Excessive drool and swollen?

Help Support CattleToday:

I notice cactus pads in your picture. If they are in that hay those small sharp spines would stick in her tongue like porcupine quills. The tongue does a lot of work pulling in hay and grass.

I've never used magnets but if I found hardware like that in my hay I would definitely use them.
I never did until we lost 3 of our original cows to hardware. Were they fed silage that had shards of metal before we purchased them? Or because the ranch hadn't been properly maintained by the previous owners? And then we took a direct hit by a tornado with debris spread over a mile away. That pretty much solidified the new rule: every cow, bull & retained heifer gets one - no exceptions.

MM> The cable and cactus photo is a sad comment. One of the side benefits of rotational grazing is not being put in a situation of buying
hay at the risk of what you encountered. I do make it a point to scour the old barnyard and surrounding area for any scraps of metal or
nails after a rain. I know there was an old Jesus nails barn there at one time and the people who lived there before me fed wire tie bales and
did not pick up the wire for zilch. I do have a little magnetic drag bar that I can pull around in the tight places that will hold up to 20 lb but it
will still miss an old nail or rusty wire from time to time. Maybe you could try some goats and let me know how they work?

Bottom line is I won't be buying hay from these folks again!

Thanks for the tips everyone. She will most likely be getting a magnet just in case. I've a couple others I may load and have pregged etc while I'm at it

Just a thought-
My goats are having trouble with blue tongue virus now, same thing though bottle jaw but they also have crusty sores on lips and in their mouths. It's common after droughts according to my vet. They were diagnosed through blood tests. Cows and deer also can get it.

Just a thought-
My goats are having trouble with blue tongue virus now, same thing though bottle jaw but they also have crusty sores on lips and in their mouths. It's common after droughts according to my vet. They were diagnosed through blood tests. Cows and deer also can get it.
Not saying your vet is wrong but goats get sore mouth and it is just as you describe. It can spread through the goats and even to humans.
Blue tongue causes swelling of the tongue and lips but not the crusty sores you describe.

Does anyone have a source for the larger magnets? Something big enough to pull behind a side by side. Used would be better if cheaper.
Ours is similar to this and while it clearly isn't meant to be pulled behind my Polaris, I have no pride and have tied the handle to my hitch. It's heavy! And no, it absolutely doesn't work as well as what I believe you're wanting, but it still picks up quite a bit of metal.
image_17692.jpg

Ours is similar to this and while it clearly isn't meant to be pulled behind my Polaris, I have no pride and have tied the handle to my hitch. It's heavy! And no, it absolutely doesn't work as well as what I believe you're wanting, but it still picks up quite a bit of metal.
image_17692.jpg
It might me ok. I'm just looking for something to drag around. We had old buildings and houses there 75 years ago so I'm sure there is things that a cow doesn't need.

It might me ok. I'm just looking for something to drag around. We had old buildings and houses there 75 years ago so I'm sure there is things that a cow doesn't need.
I've magnetized screwdrivers by wrapping them with wire and touching both ends of the wire to a battery. I wonder if you could make your own larger tool and magnetize it in a similar way using a welder?

I've magnetized screwdrivers by wrapping them with wire and touching both ends of the wire to a battery. I wonder if you could make your own larger tool and magnetize it in a similar way using a welder?
I have done the screwdriver a bunch of times. Worth a try with a welder

If you are wanting heavy duty type, Grainger has several different ones... Yes new, and yes, can be pricey.... but what is a couple of flat tires worth; or a cow or calf that gets hardware and you have to sell it or worse bury it???? They advertise some to be hung from a skid loader or a pickup bumper... ought to work good for a UTV vehicle bumper...
Not saying you can't make your own... just offering another possibility...

If you are wanting heavy duty type, Grainger has several different ones... Yes new, and yes, can be pricey.... but what is a couple of flat tires worth; or a cow or calf that gets hardware and you have to sell it or worse bury it???? They advertise some to be hung from a skid loader or a pickup bumper... ought to work good for a UTV vehicle bumper...
Not saying you can't make your own... just offering another possibility...
Thanks. I will look on Grainger website.
I actually bought some for using in the river. They are good but not big.

you can make a pretty strong electromagnet using an old transformer. The primary out of a microwave will work so will a transformer from an old desktop. You might have to power the microwave transformer with a portable generator but the one from a desktop computer will pick up about 1-2lb wired into 12vdc. Lots of youtube vids on making one.

Or, you can just buy some bar rare earth neodymium magnets off Amazon if you don't mind prying whatever you attract off the manet.
strong stuff!