Everyone's rule of thumb

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I was wanting some input from fellow members. What is everyone opinions on past due females in relation to their size and breed A.I.ed vs. bull bred etc. Example: I have a large 75% Gelbvieh 25% Black Angus first calf heifer she probably weighs 1200 lbs. she was A.I.ed on 3/26/17 and still has not calved as of this morning. To me size, breed etc. can play a part in how many days are logical to still say she was safe to so and so a date. Thanks. B&G

I've never seen a correlation. Usually our Hereford sired calves are a little late regardless of weight. But a late Hereford calf when she calves usually falls right in among hte Red Angus, Simenthal, Gelbvieh crosses and Red Angus straight breds

Black and Good":1barwl05 said:
I was wanting some input from fellow members. What is everyone opinions on past due females in relation to their size and breed A.I.ed vs. bull bred etc. Example: I have a large 75% Gelbvieh 25% Black Angus first calf heifer she probably weighs 1200 lbs. she was A.I.ed on 3/26/17 and still has not calved as of this morning. To me size, breed etc. can play a part in how many days are logical to still say she was safe to so and so a date. Thanks. B&G

Size has nothing to do with it.

If she goes longer than 12 months she is on the cull list over 14 culled. The cow provides me a live calf to sale every year or takes the calves place on the trailer.

Caustic Burno":3e022hu7 said:
Black and Good":3e022hu7 said:

If she goes longer than 12 months she is on the cull list over 14 culled. The cow provides me a live calf to sale every year or takes the calves place on the trailer.

I think you misunderstood the question.

OP-so she was due Jan 2 right? I assume she has been confirmed safe in calf to that date? 10 days over is getting up there pretty good.

WinterSpringsFarm":3sov2q2t said:
Caustic Burno":3sov2q2t said:
Black and Good":3sov2q2t said:

I think you misunderstood the question.

OP-so she was due Jan 2 right? I assume she has been confirmed safe in calf to that date? 10 days over is getting up there pretty good.

Correct. B&G

TCRanch":1t4yellr said:
Is she showing any signs? She may have one whopper of a bull calf in her - hopefully in the correct position. There's always an exception (or 2, or 5) to every theory or "rule".

Yeah, She's looks like she should be followed with a basket! LOL B&G

My rule of thumb is... Never... wait No... Always? wait, yup that's it... Always carry a litter bag in your car...
They don't take up that much room and if it gets full you can just chuck it out the window.

But I don't really see how it applies.
:tiphat:

Seems I read somewhere that Lithuanian Farmer has had several go 300 days.... I would not panic til she gets close to the 18 days past the due date; if she is showing an udder and signs of being close. Any chance she was turned out with a bull as cleanup and maybe slipped the AI breeding? In the dairy cattle, different breeds are known to carry different; and between jerseys, often shorter gestation, to Brown swiss , often 5-10 days longer gestation than the average on the charts.

You can always get the vet out to make sure the calf is in position. If she goes too far past they will induce labor if the size is getting way to big or do a c-section if it looks like she can't have it.

But I would probably be getting her checked out in the next few days if no signs of calving.

Yes, had two cows calving at 303 days, had one calving at 299days. One heifer has calved at 298days in December. We always keep a much closer eye on the one which is overdue. They always had bull calves and usually abit bigger than average.

I had an alberda traveler 416 daughter that routine went 3 weeks over. Always stuck on first AI and was always bred timed AI with rest of the herd. Almost always had heifer calf, something like 11 out of 14.

lithuanian farmer":xi0udpdf said:
Yes, had two cows calving at 303 days, had one calving at 299days. One heifer has calved at 298days in December. We always keep a much closer eye on the one which is overdue. They always had bull calves and usually abit bigger than average.
with your birthweights Id hate to see what's above your average.. :shock:

ALACOWMAN":2umuog7y said:
lithuanian farmer":2umuog7y said:
with your birthweights Id hate to see what's above your average.. :shock:
Not something enormous, calving unassisted most of the time. Those were ~104-115lbs. Our monster calves were born at 293-294days.

The official gestation for Simmental is 285 days.
I just had a heifer that had been pacing from 5pm to 8pm. She finally laid down at 8:15. At 8:45 calf was born. 4 days early.
I don't go by size, or BCS. But, I do keep records on each cow. Some tend to like to incubate their calves longer than others.

Latest posts