Ever hear of something like this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
I heard this story 3rd hand.
Last week a local dairy had a heifer calve, live calf but she went down and could not get up.
After couple of days called butcher. He shot her and then as he butchered her found the meat in rear quarters had all
rotted. Only usable meat was the front half. Upon closer inspection it appeared not only the meat, but the bones in the
rear quarters were also rotted as though the bones had rotted from the inside out and then spread into the meat.

Few days later a 2nd first calf heifer calved and couldn't get up. Butcher came out and found exact same thing.
Saying it almost appears as the animal's bones are rotting from the inside out and then spreading into the meat.
I would call a vet a.s.a.p. to come out to investigate what's going on.

The butcher thinks it's being caused by stray voltage.
I've never heard of such a thing... or anything that would cause animals to rot in that manner from the inside out.
Have you?

Could it be a type of bone cancer?

Son of Butch":2jvnpnwn said:
If butcher's thought of stray voltage as possible cause... Could stray voltage cause cancer?

There was a concern about the electromagnetic fields along major electric power lines causing health issues but not related to stray voltage. I bet it is another cause.

I've seen cows and pigs electrocuted by stray voltage from insulation being worn through and electrical wiring shorting out on fencing/cages/bigbluesilos. The cows were just dead. The pigs had lumbosacral luxations and bilateral comminuted femoral fractures; looked like you'd set off an M-80 in the femoral shaft.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10 ... 5816643371

ive heard a story of severe inbreeding that caused the calves to have translucet skin (like see through) where you could see blood flowing through veins, hair and skin falling off when touched, scary stuff! the guys farm was quarantened and signs posted on gates, no animals allowed to be sold a real cow mans nightmare. the guy actually bought 7 cows from the man who inbred them and caused the poor guy all the grief

Fernowranch":2z0pculn said:
Why would you call a butcher anyway.
weird
To butcher the down cow and salvage the meat... after all no drugs were given to the cow and she's only 2 yrs old.
Who do you call if you believe a cow has injured itself and won't recover?

Son of Butch":1kurltow said:
Fernowranch":1kurltow said:
Why would you call a butcher anyway.
weird
To butcher the down cow and salvage the meat... after all no drugs were given to the cow and she's only 2 yrs old.
Who do you call if you believe a cow has injured itself and won't recover?

I prefer to eat cows that died standing up. Maybe that's just me.

Craig Miller":11nxtori said:
Was it grazing next to a well house where somebody had pulled a light off a 220?
:D :lol: :lol:
My well IS within 8' of my pasture fence, but it wasn't one of mine.

I'm betting it was caused by either way too much or way too little SULPHUR!

Or...........
aliens

So a cow pinches a nerve and ya throw the meat away.... ya'll must have a job in town.
Because salvaging injured animals has been a common practice for as long as agriculture has existed.
Heck there was a question on here last year about butchering or not when you find one dead. (which is crazy)

Cattle are more sensitive to small voltages than people. Neutral to ground voltage leak of less than 1/2 volt is
considered normal. Because of complex electrical system distribution on dairy farms, dairy cows are the animal most
often effected by stray voltage causing decreased nutrient or water intake. The stress on dairy cows continually
experiencing small voltage of 1-9 volts combined with decrease in nutrient intake can lead to disease. Most commonly
mastitis. I've never heard of it causing anything severe as what must be happening on this local dairy that 2 cows were
weakened by something that must be occurring for 2 animals to develop such an odd outcome.

Could it be some sort of poisoning rather than the butcher's idea that stray voltage can cause a cow's bones to rot
from the inside out?

p.s.
Stray Voltage is defined as 10 volts or less measured between 2 points that can be simultaneously contacted.
i.e. wet concrete floor and metal wall.
Humans experience tingle sensations from voltage 10 times less than cows, in addition people wear shoes which
increase resistance. Therefore people may be totally unaware cows might be experiencing tingle sensation all the
while people touching the same two contact points feel nothing.

Son of Butch":1nsz11jm said:
So a cow pinches a nerve and ya throw the meat away.... ya'll must have a job in town.
Because salvaging injured animals has been a common practice for as long as agriculture has existed.
Heck there was a question on here last year about butchering or not when you find one dead. (which is crazy)
Or maybe grass fed only beef just stinks. I've tried two downers and think I'll just drag the next one to the far end of the field and shoot varmints off of it's carcass. You don't notice a strong tainted flavor from a downer compared to one that's been fed out?

Depends on age and how long injured. Yes I notice the flavor difference between grass fed and corn fed.
Some people describe the gamey flavor of grass fed as rancid... I like both grass fed and corn fed.

Latest posts