Everything but grass!

Help Support CattleToday:

The best thing we ever did was incorporate goats into our cattle rotation. After the cattle graze an area, the goats are moved in. Then whatever they don't eat before they are rotated along will get either mowed or sprayed and sometimes both. It has greatly reduced our spraying needs and gives an extra side hustle selling goats.
Any fencing challenges? My fences are mostly woven wire with 2 stands of barb on top. I don't hate the idea of goats but I don't want to deal with chasing them all over either lol. Id love to hear about your setup (paddock size, fencing, rotation frequency etc)

My cows will readily eat poison ivy. Thought all cows would. Oh well.
Interesting fact, poison ivy actually isnt poison. Cows and other animals can eat it, lay in it, whatever. For some reason the human body reacts to it though. Some people much worse than others. Its a reaction to the plant from the body, not the plant poisoning the body.
I have plenty of it and I may have seen 1 or 2 cows pluck some real young leaves on some new growth...but generally they don't put a dent in it.

My 'pastures' are over 50% poison ivy (by area) and my corriente longhorn criolo type cows don't eat it. They will pluck a leaf from a blackberry or rose bush every so often...but they do not eat poison ivy or anything else pictured... I would be grateful if any of you wanted to help ID these plants and maybe give me a recommendation on ridding my pastures of them. The first pic is an "overview" and if you zoom in you will see....lots of PI.

My cows will readily eat poison ivy. Thought all cows would. Oh well.
Interesting fact, poison ivy actually isnt poison. Cows and other animals can eat it, lay in it, whatever. For some reason the human body reacts to it though. Some people much worse than others. Its a reaction to the plant from the body, not the plant poisoning the body.
Deer love poison ivy.

How do you keep goats in?

@wobbie1775 have you tried periodic mowing?
We heard the horror stories of keeping goats in but in the 10 years we had them they never escaped. We run 24" woven wire with electric on the inside with 3 strands of barbed above it because on coyote pressure and the fact we raised free-range chickens and turkeys for the restaurant industry.

Any fencing challenges? My fences are mostly woven wire with 2 stands of barb on top. I don't hate the idea of goats but I don't want to deal with chasing them all over either lol. Id love to hear about your setup (paddock size, fencing, rotation frequency etc)
Our fences are 24" woven wire with offset electric 10" and 16" inches off of the ground and 3 strands of barbed wire above. The only issues we had were before we added the electric were the younger goats putting their heads thru the woven wire fence and their horn nubs getting caught and their would need help getting back out. Paddocks were approximately 1 acre in size and the goats were rotated thru 4 different paddocks throughout the year. We never moved them to our further pastures away from the barn so we sprayed and mowed them after the cattle grazed those.

Latest posts