Explain your Pre-Show routine-Grooming

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Ive been looking at the enourmous amount of products out there for show cattle..regarding their coat and grooming...Im curious..if anyone wouldnt mind divulging what products they use for what on their show cattle? I know what alot of them DO..just not sure which ones are neccessary and which ones are..apply before or after clipping,ect.

Thanks!
Sarah

We don't use a whole lot of products, and we don't really try to grow the hair on our cattle. Here is what we do:

At the show, we wash them completely the first day. Then, we usually spot wash the other days; unless they get really dirty. We usually use dish soap and, for the white ares, Sullivan's Bright Lights. After washing, we put about 2 pumps of a Kirkland conditioner and a splash of white vinegar in a bucket and fill with water. Then we pour it over the animal and squeegee most of it off.

Then, we spray them with Kleen Sheen and blow dry and comb them. On show days, we use Zoom Bloom and Kleen Sheen. Sometimes, it helps to put conditioner, like Maine n Tail in the end of the tail to keep it soft and tangle free.

On show days, we also use Final Bloom for the whole body. We have found that Luster Pink Sheen Spray, for people works the same.(http://www.lusterproducts.com/products/Pink/08.htm). There's also a people Olive Oil spray that's supposed to work well, we haven' tried it yet.( Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Nourishing Sheen Spray, http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... prod368097) It helps to spray these things in front of the blower hose, when the animal is dry.

We don't use much for adhesives, but for the legs, we use EZ Comb first, then a stronger one; like Prime Time. To take the adhesive out, we use Hocus Pocus.

This is what I do on show day....
Give them a bath in the morning, I use Wisk laundry detergent and a medicated shampoo from Sullivan's if they have dandruff. Then use a rice root brush to pull the water out of their hair (in a downwards motion) then brush forward, blow them dry, hair up and forward. Right before the show I blow dry them clean, I pull the hair on the legs up using Sullivan's EZ Comb and a scotch comb, pull up the tail on the top and back of tailhead, square off with scissors if uneven, spray with EZ. Hold the tail upside down and tease it a little bit (or blow it with the blower for a second), spray with EZ. I pull the hair on the back and sides of the rump forward. To finish up I use Zoom Bloom and blow it in. Be careful not to spray the Zoom Bloom on the areas where you sprayed adhesive because it will loosen it. Sometimes I use Sullivan's Pink Oil for an overall finish. The hooves can be sprayed with Clear Magic or black finisher depending on color. Finisher can also be used, in whatever coat color, for any bald spots or white areas created by the adhesive. Put on a show halter that coordinates to your animal and you are good to go.
I usually have them clipped at this point. Not sure if you need help with clipping or not!
Good luck

my pre show.
if the show is a prospect show i wash the day before. and i clipp a week before the show. when we get to the show i rinse and spot wash my calves. blow them out find out what class im in pull legs and do tail 2 classes before.

BUT at fair i do it a little diffrent. i leave school at about 10 and wash my steer get him all clean then put carpet down in his stall so he can lay down before i get him back up at 4 to really get ready. go home take a nap. come back to grounds pull him out if there is any nastys like poo wassh that area off throw him in the chute let him eat feed while i blowdry him. spray on oil avoiding the legs and tailhead. then about 2-3 classes before mine[depending on how fast rhe judge is and how big the classes are] pull legs and ball tail.

thats my pre day! oh and for fair we clipp about 2 weeks before then do any touchups the week before and mabey a few at fair.

thanks everyone! Gave me some ideas..

Heard some people use liniment to make the hair poof out..has anyone tried this? Im not sure I want to try it, as the alcohol in it might have a drying effect on the hair? our is it so minimal, its not worth worrying about?

spinandslide":2qrjmaqo said:

Heard some people use liniment to make the hair poof out..has anyone tried this? Im not sure I want to try it, as the alcohol in it might have a drying effect on the hair? our is it so minimal, its not worth worrying about?

Yes we use a concoction that Sullivans told us about. For daily use after rinsing and drying, we mix
6 parts kleen sheen 2 parts linament and 2 parts rag oil. helps keep the shine and luster to the hair.
On show day I bump up the amount of linament to help the hair pop. (or on clipping day)

Avalon":1awzxrws said:
spinandslide":1awzxrws said:

Yes we use a concoction that Sullivans told us about. For daily use after rinsing and drying, we mix
6 parts kleen sheen 2 parts linament and 2 parts rag oil. helps keep the shine and luster to the hair.
On show day I bump up the amount of linament to help the hair pop. (or on clipping day)
Avalon, does any of the oil atract dust? I know alot of horse grooming products that are oil based attract dust very badly

It can attract dust if you add too much oil. The goal is to only be adding enough oil into the mix so that the hair maintains luster and restores the natural oils that are lost in rinsing. To spray any of these product on dirty cattle is definatley asking for the calf to act as a dust rag. So all bets are off if they are dirty.

but don't use oil on your calf before you clip liniment i ok but oil makes the hair harder to manage. it make it want to lay down more. thats what kirk stierwalt told me. you could also use shaving cream or williams electric shave to make hair pop too.

Latest posts