Everyone’s favorite poly wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to invest in quite a bit more polywire and reels. I currently have 3-4 miles of power fields 9 wire in use and seems to be of decent quality. Only been in use a couple years. I was wanting to know if anyone had other recommendations before I bought more. Are there better options? I'm am not to conserned on price as It is a 4-5 year investment. I am not interested in steel wire. Thank you for your help

Hard to beat that kind! From what reviews I can find "stafix" seems to be very good. I'm curious to how the orange shows up compared to white? I had some cheap bayguard yellow wire last year, that stuff was almost invisible to me.i threw that junk in the trash after 2 weeks of use. White is way more visible.

I prefer Gallagher. I've tried others and they are either a lot bigger in diameter (hard to get 1/4 mile on a roll up spool) or the conductors seem to break frequently
We're still using polywire that we've had for 18 years and it still works just like new

powerflex fence.

been outside everyday for almost 10 years now... in the woods.. been running over it all that time with vehicles..etc..

still in unbelievable shape. I have several other brands and they don't even hold a candle. *(i've never tried Gallagher) h

We may be talking about two different things, but when I use the small poly rope it burns in to everywhere i splice it.

ddd75":3sbnhfgv said:
powerflex fence.

been outside everyday for almost 10 years now... in the woods.. been running over it all that time with vehicles..etc..

still in unbelievable shape. I have several other brands and they don't even hold a candle. *(i've never tried Gallagher) h
Powerflex is the largest diameter I've tried and it won;t fit well on conventional polywire roller spooles

Bigfoot":23ysfocw said:
We may be talking about two different things, but when I use the small poly rope it burns in to everywhere i splice it.
Never have had that issue with any splices.

We have 4 different kinds. Don;t know the makers of any of them. Most recent one I got was 7-8 years ago and is a geared drive kind. Hate it.

dun":3qsa51c9 said:
We have 4 different kinds. Don;t know the makers of any of them. Most recent one I got was 7-8 years ago and is a geared drive kind. Hate it.

Yep not a fan of the geared ones. I use the big black reels that will hold 600m plus of the 3 or 6 strand white poly. For some reason the white works a lot better even in the snow. Deer are a big problem here.

9 strand Kencove.
Obrians 3-1 geared reel.

Have 3 years of daily use on a couple reels and wire and no problems. A lot of it has been cut and tied back together. No issues with the wire or the reel working with the knots.

I went with Gallagher. Found a place that had the 1/4 mile turbo wire with free 328' spoil for 48$ and they had the medium geared reel for 50$. Bought 8 roles of wire and 10 reels. Should be set for the pastures I'm wanting to rotate. I'm curious to why some don't like the geared reels? I have both and my non geared sit in the shed unless I absolutly have to have them

I don;t like the geared ones because I can;t walk as fast as they wind.
Folks that bought this farm got a bunch of zereba polywire, their "good stuff". So far in just a couple of months she has had to splice it a bunch of places where the conductors broke and the wire was dead past there. She's in the process of replacing all of it with Gallagher. She's impressed that we have some that's over 15 years old and still no problems.

I would think cable would be heavy & pain to work with.
Gallagher & Kenco are real good products. There is one I purchased at TSC that is crap. It's orange (can't see) and all the plastic shatters when you knot it.
I guess I'm the only cheap one here. I use the electric cord reals you get at Walmart - orange. Works great.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":39ze8gr0 said:
I would think cable would be heavy & pain to work with.
Gallagher & Kenco are real good products. There is one I purchased at TSC that is crap. It's orange (can't see) and all the plastic shatters when you knot it.
I guess I'm the only cheap one here. I use the electric cord reals you get at Walmart - orange. Works great.
I too use those reels for real short stretches. They work just fine. Only thing I don't like is they don't hold up to the weather. Atleast the ones I have. Are almost white instead of orange

I'm going to hijack just a little, so I'll apologize in advance. Being a fence builder, poly wire goes against everything I do and stand for. Now that we sell fence products, I need to stock some. I'm a big fan of Strainrite tools, and we could easily stock some of their temporary electric fence products. Do any of you have any experience with the stuff? I know the tools are better than the rest, and all the Kiwis swear by the electric fencing Strainrite make, but what say you?

Latest posts