Exceeding Expectations

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Couldn't be more pleased with my first calf heifers this year but there's always one that stands out. Little Minion is my smallest, weighs maaaaybe 1200 lbs and is raising one of the largest steers of all our spring calves - including those raised by some of my older cows that clock in around 1700 lbs. Hoping she gives me a heifer next year!

Jake":fvtd0ipi said:
dun":fvtd0ipi said:
Is she named after the little dog from Green Acres?
Going to guess it's after the little yellow dudes off of Despicable Me.
No & no. Not a fan of dogs that can also be used as an accessory and have never seen the movie (or want to). Named her Minion because she was a fave, right from the start. :heart: She's also the only heifer her mama has given me & I'm super excited to continue the lineage.

TCRanch":ulipd4qp said:
Jake":ulipd4qp said:
dun":ulipd4qp said:
Is she named after the little dog from Green Acres?
No & no. Not a fan of dogs that can also be used as an accessory and have never seen the movie (or want to). Named her Minion because she was a fave, right from the start. :heart: She's also the only heifer her mama has given me & I'm super excited to continue the lineage.
At least you left of the "fillet" part

TCRanch":1v6ntm8g said:
Couldn't be more pleased with my first calf heifers this year but there's always one that stands out. Little Minion is my smallest, weighs maaaaybe 1200 lbs and is raising one of the largest steers of all our spring calves - including those raised by some of my older cows that clock in around 1700 lbs. Hoping she gives me a heifer next year!

Have her flushed to the bull of your choice, and use a few of your cows as recips.

dun":3tdq4hrx said:
TCRanch":3tdq4hrx said:
Jake":3tdq4hrx said:
At least you left of the "fillet" part
Got that right! No way could I eat her :shock:

True Grit Farms":113fv25j said:
TCRanch":113fv25j said:

Have her flushed to the bull of your choice, and use a few of your cows as recips.
Something to think of next year. All my spring calvers are bred & she's bred by my fave bull.

TCRanch":1d4giqr3 said:
Just got back from the Sale Barn. That steer weighed 778 lbs, weaned 60 days. That's my girl!

Did you get a good price for that steer?

Too bad they are not all that big.

TCRanch":3ul6d5fv said:
Bullitt":3ul6d5fv said:
TCRanch":3ul6d5fv said:
Just got back from the Sale Barn. That steer weighed 778 lbs, weaned 60 days. That's my girl!

1.49. My steers that averaged 677 were 1.58

I calculate $89.56 more for the big steer.

The price per pound seems to start dropping over 600 pounds. I think they call that diminishing returns.

Oh, well. Every bit of money helps.

We'd all be happy with steers like him.

TCRanch":1hfi56q0 said:
Bullitt":1hfi56q0 said:
TCRanch":1hfi56q0 said:

1.49. My steers that averaged 677 were 1.58

Congrats!

TCRanch":h74ctpaq said:
talltimber":h74ctpaq said:
TC, did he outdo the others so much because of her, or his resourcefulness?
I'd say both. He was eating cubes out of my hand when he was 6 weeks old; he definitely never missed a meal!
Oh, wait. You mean robbing? Never saw it but doesn't mean it didn't happen. She's a little helicopter mom and never far away.

Latest posts