EVs

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder what would happen if all the R&D going into electric went to improving fuel economy.

First car was a 67 Impala with a 396, a tank of a car. If you kept your foot out of it, it got 13 1/2 mpg. 3 speed auto transmission, the bulletproof Turbo 400. Don't remember gears, maybe 3:55. 15" wheels.

My 2007 Chevy 1500 truck bought new had a 4.8L, so around 290 CI. 4 speed auto, 17" wheels. best I ever got was 14 1/2 mpg. Seems that could've been much better in comparison. Granted the truck is heavier, but it also has 40 years technology behind it.

I've heard many stories about 50 mpg carbs back in the old days. Inventors died mysteriously and their designs disappeared when they wouldn't sell. May just be stories though.

I bought a used Prius last November (hybrid), and love it for my commute. I get between 65 and 70 MPG on it, and drive 78 miles one way to work (we live very rural, and I drive to Springfield, MO as a teacher, so 5 days a week). I have been doing the drive for 5 years now, and got tired of filling my Ford Escape twice a week. With my Prius, I fill up about every 10 days, and it is 10 gallons.
So, no charging, and bi-weekly fueling. Win win for me. My family teased me at first, until they saw how much I save in fuel now, and my middle daughter now wants the car when I replace it for a newer model (she lives in Springfield during the week - she is going to MSU in the nursing college, and wants to be a travel nurse). Anyway, best purchase I have made for my commute.

A battery/electric truck won't work for me now, but I have a lot of battery powered tools. Waiting patiently for a good electric side-by-side. Tired of toting and pouring fuel. I'm a puss in my golden years.
I'm waiting for one too. Maybe a life-size Barbie car?

Dodge recently unveiled it's latest concept Electric car that is expected to make it into production around 2024.
It has several oddities (to me anyway).
Electric vehicles have no true transmission and have only 1 gear, but Dodge has opted to make this vehicle 'feel' like it is shifting gears as speed increases.
More oddly, since it is going to be known as Charger Daytona SRT (which was a sort-of muscle car), they are piping an electronically created audio signal to the rear of the car and out hidden speakers to simulate a traditional piston driven exhaust sound.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/17/dodge-unveils-electric-muscle-car-concept-charger-daytona-srt.html

Having only a torque converter is one of the main appeals of and EV

I'm not completely surprised that they want it to make some noise though. EVs can be quiet to the point of dangerous

Dodge recently unveiled it's latest concept Electric car that is expected to make it into production around 2024.
It has several oddities (to me anyway).
Electric vehicles have no true transmission and have only 1 gear, but Dodge has opted to make this vehicle 'feel' like it is shifting gears as speed increases.
More oddly, since it is going to be known as Charger Daytona SRT (which was a sort-of muscle car), they are piping an electronically created audio signal to the rear of the car and out hidden speakers to simulate a traditional piston driven exhaust sound.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/17/dodge-unveils-electric-muscle-car-concept-charger-daytona-srt.html
This exact idea was in a movie some years back. It had Kevin James and I think Adam Sandler or Vince Vaughn in it. That was not the premise of the movie but that was their job in ti they developed the sound technology.

Found it The Dilemma .

Hmm the reason I was asking is when the wife and I were on our way back from a trip to Colarado I needed fuel. When we were at the fuel station I noticed several Tesla charging stations, there were 3 Tesla cars with people inside of the cars. I was thinking, how long have they been there and how much longer will they be there. And just how much were they paying just to sit there. I don't think I could ever just sit there for god knows how long charging a car. Seems like it would take for ever getting somewhere that 1 charge wouldn't take care of the round trip. I filled up 5 times going up and back and i get more miles on my fuel than they do A charge. Don't see me getting one either.
I don't understand why they aren't made to swap batteries instead of waiting...

Four things about EVs I don't like.
1. I don't believe in the Global Warming climate change BS.
2. You have to be constantly worried about range (which varies with the load and season) and you can't bring any spare cans of electricity.
3. Sitting around at recharge stations.
4.. The electric grid of the entire United States will have to be rebuilt because our infrastructure can't handle it.

Latest posts