Ever had a run in with the law? What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
I deleted my original post. I needed to vent and now I'v cooled off.

My church's quote of the week was "if a person makes you angry, they have control of you." Not going to fret over a young policeman's need for power. Maybe he can learn from his mistake.

I would have told him to reach way down into the tank bare handed and search all he wanted.

CSM

Be polite and courteous and do not offer any words. NO WORDS! If asked a question, try to use the words "I don't know" with "where", "how", "when", etc., such as "I don't know when". Also, be general with answers. For example, officer asks where do you live? You may say, on the north side of town. If you are on the video camera, as in outside of your vehicle, pretend you are Kevin Costner (or female couterpart) acting in a Western because they want your money to pay bills and to reach their quotas. Beware of your body language and be cool. You are the taxpayer. The officer gets paid by tax revenue. You are, in effect, the officer's boss, so talk like a nice boss. There are also occasions where a judge will see the video. Final word, if you know the local prosecuting attorney for the county, pretend the officer is the prosecutor. During a recession, counties need revenue!

ffamom":3puz7o8b said:
I deleted my original post. I needed to vent and now I'v cooled off.

My church's quote of the week was "if a person makes you angry, they have control of you." Not going to fret over a young policeman's need for power. Maybe he can learn from his mistake.

I had a deputy yank me out of my pickup truck once and jam the barrell of a 12 gauge pump shotgun into my throat and leave it there for several minutes while the deputies searched my truck and yelled questions at me. I was a college kid who regularly short cutted through the backroads of Shelby County cotton fields between Auburn U. and my Grandparents St Clair County ranch. Unbeknownst too me, the Black folks who lived on that back road made their money selling illegal substances too folks and on that day I drove right into a massive drug offender search and a White college kid riding into that unlikely place was extremely suspicious to the drug task force (I had to slam on the brakes of my '71 Chevie 3/4 ton to keep from hitting a couple of patrol cars). It took an hour plus but I got let go uncharged and unharmed. That somebody can blow your head off with a twitch of a finger is not a pleasant feeling even if the guy is sworn "to serve and protect".

Wow! Funny this came up because a young horse trainer I know is in trouble right now. Wrong place at the wrong time scenario! He was at a pharmacy picking up a prescription for his GF and in the parking lot around the same time, some woman was assaulted. Not sexually but verbally by someone who obviously knew her. She said the guy had a white coat and hat on. The police had no video of the parking lot so they looked at store videos from around the same time and came up with my friend. 3 days later, while he was showering to attend a charity event and they came to the door and arrested him. They were pretty rough on him and he got cuts and bruises to the face and hand cuffs caused him some bleeding. 8 hrs of interrigation....then he gets a lawyer who won't talk to him unless he gives 2500 bucks up front. Lawyer says: Ya I can get you off the charge but it will cost between 8-10,000$! This kid is from a good family and is a hard working lad. WTF is he supposed to do now?

Onthebit":rbh6vskr said:
Wow! Funny this came up because a young horse trainer I know is in trouble right now. Wrong place at the wrong time scenario! He was at a pharmacy picking up a prescription for his GF and in the parking lot around the same time, some woman was assaulted. Not sexually but verbally by someone who obviously knew her. She said the guy had a white coat and hat on. The police had no video of the parking lot so they looked at store videos from around the same time and came up with my friend. 3 days later, while he was showering to attend a charity event and they came to the door and arrested him. They were pretty rough on him and he got cuts and bruises to the face and hand cuffs caused him some bleeding. 8 hrs of interrigation....then he gets a lawyer who won't talk to him unless he gives 2500 bucks up front. Lawyer says: Ya I can get you off the charge but it will cost between 8-10,000$! This kid is from a good family and is a hard working lad. WTF is he supposed to do now?

Is verbal assault a crime? If so, can you give me an example?

HerefordSire":3czzw0xd said:
Onthebit":3czzw0xd said:

Is verbal assault a crime? If so, can you give me an example?

Verbal assult is a crime and a couple of weeks ago I had the Resource Officer write a ticket to a young lady who became angry and call me an effin B in class. I hope her mother enjoys paying that 250.00 dollar fine. She has to learn at some point. She is the second student against whom I have filed a complaint and had fined. Not acceptable. Not in school, not at work. I don't feel the least bit sorry about it.

Is verbal assault a crime? If so, can you give me an example?[/quote]

I said it wasn't sexual but it was more than verbal. She was grabbed from behind and 'spoken' to. Obviously by someone who knew her. My friend doesn't even know her.

HerefordSire":3ek87q13 said:
Be polite and courteous and do not offer any words. NO WORDS! If asked a question, try to use the words "I don't know" with "where", "how", "when", etc., such as "I don't know when". Also, be general with answers. For example, officer asks where do you live? You may say, on the north side of town. If you are on the video camera, as in outside of your vehicle, pretend you are Kevin Costner (or female couterpart) acting in a Western because they want your money to pay bills and to reach their quotas. Beware of your body language and be cool. You are the taxpayer. The officer gets paid by tax revenue. You are, in effect, the officer's boss, so talk like a nice boss. There are also occasions where a judge will see the video. Final word, if you know the local prosecuting attorney for the county, pretend the officer is the prosecutor. During a recession, counties need revenue!

Hit the nail on the head right there HerefordSire! Be nice, and address them politely. It is true that all they mainly want is your money, and to be able to get you into the court system to get all they can from you. Cops are only the puppets who get everyone into the judges courtroom, so the lawyers and (him or her) can make money.

Back when I was younger, some friends and I rode our horses in the Veterans Day parade in town, and after the parade we stayed in town all day riding on the back streets. Well late that afternoon they all loaded up and left for home. I was talking to someone and was the last to leave. Well guess what, my horse didn't want to get in the trailer. By myself, no help, and at the time we didn't have cell phones. After trying for some time I gave up. I took a chain I had in the truck and chained the horse to the trailer and drove off slowly. Thinking if I made her walk for a while she'd get in. Didn't happen. I stopped at a bar out of town and got some help. We tried everything and she still wouldn't load. I asked one of the guys I knew to follow me the rest of the way home. So here we are going at the speed of a slow walk, at night with a horse chained to a trailer. People would stop us and ask to help, but it was no use, we just kept going. Well the guy following me picked up a man he used to know walking down the road. About an hour later we were on a dirt road and I could see police lights comming. One cop car pulled in front of me and the other four were lined up on the side of us. The first thing I thought of was that someone called the animal people for being cruel. But the reason they stopped us was because the man my friend picked up had just escaped from the town jail and one of the people that asked if we needed help reconized him. After being questioned, one of the deputies asked the sherriff if he wanted to arrest us for aiding a fellon. The sherrif looked at us, looked at the horse chained to the trailer, and said "no, I don't think these boys knew anything about it " They left us in the dark and the dust just as quick as they came. That was a heck of a day.

Read an article once about more and more police doping up on steroids. That could potentially be a bad mix.

The Delmarva (Delaware-Maryland-Virginia) border region is a good duck hunting area.
One day, I was duck hunting and I shot a duck and about the time the duck hit the ground, the game warden appeared. He picked up the duck, spread it's legs and smelled it's rear end. He told me, that is a Delaware duck, have you got a Delaware license? I pulled out my billfold and showed him my Delaware license. Later, I shot another duck, the game warden showed up again and spread it's legs, smelled it's rear end and said, That is a Virginia duck, have you got a Virginia license? I pulled out my billfold and showed him my Virginia license. Later, I shot another duck and the game warden appeared again. He grabbed the duck and smelled it's rear end and said, that is a Maryland duck, have you got a Maryland license? Once again, I pulled out my billfold and I showed him a Maryland license.
He looked at me for a moment and said, you have a Maryland license, a Delaware license, and a Virginia license----just where in the heck are you from, boy?
I turned my back to him, pulled down my pants, bent over, and said "you are the expert, you tell me".
Just kidding, but seemed like the appropriate place to tell the story

Speaking of duck hunting. Here, there is no legal way to shoot ducks since all we have are woodies and you have to shoot them at a roost. As you know, they don't go to roost until after shooting hours. Nevertheless, this is how we have always shot them and will probably continue to shoot them as long as we are stupid enough to play the game. Anyhow, there is a large stretch of woods that floods each winter. Woodies come in by the droves. The powers that be have hunted ducks here for generations. Since the judge and other powerful people hunt this spot the warden couldn't do anything to stop it. This was a big yearly event - UNTIL.

Liquor was flowing and the ducks were a flying. One fella looks to his left and sees a black man in a camo jacket with a cap with a duck embroidered on it. In a liquor slurred voice he said, "well gd, who invited a f'ing ngger!" The black man flipped out his badge that showed he was with the USFWS and said, "here is my invitation". That promptly ended the hunt but only was the beginning of their debut on televsion as the next day tv crews filmed them picking up the ducks. I'm so glad I was not a member of their good ol boy's club.

:lol: That's a good one Jo. I've been waiting for some water to get in the branches to bring in the ducks. Been dry up 'till tonight. I think the branches will be flowing after tonight. I've got the corn ready for distribution! Nothing beats Wood Duck shooting for thrills. You gotta be super quick with a shotgun.

ga. prime":5gh991tl said:
:lol: That's a good one Jo. I've been waiting for some water to get in the branches to bring in the ducks. Been dry up 'till tonight. I think the branches will be flowing after tonight. I've got the corn ready for distribution! Nothing beats Wood Duck shooting for thrills. You gotta be super quick with a shotgun.

I love it. If they would just give us 30 more minutes thats all we need just 30. Most of our hunts last about this long but it is fast and furious. One thing is for sure, you don't want to talk about going duck hunting before you go or it tends to get extremely expensive unless you are going with the judge.

Latest posts