Expansion Choices and the Future

Help Support CattleToday:

IndianCreekcowboy

Reaction score
Looking at getting some varying opinions and advice on this.

South Mississippi, Bahiagrass Summer pastures, overseeded ryegrass in Winter. Gently rolling hills with Soil types capable of 1 AU to 1.5 Acre carrying capacity.

150 Acres with 105 open in Bahiagrass pastures, perimiter fences need rebuilding $3,000.00/Acre
or
300 Acres recently clearcut pine plantation that would also need; perimeter fences built, land cleared, Probably 1.5-2.5 Tons Lime per acre, Planting to Bahiagrass. $1,500.00/Acre

I don't need all the land open or in pasture for several years, even thinking of Silvopasture on all but maybe 80-120 acres if I were to decide on the 300 acres.

I have outside income to make the land note, yet would only have evenings and weekends to do the fencing, would hire contractor to rake land, spread lime and plant pasture.

if it was me money for money being even id buy the 300ac place.an put in the new fence,an clean up an start planting the pastures.an heres the big plus youll double the land.

Go slow on production numbers- if you go the 300 acres.
Around here it takes several years for ex-timberland to start rocking and rolling.
If you hit even a mild drought before then-- your grass stand will suffer.

Make SURE you can get seed, theres a real shortage this year. And I didn't see you factoring in heavier fertilizer applications.
And around here the timberland was mostly grown on the crappier soils- I personally would want the best soil I could buy.

PS- might need to also factor in picking up rocks for several years. They are real useful to fill in any washes that you might get started, before the grass takes over.

I bought 200 acres and cleared it . You will have just as much money tied up in the long run as buying pasture . The only good part is the note is lower now . I paid for most of the improvements out of pocket . My grass isn't where it needs to be but I'm running about 60 head on it now .

Latest posts