Everything Pales in Comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Sometimes we get so caught up in the little things that happen to us that we fail to realize how terrible some people have it. Ive been checking on a heifer for over a week and found her down Saturday morning with calf head out both feet and the head and tongue swollen. I gathered my stuff got him pulled and the thing was alive , she couldn't get up so I gave her a shot of dex and left her to try and recover , cleaned the calf and got colostrum in him. She did get up and was shaky for a about 12 hrs but penned her and calf and she is trying to mother him. he has worse case of contracted tendons ive ever seen and found a way to get up on 3 legs but right leg doesn't work right for him . Its not dis located but I assume I injured it pulling him . it was not a hard pull . I have not seen him nurse but otherwise he seems healthy and ive given him a bottle Saturday night and Sunday . This morning he wouldn't suck. Ill decide what to do when I get in early this afternoon. My gut says put him down. I hate losing one and can not imagine how those affected by the wildfires cope with losing all of theirs.

Could he just be sore or have a pulled tendon from you pulling him? As you know contacted tendons is no big deal, no taking a bottle is a big deal though. I'm sure you'll figure it out, and yes we need to count our blessings every day.

True Grit Farms":1bvxstny said:
Could he just be sore or have a pulled tendon from you pulling him? As you know contacted tendons is no big deal, no taking a bottle is a big deal though. I'm sure you'll figure it out, and yes we need to count our blessings every day.

An esophageal tube will get colostrum down if there is a concern the calf missed the first milk wagon. I don't hesitate if I think they missed the boat and needs to be replacer or dairy whole colostrum not cheap supplement.

If they don't take a bottle, tube works good for milk replacer too.

Bright Raven":1fjuf90x said:
True Grit Farms":1fjuf90x said:

An esophageal tube will get colostrum down if there is a concern the calf missed the first milk wagon. I don't hesitate if I think they missed the boat and needs to be replacer or dairy whole colostrum not cheap supplement.

If they don't take a bottle, tube works good for milk replacer too.

Ive tubed many and will do that if it becomes necessary. Its documented That I will go above and beyond to save a calf. But I am also a realist and if the calf cant walk I will shoot the dam thing. The contracted tendons will correct itself most of the time

M-5":10xwh5dw said:
Sometimes we get so caught up in the little things that happen to us that we fail to realize how terrible some people have it. Ive been checking on a heifer for over a week and found her down Saturday morning with calf head out both feet and the head and tongue swollen. I gathered my stuff got him pulled and the thing was alive , she couldn't get up so I gave her a shot of dex and left her to try and recover , cleaned the calf and got colostrum in him. She did get up and was shaky for a about 12 hrs but penned her and calf and she is trying to mother him. he has worse case of contracted tendons ive ever seen and found a way to get up on 3 legs but right leg doesn't work right for him . Its not dis located but I assume I injured it pulling him . it was not a hard pull . I have not seen him nurse but otherwise he seems healthy and ive given him a bottle Saturday night and Sunday . This morning he wouldn't suck. Ill decide what to do when I get in early this afternoon. My gut says put him down. I hate losing one and can not imagine how those affected by the wildfires cope with losing all of theirs.

One of the county agents was talking about trying to get hay to help those in the fire areas at church yesterday.
Those people are screwed hay reserves are near empty and the amount they need the whole country would have to be in hay season.
Those boys and girls are in a jam.

There are trucks leaving here alsmot every day headed that way. Loves gas stations are kicking in fuel for the trucking, a place in SW most donated 1000 bales of baleage, we;re working with NRCS and local truckers to get hay to them. Most everyone is kicking in. A local (sort of) Ag college is pushing like crazy to get stuff and trucking donated. So far hte problem isn;t the hay it's thr trucking. But with loves and the OK farm bureau getting together hopefully that will be taken care of. I'm talking to the MO Dept of Ag today about officially trying to do something. What it is going to take is individuals to make this deal a little less disasterous for the folks affected.

Saw three semi's go through town this morning loaded with round bales, two double rows bottom and top. Looked a bit ragged but at least it was food. Was headed west so I assume it was probably headed out to those folks. Tried to read the name on the doors of the truck but couldn't make it out.

We've talked to some people managing drop offs in the area and most of them are asking that hay be directed to Oklahoma for the next few days. They are asking for fenceing material and milk replacer.

i just had one come up lame..either dislocated shoulder or broken at the top of the leg..vet didn't think there was anything that could be done. Didn't want to make a big ordeal out of it and have the outcome still suck...so I penned her and momma up in a small pasture and we will see

my car broke down 35 mi from home this week...twice..once after I hit a pig.i fixed it..radiator and condenser...drove it 2 days and the starter is out now..and since the battery had 2 dry cells I also bought one of them....

I been thru worse...

at least it didn't burn....tough times ahead for the folks who have lost their heritage

Sorry to hear that M5. I also had to pull one Saturday morning. Was feeding hay and noticed a heifer with two feet crossed and water bag hanging out. Got her up and pulled the calf, wasn't a hard pull either. She possibly could have had it if I gave her more time but I wasn't sure how long she had been like that so I improvised. I left her and the calf alone for a while, Came back an hour later and she had licked him off but the calf was very weak so I tubed him some Colostrum and he perked up but died last night. I rarely have to pull one but when I do I have not had a good success rate . Are there any tricks to jump starting these calves? We have prayed since the fire for the folks who lost it all and will continue.

midTN_Brangusman":2cqtx713 said:
Sorry to hear that M5. I also had to pull one Saturday morning. Was feeding hay and noticed a heifer with two feet crossed and water bag hanging out. Got her up and pulled the calf, wasn't a hard pull either. She possibly could have had it if I gave her more time but I wasn't sure how long she had been like that so I improvised. I left her and the calf alone for a while, Came back an hour later and she had licked him off but the calf was very weak so I tubed him some Colostrum and he perked up but died last night. I rarely have to pull one but when I do I have not had a good success rate . Are there any tricks to jump starting these calves? We have prayed since the fire for the folks who lost it all and will continue.

Sorry about losing the calf. I generally start off with either bottle or tubing colostrum replacer. I've had good success with Nursemate ASAP and if they have dystocia a shot of Banamine helps with the swelling and a shot of Vitamin B Complex helps perk them up.

Continued prayers for all those affected by the fires. Unfortunately there have been a lot of local reports that the origin (at least in KS) was suspicious.

TCRanch":1l4b2odx said:
midTN_Brangusman":1l4b2odx said:

Sorry about losing the calf. I generally start off with either bottle or tubing colostrum replacer. I've had good success with Nursemate ASAP and if they have dystocia a shot of Banamine helps with the swelling and a shot of Vitamin B Complex helps perk them up.

Continued prayers for all those affected by the fires. Unfortunately there have been a lot of local reports that the origin (at least in KS) was suspicious.

Thanks TC for the pointers, ill be sure to have that on hand for next time!

Last I saw on hay for the Texas panhandle was all receiving stations were full and couldn't take anymore hay.
The people calling to donate hay were being pasted on to Oklahoma and Kansas.
They are going to distribute what's on hand and see where they are at.
So many people lost their cattle and don't need hay without cattle.

Latest posts