Expert Angus Question #4

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
You are being called as an expert witness on Angus bulls.
You may only answer the question. You may not ask any questions.
Question #4 : Which is the best son of Ten X available today?
You must explain your answer.
This is NOT a discussion on the merit of Ten X.

From what ive seen and used, XXL would be my top pick with Discovery close. The XXL`s are leaving everything behind, there jet black, enough bone and shape to hopefully make real cattle. Early I thought they may have to much hair, but don't think that's gonna be an issue.

I honestly had never looked at him. Very impressive. Just wondering how much his CED will change. I know at one point Discovery was +14 and now he is +5. He has a big body for +13 CED. The amount it could change is about 3.5 so that is still above average for CED epd. Anyone used him on heifers?

Just received my ST Genetics catalog in the mail this week and M A R Double XL 320 does look impressive, his photos and his EPDs. His calving ease numbers, rate of growth and good feet all score points, as does his maternal pedigree. Has anyone used him?

Then there is V A R Discovery 2240, Deer Valley All In, Thomas Big River 4081 and Ponca Creek Pepper. Ten X has some good young progeny out there.

Air gator":2kkr6i7w said:
I honestly had never looked at him. Very impressive. Just wondering how much his CED will change.
I know at one point Discovery was +14 and now he is +5. He has a big body for +13 CED.
I like Double XL's picture better than All In's... but comparing the numbers

All In ........ vs .... Double XL
ce 12 (15%) acc .90 vs .... ce 13 (10%) acc .53
bw 0 (27%) acc .96 vs ... bw -1.74 (7%) acc .74
ww 72 (2%) acc .93 vs ... ww 64 (8%) acc .62
yw 125 (1%) acc .91 vs ... yw 113 (6%) acc .52
sc 1.00 (27%) acc .93 vs ... sc .56 (63%) acc .60

I think you'll have to agree ALL IN is the clear winner especially when factoring in the much higher reliability to boot.

For me just me, and I've seen both, no matter the numbers Double XL is the clear winner hands down. If your breeding numbers then Discovery would be your clear winner.
Accelerated had XXL now ST and as soon as they can get him sexed I'll use him alot more!

BSE,
For heifers or bulls? Have you used Double XL or know about whether he is reliable enough to use on heifers?

Air gator
We flushed to him 2yrs ago because of pedigree, we've got yrlings and some Sept calves. Not all embryos the heaviest being 72lbs and that was an embryo, id say average mid to upper 60's. I know a guy that used him on heifers no issues so next fall I'll use him on heifers no worries.

BSE,
Thank you. I really hadn't paid too much attention to ST Genetics because I'm not that interested in using sexed semen at this point and I obviously overlooked Double XL when he was with Accelerated Genetics. I have looked at Herbster Angus because of their high sperm cell count. Not sure if HA has many heifer bulls though.

Discovery is the only ten x son that I have any direct experience using before this current calf crop but we did use some Stud this year and so far his calves look really good in a small sample size. Will be using more of him this year

The Rita 6108 cow seems to be the hot cow family now. I think the other cow family that is popular is the sitz henrietta pride line. I am impressed by the MAR Double XL 320 bull.

Latest posts