Everybody good on hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Everyone in East TN good on hay? Got a fellow right off exit 15 on interstate 81 with a few hundred bales. 2 miles off interstate to be almost exact. Semi truck accessable. 14 roll minimum.

25 to 30 a roll. It's worth more right now. He's just being fair.

Netwrapped 4w X 5t

Kept outside. 1st cut has maybe a touch of weathering. Was fertilized and sprayed w 24d. Good hay IMO

2nd cut has seen barely any rain aince baling. Not sprayed, has a weed here and there. Good hay IMO. Barely seen any rain

$25 bales are weedy and might have a touch of broomsedge here and there. If unrolled cattle could eat thru it. Have no rain damage.

I've bought some of it all. Plan to buy from him next year. He produces a good bit and is fair minded.

Thought I'd let yall know before I put on marketplace for him.

Can text me, Brad, @ 423-736-3613 and I'll give ya Mr Marshall's info. I won't have service for internet today.

Delete if not allowed.

Winter is coming. 😂

Everyone in East TN good on hay? Got a fellow right off exit 15 on interstate 81 with a few hundred bales. 2 miles off interstate to be almost exact. Semi truck accessable. 14 roll minimum.

25 to 30 a roll. It's worth more right now. He's just being fair.

Netwrapped 4w X 5t

Kept outside. 1st cut has maybe a touch of weathering. Was fertilized and sprayed w 24d. Good hay IMO

2nd cut has seen barely any rain aince baling. Not sprayed, has a weed here and there. Good hay IMO. Barely seen any rain

$25 bales are weedy and might have a touch of broomsedge here and there. If unrolled cattle could eat thru it. Have no rain damage.

I've bought some of it all. Plan to buy from him next year. He produces a good bit and is fair minded.

Thought I'd let yall know before I put on marketplace for him.

Can text me, Brad, @ 423-736-3613 and I'll give ya Mr Marshall's info. I won't have service for internet today.

Delete if not allowed.

Winter is coming. 😂
I thought I was going to be ok, but now, with the dry weather the past few weeks, I am not so sure. Does he deliver?

If it doesn't sell there you could probably make some money shipping it to Texas. I sold 60 4'x5' rolls for twice that price, and it was some of the worst hay I've ever seen. Most other years I couldn't have given it away, and in fact wouldn't have baled it in the first place.

Thanks for sharing Clinch. Sounds like he is being more than fair. I bet it won't last long. Most I see around here is $40+, which is still very reasonable with the input cost that goes into making a bale.

If it doesn't sell there you could probably make some money shipping it to Texas. I sold 60 4'x5' rolls for twice that price, and it was some of the worst hay I've ever seen. Most other years I couldn't have given it away, and in fact wouldn't have baled it in the first place.
Who do I put him in touch with to make that happen?

These are examples of the hay.

The 1st cut is the most weathered. $30 per bale

The trailer pic is the $25 bales. Has some weeds. But very very much worth the money. Zero weathering pretty much.

I've been buying the 2nd cut stuff, 30 and 35 bucks a bale. Mainly because of my deep love of Johnson Grass. It does have some in it. Hoping for some seed. It's also the least weathered.

Baled tight. Hay spear doesn't like going all the way in and is stubborn coming out.

@sstterry its in your back yard pretty much I think.

Attachments

• 20221012_173104.jpg
    20221012_173104.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221012_175620.jpg
    20221012_175620.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221023_101435.jpg
    20221023_101435.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 10
We may be close . Not use to feeding in October, but with this dry weather and early freeze I've been feeding some hay . 2 groups aren't eating much but 1 pasture, younger cows and bred heifers are cleaning up 3 rolls every 3-4 days . Thanks for sharing and hope it goes where needed !

We may be close . Not use to feeding in October, but with this dry weather and early freeze I've been feeding some hay . 2 groups aren't eating much but 1 pasture, younger cows and bred heifers are cleaning up 3 rolls every 3-4 days . Thanks for sharing and hope it goes where needed !

My cool season stuff never really came alive to stockpile. It's usually Decemvet or January when we teallt get to only hay. Gonna be mid November at best.

So I'm rotating across mature warm season stuff with a bit of fescue in. Grazing a week, then feeding hay for a week. Monday I'll graze again for third time in this pattern.

Cows calved a month ago. I'm not selling anymore head. Gonna feed thru it.

Drilled a lot or ground with ryegrass. Hasn't had enough moisture to get going. Fear it's going to die if it sprouted. Hopefully it'll come up in spring.

Last edited:

Latest posts