experienced cattleman needed

Help Support CattleToday:

FARMR

Reaction score
I need an experienced and educated cattleman as an expert witness in a lawsuit. If you have a DVM or or AG degree that would be preferable. The lawsuit will take place in mid Missouri. E-mail : [email protected]

FARMR":1bmflngj said:
I need an experienced and educated cattleman as an expert witness in a lawsuit. If you have a DVM or or AG degree that would be preferable. The lawsuit will take place in mid Missouri. E-mail : [email protected]

If you're looking for someone with a degree (an "expert" normally has one), you might check to see who's on staff as their cattle person at the University in Columbia. They have a big ag program.

I am looking for a retired large animal vet. Please send a name and contact info. I cannot find a working vet that will go against the UMC vet clinic. It seems that UMC has their hand in everones pockets around here. THX

If a suit over vet care runs about the same as a suit for a human medical malpractice suit, a major term is "standard of care within the community" -- i.e., the community you live in. Obviously, a small-town vet is not likely going to have the benefit of testing and treatment facilities that a large practice (or Univ.) would have access to, just as a small town hospital doesn't have all that a big city hospital would. And a retired vet may not have kept up on continuing education requirements. It ain't 'gonna be easy to find what you're looking for. Good luck!

FARMR":1ot8xylo said:
I am looking for a retired large animal vet. Please send a name and contact info. I cannot find a working vet that will go against the UMC vet clinic. It seems that UMC has their hand in everones pockets around here. THX

You'll have better luck if you were looking for a retarded large animal vet...

You'll have to make it very lucrative if you have any hope of acquiring the services of a vet for your cause.

FARMR":nud8mhly said:
"Expert Witnesses" do not work cheap AND they better be expert when they take that oath and that hot seat. It's going to be hard to win a suit against a product that has been used on millions of cattle with no adverse effects AND the lot number your purchase came from has probably long disappeared.

There are 3 drugs involved here. 7-way vaccine, Bovishield Gold 5 and ivermectin. I have used all 3 many times and I know from experience that when I give ivermectin injection in dec-jan here that my calves often die 4 days later. These calves will be healthy and eating well, then will be found dead the next day. Some will be sickened and will die over the next several days. I am not going to let the vet or UMC off the hook. I will fight them as long as I can. I am learning that there are no ethics or responsibilty at the university or state level. Both will take everything you have if you owe them money, but will make you fight their entire legal department if they owe you money.

It could be the reason you're having trouble finding help is that out of the millions of cattle treated with those medications, yours are the only ones that every had these problems? An ethical vet can't testify that the medications caused your issues if they don't believe it.

FARMR":3q0d4cf4 said:
There are 3 drugs involved here. 7-way vaccine, Bovishield Gold 5 and ivermectin. I have used all 3 many times and I know from experience that when I give ivermectin injection in dec-jan here that my calves often die 4 days later.

Then why sue? Just quit using them and your unique problem is solved.

Jogeephus":3ncbjso1 said:
FARMR":3ncbjso1 said:
There are 3 drugs involved here. 7-way vaccine, Bovishield Gold 5 and ivermectin. I have used all 3 many times and I know from experience that when I give ivermectin injection in dec-jan here that my calves often die 4 days later.

Then why sue? Just quit using them and your unique problem is solved.
Took the words right out of my mouth Joe....what's the old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? :shock: :shock:

I did quit using ivermectin several years ago when I lost calves 2 years in a row. Why I am pursuing this is I told the vet NOT to use it and he did anyway. I dont think that I am the stupid one here. I am out $20000 dollars due to an unethical and irresponsible vet.

There was the vet and 4 students and I made sure that they all heard. The vet offered me some samples of Meramec, and that is when I told them NO.

Unless you can persuade one of those students to put it in writing that they heard, you're back to square one.

FARMR":8g67i6u2 said:
I did quit using ivermectin several years ago when I lost calves 2 years in a row. Why I am pursuing this is I told the vet NOT to use it and he did anyway. I dont think that I am the stupid one here. I am out $20000 dollars due to an unethical and irresponsible vet.
You'll be out twice that much if you pursue this cause you won't win unless the judge and the jury is made up of guys that flunked out of vet school. Change vets, change meds, use a different wormer, work cattle at a different time of the year and move on.

FARMR":2ok7uqzn said:
There was the vet and 4 students and I made sure that they all heard. The vet offered me some samples of Meramec, and that is when I told them NO.
I don't think that matters. I'm pretty sure that unless you can prove that the medications you told them not to use actually caused you problems, you will lose. And you will never be able to prove that.

Latest posts