Ex-show FB Maines and a prospect RA heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
These 2 maines are 2001/02 drop calves. So they're 8-9 years. When we got out of the Maines they went into the commercial herd. Still producing good calves. We're in the dry season at the moment but they seem to be holding themselves ok. First one had her calf weaned, second one is still nursing a heifer calf.
19372_271461443641_518128641_4650411_4745862_n.jpg

19372_271461448641_518128641_4650412_8172712_n.jpg

This heifer is from the new RA stud herd. Providing she handles weaning she'll be in the show team. Should be weaned shortly actually. I think she's lovely. Her shoulders are just so smooth and laid in well. Good length and capacity for her age also. Will be interesting to see how she goes.
19372_271461453641_518128641_4650413_191571_n.jpg

Nice looking.
I have a good friend that try to buy the winning heifers at the 4H shows around here. Mostly to help the kids. The side effect is that he ended up with some darn good cattle. He has some 12 plus year olds still doing their job.

novatech":fjo7rd36 said:
Nice looking.
I have a good friend that try to buy the winning heifers at the 4H shows around here. Mostly to help the kids. The side effect is that he ended up with some darn good cattle. He has some 12 plus year olds still doing their job.

Those PB Maines are wicked Mothers though. And just beautiful to handle. I really wish there was more demand other wise I'd go into them in a heart beat.

If maine's in America looked like that I think they'd get more attention from the commercial guys as opposed to just being a show breed.

Jake":tzn0g67b said:
If maine's in America looked like that I think they'd get more attention from the commercial guys as opposed to just being a show breed.

Australians seem to be pretty conservative so we hardly ever had any luck with them. Because the FB Maines are so rare now days finding good AI sires was difficult. Unfortunately I think the FB Maines will die out. Next time I'm in France I may actually see if I can find anything good and try and bring something home. Because they are a good little breed. I always found they had quite an interesting growth pattern too. We would show them at 9mths to sometimes 24 months and they were always quite well fleshed out. But then I had a little bull I fed and trained that I found out got to 1300kg. So they actually seem to mature later but still have good growth right from weaning. They're traditionally dual purpose, so milk wise they're great, as you can see with the lactating cow.

Latest posts