Experimental Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

You stated that your experiment was, "The goal is of coarse a live sellable calf, and a live slaughter cow in better shape."

Well you got your live sellable calf (I'd keep the calf) and you have a live cow in better shape that you could sell for slaughter...

A successful experiment... completed.

From here on in you can change the parameters any way you like.

It's all you, Buddy...

(But I'd keep them both... and Big Sexy agrees with me.)
Go for it, @MurraysMutts!!!

Went to the sale today. Three shorthorn heifers came in. Good looking heifers weighing 447. They couldn't gat a bid on the group so they said pick what ever you want. They ended up selling one at a time $1.39, $1.37, & $0.90. Good black and baldies heifers the same size were $1.85. The last I knew it takes the same amount of feed to raise them. Some Herefords that size sold for $1.48. Charolais steers weighing 462 brought $2.05. Best black steers in that size sold for $2.24.

Been a few years but they use to be 2 different associations and then throw in the mix of crosses of the two called dual purpose. Beef association took all 3 at one time . Had a good friend that lived near Knoxville Tn . He went to Oklahoma and bought a load of milkers, all 1800 to 2000 lbs . My dad and I got 2 . Ours were 1500 -1600 lbs . More trouble than they were worth! Had to hand milk cause they gave so muck milk . One got mastitis and we lost her despite all we did .

Went to the sale today. Three shorthorn heifers came in. Good looking heifers weighing 447. They couldn't gat a bid on the group so they said pick what ever you want. They ended up selling one at a time $1.39, $1.37, & $0.90. Good black and baldies heifers the same size were $1.85. The last I knew it takes the same amount of feed to raise them. Some Herefords that size sold for $1.48. Charolais steers weighing 462 brought $2.05. Best black steers in that size sold for $2.24.
They sold 2 bulls yesterday.
1 was Mostly red.
And another that looked near identical to whitey. The 2 young bulls did ok. But a ways back from the others for sure!

While we used some Shorthorn sires in our breeding program, I'm not fully up to date on the different registries/breed associations, but do know that there's the American Shorthorn Association, the American Milking Shorthorn Society, and now the Heritage Shorthorn Society, which IIRC, is an outgrowth from the 'Native' classification of the AMSS - animals that could trace 100% back to the original Coates' herd book without introduction of any Red Holstein, Illawarra, Maine-Anjou, etc.

Pics of your shorthorn mama and new baby are very nice, the baby heifer is a real keeper. Also, the mama is not that old maybe 6 or 7 looking at the photos. I would keep them both and gentle the mama, and the baby. I had shorthorn cattle for a lot of years. Breed the cows to shorthorn bulls and also, black bulls for blue hair babies, show calves. Shorthorn cattle, most of them are an exciting breed. The big money calves are shorthorn and crossbred bulls.

No more guesses?

I'll let it ride for a bit.....

Gonna get the new babies settled in today.
And put out more hay. And feed.

Almost forgot!
There was a 1000lb almost all white shorthorn bull (wide wide wide and thick!)
Only brought .80

Last edited:
Alright. Alright!
I'll let ya'll off the hook now. Gawd!

So the pair sold a couple weeks ago. We just have not had the right time to get together and make the deal happen. Shortly after she calved, I was contacted about selling them. This was before/ABOUT the same time I put them on a couple places for sale.
Anyway, a somewhat deal was made, but not a definite "I'll take it"

I got an "I'll take it" from the ad on cl. She was listed for $1750. Gave them til the weekend. In the meantime, the first to contact was greatly disappointed. But we discussed it and hoped for the best. Well, as luck would have it for the original party, the "I'll take it" folks backed out.
We had discussed (the first party and i) about how I do things. And I wouldn't have felt right, selling out from under the "I'll take it" people. That's just the way I do things. When I tell someone I'll do something, that's the way it is.

SO! We got the deal done this weekend. She went off to her new home in another state. And, honestly, I'm so glad they got her.
The cow will be a.i. bred to the bull, Redhawk, from the poll I posted.

The calf will be handled and shown! By one or both of the children. (Not my neighbor, that was whole nother thing. One of those I already sold her, you'll have to wait your turn deals)

I sincerely hope the folks that got her do update this thread at least occassionally, as I think it would be sooo KOOL to continue her story here. I understand some people are very private people and that's fine too!

Perhaps they will throw me a pic from time to time to post if nothing else.

Now, down to what the thread was originally started about. How to buy a couple cows and make a dollar. Or at least not lose your butt in the process! The one cow dying was very bad.
Folks, I got extremely LUCKY!!
(I'll expound on that later, but most points have been covered throughout the thread)
Everyone that has been following this thread knows exactly what I had in the pair.

I made about 9 bucks, and I'm ok with that. 🙂

Alright. Alright!
I'll let ya'll off the hook now. Gawd!

So the pair sold a couple weeks ago. We just have not had the right time to get together and make the deal happen. Shortly after she calved, I was contacted about selling them. This was before/ABOUT the same time I put them on a couple places for sale.
Anyway, a somewhat deal was made, but not a definite "I'll take it"

I got an "I'll take it" from the ad on cl. She was listed for $1750. Gave them til the weekend. In the meantime, the first to contact was greatly disappointed. But we discussed it and hoped for the best. Well, as luck would have it for the original party, the "I'll take it" folks backed out.
We had discussed (the first party and i) about how I do things. And I wouldn't have felt right, selling out from under the "I'll take it" people. That's just the way I do things. When I tell someone I'll do something, that's the way it is.

SO! We got the deal done this weekend. She went off to her new home in another state. And, honestly, I'm so glad they got her.
The cow will be a.i. bred to the bull, Redhawk, from the poll I posted.

The calf will be handled and shown! By one or both of the children. (Not my neighbor, that was whole nother thing. One of those I already sold her, you'll have to wait your turn deals)

I sincerely hope the folks that got her do update this thread at least occassionally, as I think it would be sooo KOOL to continue her story here. I understand some people are very private people and that's fine too!

Perhaps they will throw me a pic from time to time to post if nothing else.

Now, down to what the thread was originally started about. How to buy a couple cows and make a dollar. Or at least not lose your butt in the process! The one cow dying was very bad.
Folks, I got extremely LUCKY!!
(I'll expound on that later, but most points have been covered throughout the thread)
Everyone that has been following this thread knows exactly what I had in the pair.

I made about 9 bucks, and I'm ok with that. 🙂
You did the right thing, a man's word is his bond, and without honor what does that make us. I can answer, a scumbag.

Latest posts