Every thing you need to know about feed safety.

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle":2tgv5h2g said:
backhoeboogie":2tgv5h2g said:
We really don't need more bureaucracy do we? Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?[/quote:2tgv5h2g said:
Unfortunately yes, to combat those who would lie, cheat and steal just to make a profit they are not entitled too. With out these regulations, a victim has no choice buy to file a law suit to recuperate his losses.
Where as if the government steps in they can be fined and/or shut down in addition to paying for damages.
Example: If the calf feed you buy says 16% protein and it only test as 10% protein, that is fraud. So do you want to waste $1,000s to recoup your loss, or let the government handle it and prove your case for you.

But if you are saying that the government is full of waste, abuse and fraud, you are 100% correct and I totally agree with you.
Feed mills/manufacturers are heavily regulated and have been for ages. FDA inspects them often and additionally there are already state regulations in affect as to what can and cannot be included in the various feeds for different animals, not to mention regulations stating inclusion rates for all medications an d combinations of medications depending on the intended use of the feed. Any violation of these existing regulations can get a company completely shut down. Most violations occur when individuals decide to use something extra label thinking they will get some benefit from it. Don't know about your part of the world but in Texas state inspectors as well as FDA are constantly patrolling pulling samples not only at the manufacturing facility but at dealers that sell the feed as well....They want to make safe feed just as much as you want to feed safe feed. I can't vouch for what you might mix up on the farm and then try to blame the people you bought the ingredients from.

You need to tell that to the dairy farmer in NC who lost half his herd. I'll see if I can find the story for ya.
The only way he could get anything done was to call in the press.

TexasBred":3ptcaotf said:
LCCattle":3ptcaotf said:
backhoeboogie":3ptcaotf said:
We really don't need more bureaucracy do we? Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?[/quote:3ptcaotf said:
Unfortunately yes, to combat those who would lie, cheat and steal just to make a profit they are not entitled too. With out these regulations, a victim has no choice buy to file a law suit to recuperate his losses.
Where as if the government steps in they can be fined and/or shut down in addition to paying for damages.
Example: If the calf feed you buy says 16% protein and it only test as 10% protein, that is fraud. So do you want to waste $1,000s to recoup your loss, or let the government handle it and prove your case for you.

But if you are saying that the government is full of waste, abuse and fraud, you are 100% correct and I totally agree with you.
Feed mills/manufacturers are heavily regulated and have been for ages. FDA inspects them often and additionally there are already state regulations in affect as to what can and cannot be included in the various feeds for different animals, not to mention regulations stating inclusion rates for all medications an d combinations of medications depending on the intended use of the feed. Any violation of these existing regulations can get a company completely shut down. Most violations occur when individuals decide to use something extra label thinking they will get some benefit from it. Don't know about your part of the world but in Texas state inspectors as well as FDA are constantly patrolling pulling samples not only at the manufacturing facility but at dealers that sell the feed as well....They want to make safe feed just as much as you want to feed safe feed. I can't vouch for what you might mix up on the farm and then try to blame the people you bought the ingredients from.

TB, I have heard feed store owners talk about how they are regulated, and they definitely take quality and what is on the labels seriously.

LCCattle":bu6xucxb said:
You need to tell that to the dairy farmer in NC who lost half his herd. I'll see if I can find the story for ya.

Why doesn't he just let the government take care of it like you suggested. "Example: If the calf feed you buy says 16% protein and it only test as 10% protein, that is fraud. So do you want to waste $1,000s to recoup your loss, or let the government handle it and prove your case for you."

cmay":25j6g751 said:
LCCattle":25j6g751 said:

Why doesn't he just let the government take care of it like you suggested. "Example: If the calf feed you buy says 16% protein and it only test as 10% protein, that is fraud. So do you want to waste $1,000s to recoup your loss, or let the government handle it and prove your case for you."

"I'm telling mom on you!" lol

LCCattle":7hj3mqgd said:

If I go home tonight and notice a decline in the calves, It will be noted. If they continue on for a few days, I'm going to start checking things out. To lose "half your herd", its going to take days and days of decline. No one noticed?

Yes. Please find the link. I'd like to read about how this is possible unless someone is a complete idiot. Doesn't need to be in the business in the first place.

"The state says there is only one other nearby farm raising similar concerns. There are about 160 dairy farms in North Carolina."

That's from near the end of the story. I have to wonder if those two dairies are the only ones feeding that particular feed? I feel sorry for the guy that's losing the cows, but I really have to wonder if it's the feed.

LCCattle":3o815qse said:
TexasBred,
Here you go, sorry it took me so long .
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/farmer ... /113522481
Of course he "thinks" its something in the feed. Why has he let it go on for so long without at least changing feed companies to see if that would stop it??? NO way it could be something on his dairy. Had a dairyman not far from her that had about half his herd abort. Turned out he had drained the above ground swimming pool a few weeks before and it was full of old stagnant water all winter long.....water went straight into his silage pit....blamed feed company. They fought him and won....sorry for his loses but doesn't seem like he's doing much to help himself as long as he can sell milk. Should have known sulfur would come into play somewhere. :lol: :lol:

Here is another one for ya.
Horse owners say their beloved equines are suffering after eating tainted feed
Debra Buis, a private boarder who owns two of the horses at Masterpiece Equestrian Center, said three equines at the farm developed sudden paralysis and collapsed in October. All three died within a week.
Days later, testing of the feed, conducted at the horse owners' request, came back positive for monensin, a powerful medication used in poultry and cattle feeds. Monensin is too strong for horses.
Buis said 19 remaining horses at the stable are sick, and many are expected to die.
"We'll have to make a decision to euthanize at some point," she said, because of the discomfort of the horses, some of whom are bleeding from the nose.
http://www.wptv.com/news/state/horse-ow ... inted-feed

We can discuss these cases also to we are blue in the face based on what info the press puts out and get nowhere. That is why there must be a third party to do a full and proper investigation, with the authority to take appropriate action to see it doesn't happen again and to hold the responsible party liable.

LLC stated:

"We can discuss these cases also to we are blue in the face based on what info the press puts out and get nowhere. That is why there must be a third party to do a full and proper investigation, with the authority to take appropriate action to see it doesn't happen again and to hold the responsible party liable."

This case should be investigated by the appropriate regulatory authority. My curiosity is in your "tone".

You have made your point about regulation but your tone suggests you are crossing over into the fringe component of our society that views regulation and enforcement as a vindictive tool used solely for punitive purposes and not for the benefit of society. Rarely does someone willfully put monensin in horse feed with the intent to kill horses. This was undoubtedly the result of human error.

Your effort to associate incidents like the monensin with the industrial community making more money does not resonate! I have never seem a business prosper by pursuing a negative image. Makes no sense for a livestock feed company to get a reputation with livestock owners as a horse killer.

Here is another example of why regulations are needed.
Manufactures who introduce new products that are not approved.

Chicken litter for cattle feed. Labeled under ingredients as "grain by-products ".
Poultry litter can be used as a feed stuff, but it presents special consumer issues that must be addressed. There are currently no federal or Missouri regulations governing the use of poultry litter as a feedstuff;
Poultry litter should not be fed to dairy cattle or beef cattle less than 21 days before slaughter. The reason for this prohibition is that the residues of certain pharmaceuticals used in poultry production may be present in poultry litter.
http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2077

IMO, chicken litter should have been approved by the USDA before it was ever sold as an ingredient in any cattle feed. And it should be clearly identified as an ingredient on the bag tag and the bill of sale so the buyer knows exactly what he is getting and paying for and the dangers of feeding it.
I will not feed any feed stock knowing it contains chicken litter simply because of the "consumer issues" and the bad publicity it has caused the cattle industry.
Our consumers are not the only ones with a right to know. We cattlemen also have a right to know what we are feeding our cattle as we can be held responsible also.

LCCattle":836o9d6k said:

Chicken litter for cattle feed. Labeled under ingredients as "grain by-products ".
Poultry litter can be used as a feed stuff, but it presents special consumer issues that must be addressed. There are currently no federal or Missouri regulations governing the use of poultry litter as a feedstuff;
Poultry litter should not be fed to dairy cattle or beef cattle less than 21 days before slaughter. The reason for this prohibition is that the residues of certain pharmaceuticals used in poultry production may be present in poultry litter.

IMO, chicken litter should have been approved by the USDA before it was ever sold as an ingredient in any cattle feed. And it should be clearly identified as an ingredient on the bag tag and the bill of sale so the buyer knows exactly what he is getting and paying for and the dangers of feeding it.
I will not feed any feed stock knowing it contains chicken litter simply because of the "consumer issues" and the bad publicity it has caused the cattle industry.
Our consumers are not the only ones with a right to know. We cattlemen also have a right to know what we are feeding our cattle as we can be held responsible also.

Good news and bad news:

Good first. You stay on message.
Bad: your writing skills suck.

inyati13":17uddqm9 said:
LCCattle":17uddqm9 said:

Good news and bad news:

I do the best I can with what I have.
What part of this didn't you understand?

LCCattle":2lwvklpf said:
inyati13":2lwvklpf said:
LCCattle":2lwvklpf said:

Good news and bad news:

Let's start with communication skills.

LLCattle stated:

The reader can only speculate at your meaning. I will illustrate. Does it mean you do the best you can because you have intellectual limitations? Does it mean you do the best you can because you have information technology limitations? I have no way of knowing what that means. Maybe you have no hands and you type with your nose.

To be a better communicator, think for a moment what you want the reader to know. Then use the words and sentences needed to convey your message. Never inject words like "honestly" or "To make a long story short". Or "You get the idea". Those are called superfluous phases. They add nothing to your composition.

You could have more appropriately responded as follows:

Thank you Inyati. I am sorry my composition did not meet your approval. I am working at McDonalds and when I get a spare moment, I get on my cell phone and aggravate users on Cattle Today. I notice you do that too so we have something in common. What can I help you understand?

I would reply.

Nothing my fine fellow. I only want you to be the best your can be. Watch your grammar. Pay more attention to composition.

inyati13":gi70008z said:
LCCattle":gi70008z said:
inyati13":gi70008z said:
Good news and bad news:

LLCattle stated:

The reader can only speculate at your meaning. I will illustrate. Does it mean you do the best you can because you have intellectual limitations? Does it mean you do the best you can because you have information technology limitations? I have no way of knowing what that means. Maybe you have no hands and you type with your nose.

To be a better communicator, think for a moment what you want the reader to know. Then use the words and sentences needed to convey your message. Never inject words like "honestly" or "To make a long story short". Or "You get the idea". Those are called superfluous phases. They add nothing to your composition.

Thank you Inyati. I am sorry my composition did not meet your approval. I am working at McDonalds and when I get a spare moment, I get on my cell phone and aggravate users on Cattle Today. I notice you do that too so we have something in common. What can I help you understand?

I would reply.

Nothing my fine fellow. I only want you to be the best your can be. Watch your grammar. Pay more attention to composition.

Thank you!
Now as I said: What part of this didn't you understand?

LCCattle":z28v7zlp said:
inyati13":z28v7zlp said:
LCCattle":z28v7zlp said:

LLCattle stated:

I would reply.

Thank you! Please stay on topic.
Now as I said: What part of this didn't you understand?

Latest posts