said:

M5, apparently you don't know who you're dealing with. Wait and minute and she'll tell you in case you missed it the first 50 times. That isn't a putdown. That's "gospel". Watch. :!: :!: ;-)

Lets just say I never made a profit. Heck, I never even had plenty of my own awesome steak to eat. Facts are my grandson is bent on being a vet. He's already captured a load of background in animal husbandry. Whatever it is that she may think of me doesn't really matter in comparison.

I can pretty much count on never getting a call from her if she gets in a real mess. It is all good.

Grandpas last of the litterr is a neighbor whose property backs into ours. Raised longhorn crossed and did everything the old fashion way. He ran around 125 cows and kept a bull on year round, so he was constantly going to a sale. He drove a ford ranger and pulled a bumper pull that everyone in this area wondered why he never wrecked. You could tell when he was on his way by the scrape marks on the gravel road where his trailer jack would drag..
Rancher Wannaby]..Son's father in law. Runs a herd of brangus on land that belonged to his dad. FIL works full time and overgrazes his pastures, has never taken a cow to the vet and has never pulled a calf. From what i can tell when i pass by his pastures when i check our cows is he keeps a lot of open cows.
Weekend Cowboy A couple who just bought 80 acres of landlocked land that borders a hayfield of ours. They got lost on this 80 acres and called 911. The land marks they gave for firemen to find them by was a JD tractor in a mowed field...they sent me on my 4wheeler to let the bigger trucks know if that was the field they were in which was a hay field of ours. While waiting for the trucks, they told me their plans for that land is to put some cows on it to clear it out....lol...although i was polite and didnt laugh out loud because they were tired and confused.....
These are names i used that i have for some others around us and were not meant to be any of you guys....

And i had a valid question.. For the people who say i must have uniformity, where is uniformity important here?

Chuckie":ofqkaw5b said:
Do you sell one calf at a time when it goes through the sale barn or when a buyer comes in?
Are you not familiar with how sale barns work?

cowgirl8":2blihdwl said:
Chuckie":2blihdwl said:
Do you sell one calf at a time when it goes through the sale barn or when a buyer comes in?

They work different, in different places.

Bigfoot":1nwmw6f3 said:
cowgirl8":1nwmw6f3 said:
Chuckie":1nwmw6f3 said:

They work different, in different places.
I dont think some of these posters know how a sale barn works....what kind of question is that?

cowgirl8":rn6bppfb said:
Chuckie":rn6bppfb said:
You have to remembered that not every sale barn runs singles or pairs. I sell our calves as a group at one of our sale barns. Bigger group, more $$$. But if there was an odd calf or a horned or an intact bull calf in that group, they might sort it out of that group and sell it as a single. I don't do well on singles as they bring less money for me.

Taurus":z2urs686 said:
cowgirl8":z2urs686 said:
Chuckie":z2urs686 said:
You have to remembered that not every sale barn runs singles or pairs. I sell our calves as a group at one of our sale barns. Bigger group, more $$$. But if there was an odd calf or a horned or an intact bull calf in that group, they might sort it out of that group and sell it as a single. I don't do well on singles as they bring less money for me.
every sale barn around us, unless its a special sale, do groups and singles. Mostly singles though. You can make a group and sell the group by the pound. I know some who do that. It has its pluses and it has its minuses.

Latest posts