Expected extreme heat wave temperatures

Help Support CattleToday:

According to the news, it was 104 yesterday and 115 in Roseburg today. That is something like 40 degrees above average. I had to drive over half way to Portland yesterday and I was surprised to see most of the cattle along the way, out grazing in the sun. We checked water and cattle early in the morning both days and then stayed in the house most of the rest of the day. I have had way too much time to waste at this computer!!

I am so glad we have AC. When we built this house in 1995 I told the heating contractor we don't need AC. I never had it before, not even in my car. He said the heat pump is more efficient and you don't have to use the AC if you don't want to, so I gave in. Well, I have used it ever since, and now I am so spoiled I never want to go back. That was about the same time that you could no longer buy a car without AC being a standard option. I can't believe I once considered AC an unnecessary luxury in my car. There are still many people in this area without AC. That is likely to change now.
My old truck is my first vehicle with AC.. it's not super cold, but it sure is nice
The shop (my bedroom) has no AC and it gets stiflingly hot.. I found some water misting jets I put outside the window and the exhaust fan draws it in.. helps a little

Window units... cheap and effective.

We went to my great-grandparents farm house last weekend and stayed. No ac... just a nice hill with some shade trees. You do what you need to early, sit in the shade during the heat of the day, then go back out a couple hours before dark.

We do have window units in the bedrooms though for sleeping. That's where I draw the line. 😂

well, we just smashed another record.. again. 47.2C (117F), which is hotter than the all time record for Las Vegas
From those of us who dealt with an out of character freeze in February, deepest sympathies. When you're not used to the extremes, the situation is that much worse.

From those of us who dealt with an out of character freeze in February, deepest sympathies. When you're not used to the extremes, the situation is that much worse.
We're used to about 105F in the summer, so while this is definitely not something we're used to, it's not that far off... work in the morning and evening, lay in the shade in the day and drink..

Couple more days and I think it'll cool off to ordinary summer temps.. Last night it was 87F at 2am

I was peacefully laying in bed. Suddenly it sounds like someone is landing a plane on our house. The sound just keeps on. I get up and look. The wife had said she was going to mow the lawn early. She was doing that at 5:00. It is about 60 degrees outside and still over 70 in the house. She had opened every window in the house to try and get cool air in and then circled the house with the lawn mower. I never realized just how loud that lawn mower is.
It is supposed to hit 105-106 today. The heat is starting to move east. Today or tomorrow will be our hottest day.

It's almost always 100 here in summer.
I sure feel for you guys tho.
That big ol hard deep freeze that lasted way too long back in February was brutal here.

Several folks lost way too many animals 'round here. The newborn calves were the most heartbreaking.

Eared or not!

Does that say 0 humidity??
Probably an 8 or 9.
I have a granddaughter that recently moved to the left coast up there.
Her fiancé and her rented an apartment without A/C.
That IQ test can be a cruel teacher.
The majority of places in Western Washington or Oregon don't have AC. In fact it would be rare to find one with AC. Normally there is only a couple days all summer that get above 90 degrees. Lived there all my life. Never had a car with AC until 2008. I can't think of a single person I knew who had AC in their house.

Latest posts