Excessive drool and swollen?

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Guys n gals...

Got a cow that I've caught drooling for no apparent reason here past few days. Just kind of running off lower jaw/lip area. Like stringy drool.

Also!

Shes got what appears to be a "frog pouch?"
Under her chin, NOT like an abcess.
Soft and flowy.. more like excessive leather-ish.

Now In this past couple weeks a few things have happened here.

1. I've scraped up manure from around hay rings. All areas where hay has been fed past years. I've got a huge pile. Need to do it more often.

2. Neighbors have brought in some new poultry. Not young ones. Young adult size. They go bugging in our pasture regularly.

I've been feeding same hays as usual. Tho with mixed grass and Prarie hay that's a lot of variable in and of itself.

Mildy concerned here. Actually. I'm freaking out a little!

Thoughts?

O! Aside from said drool and pouch, she's acting perfectly normal. Eats good. No other symptoms that I can tell.

Could be wooden tongue.
That was my thought too, we had a cow like that last year and that's how she acted at first, then got much worse, then later on noticed a couple more acting that way and we treated them sooner before it went any further and they got over it.
Could also be worms, when we had sheep if they got bad wormy they would get bottle jaw.

That was my thought too, we had a cow like that last year and that's how she acted at first, then got much worse, then later on noticed a couple more acting that way and we treated them sooner before it went any further and they got over it.
Could also be worms, when we had sheep if they got bad wormy they would get bottle jaw.
How did u treat them?
Any worries of abortion from treatment?

Woody tongue is a good guess. Put on some gloves, open her mouth and grab her tongue. It will be stiff like hard cardboard. If the cow is preg, use LA300. I have had three cases of it and all survived. Iodine treatment on the first one, LA 300 on the other two.
They always suggest the Iodine treatment but the Tetracycline antibiotic seemed to work just as well on mine.

Sodium iodide, IV, by your vet is the preferred treatment for woody tongue. When you check, look for sores or an abscess and the tongue will be hard (hence, woody). And give her a magnet. Woody tongue (if that's what it is) is sometimes a precursor to hardware - ingesting something that caused a cut/puncture/abrasion on the tongue and is now in the rumen.

Worms are another possibility. You'll see more of a bottle jaw and an injectable wormer is your best.

Anaplasmosis can cause excessive drooling. Check to see if her gums and vulva are white instead of a healthy pink, eyes may look jaundice.

Vet!!!!!

Update a little. The drooling has ceased.
Upon googling pictures of bottlejaw I found a pic that is "close" to representing. I apologize again. As it's once again dark here.
My vet is out til next year. I may have to figure something else out. Very similar to this picture. Tho not near as pronounced. I'm having a hard time believing it's johnnes as I've never had an issue. No weight loss. Poop is normal. I believe it's hay related. But what do I know?

Is time of the essence? Do i need to find and after hours vet?
Menn-Bailey-bottle-jaw-BEST-2-300x208.gif

Last edited:
That cow looks wormy. Can you pick up an injectable wormer at a local feed store?

I wouldn't worry about Johnes unless she's spewing diarrhea and losing condition.

BTW stemmy hay can also cause abrasions or sores on the tongue. Have you had a chance to examine her?

I'm having a hard time believing it's johnnes as I've never had an issue.
If you've ever been around a johnnes cow and SMELLED them 🤮🤮🤮 you will remember that for sure. It is the most vile retched rotten smell imaginable.
How old is the cow? Johnnes usually doesn't break until after 2nd lactation.

I'm still leaning towards worms.

@TCRanch I have not.
Working on getting a vet to get me going but may be Monday at the earliest.
I could get her in the chute and feebly attempt to do something but honestly, I'd like to get her vetted and a good injection of wormer in her. I don't have nose tongs an really wouldn't know how to clear her mouth/saliva ducts anyway and do a good job. I'm really leaning towards a hay issue. But worms are always a possibility. Especially where I've stirred up so much ground recently.

@SBMF 2015
It's Bessie!! And it's killing me!
Shes what about 6 yrs old now I reckon

That picture is NOT Bessie. Just a random internet pic showing the pouch/bottlejaw

@TCRanch I have not.
Working on getting a vet to get me going but may be Monday at the earliest.
I could get her in the chute and feebly attempt to do something but honestly, I'd like to get her vetted and a good injection of wormer in her. I don't have nose tongs an really wouldn't know how to clear her mouth/saliva ducts anyway and do a good job. I'm really leaning towards a hay issue. But worms are always a possibility. Especially where I've stirred up so much ground recently.

@SBMF 2015
It's Bessie!! And it's killing me!
Shes what about 6 yrs old now I reckon
Does she $hit split pea soup that smells so bad that you want to hurl? If her poo has any form I'd say you're safe.
I don't remember swelled jaws in any of the johnnes cows that I've seen

Does she $hit split pea soup that smells so bad that you want to hurl? If her poo has any form I'd say you're safe.
I don't remember swelled jaws in any of the johnnes cows that I've seen
Absolutely not!
Perfect poo!

That makes me feel better. If I can get a set of tongs and a helper I may see if I can check her mouth out. Appreciate ya'll immensely!

Absolutely not!
Perfect poo!

That makes me feel better. If I can get a set of tongs and a helper I may see if I can check her mouth out. Appreciate ya'll immensely!
Could you take a fecal in (if you're considering worms) anywhere sooner than a vet could come out? That might eliminate one variable.