Experimental Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

No baby pictures before August ? 😶
Who knows...
New guy pregged em. He was pretty close on the one I sold. Well, as close as close could be I guess. She calved in September and he called her 6 months bred. So yeah, there's that.

I've also bought em where he called em 5 months, and they bag up and calve a month later! Bessie was one of em. Different Pregger Tester guy tho

Who knows...
New guy pregged em. He was pretty close on the one I sold. Well, as close as close could be I guess. She calved in September and he called her 6 months bred. So yeah, there's that.

I've also bought em where he called em 5 months, and they bag up and calve a month later! Bessie was one of em. Different Pregger Tester guy tho
I hope he is right about how far along they are, gives you time to put some weight on them. They will be better prepared to calve :)

Excellent project, love it. Hope it goes well, cows dont look half bad.
Hope you dont mind me posting a few pics of my side project. I paid $800 for her couple weeks ago. 8 by 7. Plans to make her into burger this fall. & shes helping calm down the wild dexter steers that went missing for 2 weeks (long story).
0405222005.jpgScreenshots_2022-04-18-05-02-02.pngScreenshots_2022-04-04-19-37-48.png
And just have to post these 2 big boys when picking up the cow. I think they sold between .90-.95 cents
0404221900.jpg

Excellent project, love it. Hope it goes well, cows dont look half bad.
Hope you dont mind me posting a few pics of my side project. I paid $800 for her couple weeks ago. 8 by 7. Plans to make her into burger this fall. & shes helping calm down the wild dexter steers that went missing for 2 weeks (long story).
View attachment 15688View attachment 15689View attachment 15690
And just have to post these 2 big boys when picking up the cow. I think they sold between .90-.95 cents
View attachment 15691
Not a bad cow for 800!
Not a bad way to put meat in the freezer. The calf should bring what ya gave or close anyway. As long as markets hold.

Has she had it yet?? 😆

Them brimmer boys look a bit thin huh

Last edited:
I bought shorthorns like that for the one and done when back on the coast. Better grass and flat ground. Over here I be thinking twice, maybe. But I never buy them that far out from calving. I want a calf relatively soon. One of the advantages to the program is less time feeding the cow when compared to year round ownership of a cow.
I bought 41 cows between February 3 and March 24. I now have 35 calves on the ground. Maybe 36 I haven't been out there yet this morning. Late this week or early next week the calves will get branded and the cows will go to grass. Grazing cost a lot less than hay.

Not a bad cow for 800!
Not a bad way to put meat in the freezer. The calf should bring what ya gave or close anyway. As long as markets hold.

Has she had it yet?? 😆

Them brimmer boys look a bit thin huh
I was pleased with price too. Probably could hav gotten her slightly cheaper if i sat on my hands longer but ahh well. No baby yet.

Yes they were thin. If memory serves me, they weighed about 1800. They had 10 yo brahma cow go through, 10 by 7, that was really thin. I almost raised my hand but didnt.

I bought shorthorns like that for the one and done when back on the coast. Better grass and flat ground. Over here I be thinking twice, maybe. But I never buy them that far out from calving. I want a calf relatively soon. One of the advantages to the program is less time feeding the cow when compared to year round ownership of a cow.
I bought 41 cows between February 3 and March 24. I now have 35 calves on the ground. Maybe 36 I haven't been out there yet this morning. Late this week or early next week the calves will get branded and the cows will go to grass. Grazing cost a lot less than hay.
Yep it is 36 now. For a week I had been saying #34 will have a calf tomorrow. She finally decided today was the day. Better than #39 who calved on Saturday in a couple inches of sloppy wet snow.

Right!! Got a bit sidetracked didn't I?
These 2 will be short term. I will let em grow the calves as long as grass holds out. And like I said, plans can be modified to feed hay for a month or two IF my regular hay thing works out.

I'd like my regular herd to make me some 550lb calves at weaning! In 7 months or less preferably.
I don't see how you can lose on these 2, Murray. Their calves, even if they are non-black, horned heifers should bring back the $600 or close to it. And the cows will bring that or maybe more when you sell them.

You said you have 2 places, 35 acres and 45 acres, with 15 cow each? Get rid of the grade bulls, and buy one registered Brangus bull. You could move all the cows to one place for 30-45 days to breed them. You'd end up with a uniform calf crop of black polled calves, and I guarantee you they'd weigh 550 or more at 7 mos. Last year our "Kudzu Corriente" herd's steer calves weighed between 500 and 540 at 6 months. We used registered Ultrablack bulls that year, and these cows are around 700.. maybe a few were close to 800 lbs.

I think with a good bull you would be very close to getting or exceeding that 550lb weight at 7 mos.

I don't see how you can lose on these 2, Murray. Their calves, even if they are non-black, horned heifers should bring back the $600 or close to it. And the cows will bring that or maybe more when you sell them.

You said you have 2 places, 35 acres and 45 acres, with 15 cow each? Get rid of the grade bulls, and buy one registered Brangus bull. You could move all the cows to one place for 30-45 days to breed them. You'd end up with a uniform calf crop of black polled calves, and I guarantee you they'd weigh 550 or more at 7 mos. Last year our "Kudzu Corriente" herd's steer calves weighed between 500 and 540 at 6 months. We used registered Ultrablack bulls that year, and these cows are around 700.. maybe a few were close to 800 lbs.

I think with a good bull you would be very close to getting or exceeding that 550lb weight at 7 mos.
I'm gonna update soon. They didn't make 500

I wouldn't touch 2 good jerseys like that with a milking shorthorn bull. But I have had about 15 different shorthorns over the last many years and every one has been a dud, or a bit#h, or something else. From not much milk, to not breeding back, to having weak crappy calves.... a few were sale barn cows, several were bought off farm... couple were 2nd calf and 2 were 1st calf heifers. I think I am just not supposed to have shorthorns...
Either breed them AI to jersey sexed semen if a replacement is wanted... or use a good angus or even whatever "better bull" he gets to breed his beef cows to.... Mine have nice calves bred to our angus bulls... and the females make good cows to take a 2nd calf most time and let them run with them... by the 3rd or 4th generation of replacement heifers, you never know they had some jersey in the background... but they milk just a little better....

Get a good registered Brangus bull, and you will get there. Except for Bessie and Brandy, I'd AI them with sexed semen from a Milking Shorthorn bull.

I wouldn't touch 2 good jerseys like that with a milking shorthorn bull. But I have had about 15 different shorthorns over the last many years and every one has been a dud, or a bit#h, or something else. From not much milk, to not breeding back, to having weak crappy calves.... a few were sale barn cows, several were bought off farm... couple were 2nd calf and 2 were 1st calf heifers. I think I am just not supposed to have shorthorns...
Either breed them AI to jersey sexed semen if a replacement is wanted... or use a good angus or even whatever "better bull" he gets to breed his beef cows to.... Mine have nice calves bred to our angus bulls... and the females make good cows to take a 2nd calf most time and let them run with them... by the 3rd or 4th generation of replacement heifers, you never know they had some jersey in the background... but they milk just a little better....
Weaning weight thread is updated.
I think had they been steers, we might have made 500. Especially if I had waited the full 7 months.

I am still considering a bull change.
I've got til end of May

Latest posts