Ever Heard of This?

Help Support CattleToday:

There are alot of them black baldys that are easy keepers that stay fat year round most average weight 800 pds in my area but there best effort is about a 350 pound calf come weaning time. i dont think the salt has much to do with it as the animal itself cows being more resistant than calves.but there are others cattle that would fall apart on that program :hat:

My neighbour says that to deworm hogs all you need to do is feed them the ashes fom your woodstove. The "organic" guys will use diatimacius earth (i know,spelled it wrong)

Wood ashes is a pretty rough treatment for worms although I know it used to be done. Wood ashes is basicly lye like you would clean out a drain with although not as strong. I'd buy wormer.

Caustic Burno'":1nczhvwz said:
Now going back as a small lad this was right after the invention of dirt, never seen one of those old timers worm. Now I didn't see the quality of cattle then either as you see in most pastures today. This is one I will have to ponder on, like my old dad would say it's cheaper to keep a fat hog fat than fatten a skinny one.

I agree with Caustic on this one.

Texas A&M Ag Extension has been warning producers to make sure they worm now b/c of the drought. They said that brown stomach worms, whose eggs are in grass close to the ground, are dormant in the cows and when it rains the cattle will lose weight quickly.

Furthermore, our weaning weights increased by 25 + pounds when we wormed calves at 3 months of age. After 20 head, you've gained a free calf. ;-)

Larry Sansom knows of an article where it says that the worms are only in cattle at certain times, and sometimes worming is a waste of money, since worms cycle in and out of the cow. It was very interesting and I saved the article, but I guess I hid it from myself. Maybe he will know where he found it. I would like to save it again and put it where I can find it.

Chuckie":32wz3pgl said:
It was very interesting and I saved the article, but I guess I hid it from myself.
You probaly be better off leaving it hidden from yourself. Improvements very seldom are made by going backwards.

Chuckie, the folks that market Safeguard used to have a video or pamphlet that dealt with "strategic deworming". I studied it years ago, but don't have it handy. However, if you google "strategic deworming of cattle" you'll no doubt find many articles that discuss the life cycle of the various parasites, recommended timing program and specific types of wormers to use, with attention given to the specific part of the country in which the cattle are pastured, etc.

Latest posts