Ever notice how cattle can get themselves into trouble?

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a 500 lb heifer one time that walked down the creek bank and managed to get both hind legs underneath an exposed tree root and was stuck there and couldn't get herself out. She was facing downhill and wasn't able to push herself back uphill with her front legs enough to get free. The coyotes found her before I did. I have pictures but I won't post them here because they aren't pretty and I don't want to upset the PETA people that may be lurking around.

Someone explain the blood on this cow. She had just died, her eyes still looked alive, but she was gone. No struggle marks, so she hadnt been in this spot long. Nothing had eaten on her, she had her eyes and back end, no buzzard in sight and the herd was all around her in the same area. This blood was done while she was alive and upright. The horse flies were bad, but i looked at all the other cows and there was not one spot like this on them and really, just a normal amount of horse flies around. Big fat cow, smh... She drew the double card, die for no reason and die with the WT Heck factor...
242562774_2926303197631315_1533918580586147141_n.jpg

Someone explain the blood on this cow. She had just died, her eyes still looked alive, but she was gone. No struggle marks, so she hadnt been in this spot long. Nothing had eaten on her, she had her eyes and back end, no buzzard in sight and the herd was all around her in the same area. This blood was done while she was alive and upright. The horse flies were bad, but i looked at all the other cows and there was not one spot like this on them and really, just a normal amount of horse flies around. Big fat cow, smh... She drew the double card, die for no reason and die with the WT Heck factor...
View attachment 8518
Cowgirl was there blood oozing from mouth, nose or anus?
Those parts aren't shown in your picture

View attachment 8518
Chupacabra

I'm curious to hear about your personal experiences for how cattle can get themselves into trouble.

I'll start it off with this one from several years ago that managed to get twisted up in four strands of barbed wire plus a strand of electric fence. We got him out and he limped for a good long while until he healed completely. When I sold him at the local auction they noticed the scar on his foot and bought him cheap. :(

J+ Cattle
I've cut deer out of a fence twice that were in the same predicament, one had been there too long so had to shoot her as her leg wouldn't work, 2nd one took off running as soon as I got the leg free.

Cowgirl was there blood oozing from mouth, nose or anus?
Those parts aren't shown in your picture
No.. not even any foam coming out of her mouth or nose. Her butt was protruding, but nothing weird. Only other thing beyond the blood trails down her sides, is the blood spot to the left of her a couple feet away. About the size of a dessert plate, coagulated and the same state as the blood on her, but not a whole lot.. could have already been there, or it came out of her somewhere.. The only blood on her was down her side and i looked on her other side that is down, and there is blood running there too. Husband said maybe she sat there a while and buzzards pecked on her, but, there were none around and she still had eyes and a butt... Each blood trail had a hole... and, i totally expected cougar comments....lol... so i'll just go ahead and say it......lol This herd is behind our house and we were just at that spot the day before fixing fence. i will say that the cows in that area were acting really weird.. all congregating in a large group and mooing. I thought, maybe it was flies making them do this because cows will group and get annoyed if flies are bad, but, when i checked to see if anyone else had blood trails, i saw almost no flies..

Two part bad story:
1. A friend lost a place he had leased. I helped him gather cows for two full days just to be nice. Used my truck and trailer to haul them. Sale starts, and he says I better not be seen bidding on my own cattle. If one doesn't bring X amount, you bid. We'll settle up after the sale. I bought 12 head. After the sale, he said"I'm going to let you keep them cows, they're some good ones". I went and got my check book.

2. Got my 12 cows home, and one hung itself in a grapevine that night.
That wasn't very nice of your friend.
Tell you one thing and then do another.

No.. not even any foam coming out of her mouth or nose. Her butt was protruding, but nothing weird. Only other thing beyond the blood trails down her sides, is the blood spot to the left of her a couple feet away. About the size of a dessert plate, coagulated and the same state as the blood on her, but not a whole lot.. could have already been there, or it came out of her somewhere.. The only blood on her was down her side and i looked on her other side that is down, and there is blood running there too. Husband said maybe she sat there a while and buzzards pecked on her, but, there were none around and she still had eyes and a butt... Each blood trail had a hole... and, i totally expected cougar comments....lol... so i'll just go ahead and say it......lol This herd is behind our house and we were just at that spot the day before fixing fence. i will say that the cows in that area were acting really weird.. all congregating in a large group and mooing. I thought, maybe it was flies making them do this because cows will group and get annoyed if flies are bad, but, when i checked to see if anyone else had blood trails, i saw almost no flies..
It might be too late now but a blood sample taken soon afterwards and checked by the vet might reveal some type of contagion.
I assume no other animals in the herd are sick or acting out of the ordinary.

View attachment 8518
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and suggest Blackleg. Vaccines aren't 100%, effective, and the buzzards usually leave them alone (for a bit, anyway). It's triggered by any injury, which could've been horsefly bites, hence all the blood. And it takes them fast.

We had one breakthrough the vaccine. Disease was brought up by lots of rain after a big drought. Her labor triggered it, and the coyotes had a ball with her calf, but not her. Buzzards stayed away altogether

Attachments

• 3BB3DA55-FDD5-4F8D-AF89-49B1C76D9AB5.jpeg
    3BB3DA55-FDD5-4F8D-AF89-49B1C76D9AB5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 8E83112C-2925-42E7-B70A-9EDAF1C2C58E.jpeg
    8E83112C-2925-42E7-B70A-9EDAF1C2C58E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Bot flies eroding maybe?

Someone explain the blood on this cow. She had just died, her eyes still looked alive, but she was gone. No struggle marks, so she hadnt been in this spot long. Nothing had eaten on her, she had her eyes and back end, no buzzard in sight and the herd was all around her in the same area. This blood was done while she was alive and upright. The horse flies were bad, but i looked at all the other cows and there was not one spot like this on them and really, just a normal amount of horse flies around. Big fat cow, smh... She drew the double card, die for no reason and die with the WT Heck factor... View attachment 8518
Someone explain the blood on this cow. She had just died, her eyes still looked alive, but she was gone. No struggle marks, so she hadnt been in this spot long. Nothing had eaten on her, she had her eyes and back end, no buzzard in sight and the herd was all around her in the same area. This blood was done while she was alive and upright. The horse flies were bad, but i looked at all the other cows and there was not one spot like this on them and really, just a normal amount of horse flies around. Big fat cow, smh... She drew the double card, die for no reason and die with the WT Heck factor... View attachment 8518

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Latest posts