experienced cattleman needed

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1f75wftt said:
FARMR":1f75wftt said:
I did quit using ivermectin several years ago when I lost calves 2 years in a row. Why I am pursuing this is I told the vet NOT to use it and he did anyway. I dont think that I am the stupid one here. I am out $20000 dollars due to an unethical and irresponsible vet.
You'll be out twice that much if you pursue this cause you won't win unless the judge and the jury is made up of guys that flunked out of vet school. Change vets, change meds, use a different wormer, work cattle at a different time of the year and move on.

TB and I agree. Lawsuits, I've seen a few. Nobody wins except the lawyers. Better to look at the entire regimen around these losses. Stress? Combination of meds? Clumsiness? Those are tough losses, but don't expect to get any of it back from the court. The justice system is NOT an answer in any county in the US I am aware.

Did you have the calves necropsied? Could be anything from grubs to pneumonia as a cause of death. Unless there's a necropsy report, for all anyone else knows the calves stood under a metal building during a lightening storm and died that way. Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

On a side note, why on earth go after the vet students??? unless they were 4th year students it was likely a "field trip." And, if field trips there are anything like field trips at WSU, chances are they were simply doing what the guy in charge told them to do and haven't enough livestock experience of their own to even know the difference between one vaccine and another yet.

FARMR -- You've probably had to file a witness list w/ the court for this case -- who are your witnesses? Vet? Students? Drug reps? Others with similar experience to yours? Who? Besides you? And the currently unknown expert? WHO is on your side?

FARMR,
Did you have a post done on any of these calves that you have lost? If you lost your calves for 2 years in a row, I would have been definitely have had posts done more than one of those years (actually would after the second calf).

My personal thoughts are this would be thrown out because you do not have PROOF that the wormer is what caused the death, unless you did have a post done on them to show what caused all of these animals to die.

KNERSIE":2nj3ev9j said:
You'll have better luck if you were looking for a retarded large animal vet...
He might be in luck, those retarded vets have been known to post here from time to time.

Latest posts