EVIL GEESE!

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I got these 4 geese from a friend about a year ago or more, they never really were this mean, but all of the sudden they are just evil. last night I was walking up to the house and the one bully, started appraoching me, I grabbed a lid off of a bucket, and started swinging it at it, then it just charged me. I know this seems ridiculus to be scared of a goose, because they have no teeth, but the evil one is really evil. It jumped up at me, sqauking and carrying on, and chased me all the way to the deck. If it could have climbed stairs, I would have been toast!

Guess I never realized just how mean they can be, I named the one Demon.

Funny thing it seems to only be this way with me. My son went out and either the think had a brain freeze, but he actually was petting it on its head, until the brain freeze departed and then it was like WHOA, eyes popped open, and the attack began, now that was so darn funny, I nearly laughed myself to tears!!!

Someday if I ever get the video camera out I'm gonna make a video of Demon and the other evils, could be a hoot.

GMN

you be careful around the mean geese.because they can hurt you.as well as cause you to hurt yourself.

Geese have been and still are used in some parts of the world as guard and warning animals.

Romans did, Greeks did it, heck it is done right here where I am now - you see a flock of geeses around that mud shack - you want to be real careful walking up to it.

Bez+

Be careful geese can break bones.
Now take a broom and chase that nasty little sucker all over the yard and smack it in the butt and head with that broom.
I only had to do that once. I also chased them flapping my arms. May seem silly, but it works. My geese left me alone after that.

Also it is nesting season so they will get meaner around this time.

Bez+":wesro8ia said:
Geese have been and still are used in some parts of the world as guard and warning animals.

Romans did, Greeks did it, heck it is done right here where I am now - you see a flock of geeses around that mud shack - you want to be real careful walking up to it.

Bez+

They definetely are guard animals. Funny thing is I have a BIG Newfoundland and when I first got the geese, he tried to kill one of them, and got disciplined not to do so, after I saved the evils life. Now he is the only dog they go by, and don't try to attack, He usually sits in the yard, and they will come and form a circle around him. The other week I was petting him and the Demon climbed over the dog, and jumped up at me, like it was jealous I was petting my dog, ever since then the demon has been after me more so than before.

All the other dogs they will chase and peck if they can catch them.

GMN

We have several of them that are nice, and a couple that are just plain mean. When they stick that neck out and you, grab it and shake the be nice out of them. Be careful that they don't get you with the wings, they'll beat you to death.

Best guard dogs/early warning system out there!

grannysoo":2eeb4dl9 said:

Depends on the breed. Guinies are the best alarm system there is, if you can stand the racket anyway

They should mellow out before long. We kept Tolouse (sp) geese, the big gray and white ones, for several years and the ganders would get very aggressive in the spring. We had a fenced in run for them at the time so we just didn't let them out to free range until their hormones subsided. They can pinch hard enough with their beak to leave a serious whelp and bruise, one of them got me good on the inside of my arm while putting the water bucket over the fence. The bruise was between golf ball and baseball size.

dun":2jx1jhuu said:
grannysoo":2jx1jhuu said:

Depends on the breed. Guinies are the best alarm system there is, if you can stand the racket anyway

I've had both of them dun. Seems that the guinies get picked off one by one by the foxes or hawks. The geese are very resistant to that, so they tend to survive much better. I like guinies, but you have to keep replacing them ever few years.

Therefore, my comments that geese are better. It's hard enough for anything to kill them, and dang near impossible to run them off. :lol:

grannysoo":pybej3ox said:
dun":pybej3ox said:
grannysoo":pybej3ox said:

I've had both of them dun. Seems that the guinies get picked off one by one by the foxes or hawks. The geese are very resistant to that, so they tend to survive much better. I like guinies, but you have to keep replacing them ever few years.

Therefore, my comments that geese are better. It's hard enough for anything to kill them, and dang near impossible to run them off. :lol:

We never had any luck with things killing the guinies, seemed like there were more and more every year. Neighbors dog cleaned out a dozen geese in one night. I suppose it would have gotten the guinies if it could have climbed a tree. Personally I like geese, not the chinese, the emdens and toulouse and even pilgrams. But of the 3 the pilgrams seem to tend to be a little more snotty at times.

GMN":ei7l64y1 said:
Does anyone know how to tell the sex of them?

GMN

It's easier to see it done and learn then to have it explained. You depress above and below the cloaca, if something protrudes it's a gander if not it's a goose. Very similar to sexing rabbits.

GMN":1c1kyxez said:

GMN

GMN...don't know about geese but with baby chicks you can hold them in your hand on their back...the females will pull their legs and feet up close to their body...the rooster chicks will relax their legs and let them hang out straight..might try it on those little "gooses".

BTW...my wife came home with 3 yesterday...still got yellow feathers but about 6-7 inches tall. Probably will turn out to be more Coyote Dinner.

TexasBred":1halfq96 said:
GMN":1halfq96 said:

GMN

GMN...don't know about geese but with baby chicks you can hold them in your hand on their back...the females will pull their legs and feet up close to their body...the rooster chicks will relax their legs and let them hang out straight..might try it on those little "gooses".

BTW...my wife came home with 3 yesterday...still got yellow feathers but about 6-7 inches tall. Probably will turn out to be more Coyote Dinner.

I'd like to get some adult ducks, I have another goose who use to be the guardian for 2 ducks, but they died of old age, and now he tries to befriend these 4 evil demons I have now, and they won't be friends. He just looks so lonely out there.

I doubt I would be able to handle the Demons to even try to sex them, they hate me with a dire passion!

GMN

I luv herfrds":1kz9a5hm said:
If you can't stand the Demons, there is also a great goose recipe to try. :D ;-)

Well, truthfully I like them, they are fiesty for sure, but unique in their own way. :devil2:

GMN

IMG_1280.jpg

The evil demons!

Latest posts