Ever seen a mad coon?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Just like the 14 year old he is, my nephew set a animal trap to catch a coon (that's racoon for those of you not in the south). He was going to put dry dog food for bait, but I convinced him to put a can of tuna fish instead. That was last Saturday night. I went out and helped him and his buddies put the trap where I knew they would have a good chance. Only problem is that while his buddies spent the weekend with him, he forgot about the trap. Yesterday evening (5 days later), when I let the cows into the ryegrass I noticed the trap was still there, and a coon was in it. To say she was mad is a bit of an understatement. At least she have a whole can of tuna to eat during her stay in prison. I let her out, expecting her to come at me, but she immediately turned around and slowly walked away. I then took the opportunity to fuss at my nephew when I got back to the front. I know boys will be boys, and I've done plenty worse, but that poor coon sat there for five days - every night below freezing. Not if that had been a feral hog (Caustic's buddies), I would have shot it in the trap.

Here she is, hissing, but somehow looking scared.
poorraccoon.jpg

Anyone else have any stupid 14 year old stories?

best one I have is kinda like the Jerry Clower story knock em out John

we were coon hunting and treed a coon well my buddy shot it and it fell about 3 ft and got hung in the tree we sent his lil brother up the tree after it well my buddy shot it but he only knocked it out and about half way down the tree it comes to and started climbing his lil bro, was a pretty good site and alot of noise the coon squalling him squalling and the dogs going nuts and us laughing , he finally let go and dropped out of the tree him coon and all.
the coon started running and we let the dogs loose and they finally treed it in a small tree and we shot it out
the first shot glanced off its skull and had put a groove in the top of its head so it only dazed him for awhile
his little bro had bites and scratches all over him

Needless to say we could never get him to go up a tree after another coon

Those are good stories!

When my son was two, we were in the kitchen, we had a glass door to the yard. I heard William say, "doggie, mommie!". I was cooking and was like, "yeah, dog..." Then I realized it wasn't a dog. It was a sow coon about four feet tall standing up and William was trying to let it in the house! It was broad daylight. I never expected it and took a minute to process. I dived for the door before William could get it open. I can't imagine what would have happened if it had gotten in the house.

well except for the coon poopin in my lap..i got no good coon storys..but i didn have an 18 yr old run my new quad into culvert and i had to buy a new frame and change it over...course he said ''ill make it right'' course he aint come thru w/squat so far.....imagine that

When I was 12 or 13 several of us spent the night at a buddy's house and he had a pet coon. The first one to fall asleep had the coon put in his sleeping bag, zipped up and the coon slapped a few times. Now that was funny. :lol: :banana:

Daddy's cow dog, Rip...he didn't back down from anything...until he chased a coon into the stock tank.

Daddy was on the tractor and said he had that tractor runnin' full out tryin' to get to the "scene," 'cause he knew how it was gonna turn out and it didn't look good for Rip.

Before he got to the tank here came the coon and Rip...runnin' on opposite sides of the road toward him...both soaked to the bone.

Alice

Best coon story I ever heard came from my Dad.
He and a friend of his were out spotting coons in the wheat fields that had been harvested. They would shine a light on the coon them shoot them with a .22
They ended up with a big boar coon at the end of their light and my Dad told his friend that he was out of .22 ammo. Friend told him he was also out of ammo. Friend told my Dad to run out there and kick that coon in the head since he had on pointed cowboy boots. That would get him.
Dad ran up to the coon and kicked him in the head. Coon turned around and started chasing Dad, he ran until the coon quit chasing him, he turned back around and kicked the coon again, coon started chasing him again. This went on for several minutes until both were done with each other.
Dad returned to his friend and found him laughing like crazy and holding a box of .22 shells.

Jaybird had never been coon hunting so we took him. Pretty late in the evening he said "let me shoot the next one." So we did. The coon was treed a good 60 ft up in a live oak. Jaybird took the light and a .22 and kept moving around under the tree to get a better shot. We told him when you see both eyes shoot right between them and step back. He forgot the step back part. Gravity works all the time.
That coon was still accelerating when it hit Jaybird who was staring straight up. There was so much blood we were sure Jaybird was dead, but he woke up after we had dragged his sorry butt to the truck. Always remember to STEP BACK!

Crackerplease":2vl0ptsb said:
Jaybird had never been coon hunting so we took him. Pretty late in the evening he said "let me shoot the next one." So we did. The coon was treed a good 60 ft up in a live oak. Jaybird took the light and a .22 and kept moving around under the tree to get a better shot. We told him when you see both eyes shoot right between them and step back. He forgot the step back part. Gravity works all the time.
That coon was still accelerating when it hit Jaybird who was staring straight up. There was so much blood we were sure Jaybird was dead, but he woke up after we had dragged his sorry butt to the truck. Always remember to STEP BACK!

At least Jaybird made a good shot. If he had only wounded the coon, he have a p.o.'d coon attached to his head.

We came home from 4-H meeting and the daughter ran into house without turning on any lights. She came out of the bathroom screaming that something was in there. Now since this bathroom is the size of a 2 holer but with running water we can say the monster was cornered. Well it turns out the monster was a real nice blue-tip coon with at the time a monster temper. Being the typical brave father I crawled onto the sink and then the throne to get behind said monster and shoo it out to the kitchen. This is where my brave better half and daughter were standing on chairs to shoo said monster out the back door. Needless to say the brave father was in deep doo-doo for laughing the whole time. Turns out that the brave father got in more trouble when daughter went to bed and found out the monster had come out of the ceiling over her bed. The brave father had trapped the monster in the attic when he had fixed the hole in the roof.

Latest posts