Ever feel like this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ever? How about years? But there is a payoff for taking your life back!! :nod: :cowboy:

Finally got my cholesterol level down to 168

Got my results back today and my cholesterol was 237. I guess I need to eat more oatmeal. No, it was that high when I was a workout fool and ten pounds skinnier. Just runs in the family. Oh well, back to Cheerios and low-fat. I was pretty proud of my diet, too. Runs in the family, alone with Alzheimer's.

Envy my husband? :help:

Envy my husband? :help:[/quote]

Not really. Most of us are worried about him most of the time anyway :nod:

Lammie":26a47tfl said:
Got my results back today and my cholesterol was 237. I guess I need to eat more oatmeal. No, it was that high when I was a workout fool and ten pounds skinnier. Just runs in the family. Oh well, back to Cheerios and low-fat. I was pretty proud of my diet, too. Runs in the family, alone with Alzheimer's.

I guess this means that Steve don't get no gravy, or ham, or biscuits. Unless you forget your cholesterol and start cooking again. :)

Lammie":izg1vns7 said:
Got my results back today and my cholesterol was 237. I guess I need to eat more oatmeal.

Lammie,

Just went in a couple of weeks ago for my yearly checkup. My cholesterol was 233. Doc said that at age 39 & not overweight that was way too high - now he has me taking daily medicine for it. My family history if riddled with every imaginable sickness, so I try to listen to the doc.

Doc said my ratio was better than he had ever seen in a man.

I am professionally unmedicated. Luck of the draw or maybe self medication?

Lammie":3jdeids5 said:

Doc put me on 20mg of simvastatin. Took mine down from 238 to 156 real quick. Bad part is the glucose is on the rise again since the days are shorter. :(

It tends to run in the family on my mother's side. It was high even when I weighed ten fewer pounds and worked out daily. I guess I will get in to see my doctor. Thing is, the medications tend to make me feel worse than I do now. Everything else was within normal levels.

Lammie, it might be worthwhile to try a different med. There are about 6 or 8 that are commonly used, and some folks can only tolerate a particular one. I was on zetia for a while and it got the numbers waaaay down, but studies showed that other than the low numbers, it was useless. My total has been around 115 or 120, LDL 60s, and HDL 30s, the last few years. Perfect except for the HDL which should be 40 or more. Doc said to exercise to get the HDL up. Farm work does not count as exercise, so I started working out diligently, and lo and behold, my HDL went from 39 to 36 in a year. As a general rule, the general rules (diet and exercise) don't do anything for me, Go figger.

But the main thing is that the statin drugs do offer many benefits beyond lowering the numbers, so it would be nice if you could find one that you can tolerate. Recent studies suggest that they may also be useful in combatting Alzheimers disease. :tiphat:

Jim62":2kdtuvwi said:
Lammie, it might be worthwhile to try a different med. There are about 6 or 8 that are commonly used, and some folks can only tolerate a particular one. I was on zetia for a while and it got the numbers waaaay down, but studies showed that other than the low numbers, it was useless. My total has been around 115 or 120, LDL 60s, and HDL 30s, the last few years. Perfect except for the HDL which should be 40 or more. Doc said to exercise to get the HDL up. Farm work does not count as exercise, so I started working out diligently, and lo and behold, my HDL went from 39 to 36 in a year. As a general rule, the general rules (diet and exercise) don't do anything for me, Go figger.

But the main thing is that the statin drugs do offer many benefits beyond lowering the numbers, so it would be nice if you could find one that you can tolerate. Recent studies suggest that they may also be useful in combatting Alzheimers disease. :tiphat:

Guess I need to discuss this with my doctor. My HDL was 55.

Last yearly I was told I'm 10 pounds over weight and needed to drop it off. My cholesterol is 98 the HDL is 48 LDL 101 but I always end up dehydrated when I get my blood work done.

After the blood work I was called back into the office and wanted to know what my diet was and how much water I drink a day. We eat homemade muffins or French toast and left over meat for breakfast, pasta what ever for lunch with a salad, salad tatters with a huge peace of meat for dinner but don't for get the cookies before bed. I almost drink 2 gallons of water a day, 2 glasses fruit juice, and 2 (18oz or so) sodas. The sugar test was because I pee too much. It made him mad because my blood work was better than his.

Sent me for the sugar test where you don't eat for 10 hours, drink that nasty stuff, and sit around for a few hours. They took blood 4 times during this but they said it came out wrong because I drank to much water but the numbers say I passed. Sent me to a different place to redo it and it came out the same way with a note saying I drank to much water during the test.

10 year ago cholesterol was 250 the HDL was 90 LDL 210. My wife took everything out of the house that was not good for me and put signs up in local stores to not let me buy anything with sugar init. It took 6 years to get off the meds they put me on. I feel great most of the time now.

mobgrazer":3t9zjw6n said:
Last yearly I was told I'm 10 pounds over weight and needed to drop it off. My cholesterol is 98 the HDL is 48 LDL 101 but I always end up dehydrated when I get my blood work done.

After the blood work I was called back into the office and wanted to know what my diet was and how much water I drink a day. We eat homemade muffins or French toast and left over meat for breakfast, pasta what ever for lunch with a salad, salad tatters with a huge peace of meat for dinner but don't for get the cookies before bed. I almost drink 2 gallons of water a day, 2 glasses fruit juice, and 2 (18oz or so) sodas. The sugar test was because I pee too much. It made him mad because my blood work was better than his.

Sent me for the sugar test where you don't eat for 10 hours, drink that nasty stuff, and sit around for a few hours. They took blood 4 times during this but they said it came out wrong because I drank to much water but the numbers say I passed. Sent me to a different place to redo it and it came out the same way with a note saying I drank to much water during the test.

10 year ago cholesterol was 250 the HDL was 90 LDL 210. My wife took everything out of the house that was not good for me and put signs up in local stores to not let me buy anything with sugar init. It took 6 years to get off the meds they put me on. I feel great most of the time now.

Mobgrazer if you keeep going to these Doctors they're gonna kill you. Sounds like your wife knows more than they do.
BTW did the signs in the stores have yer picture on them. That's some funny stuff there. :lol2:

3waycross":1s6tdd94 said:
Mobgrazer if you keeep going to these Doctors they're gonna kill you. Sounds like your wife knows more than they do.
BTW did the signs in the stores have yer picture on them. That's some funny stuff there. :lol2:

Yep it had a front and side view. 2 years ago I had to buy one off the manager for $100 because they still would not let me buy a soda. But it was in a nice frame. I still catch h311 for it every now and then.

Had to edit because i miss spelled a cuss word and it sub it for "be nice"

You must take your cholesterol differently to us as mine is well within the guide lines of 5.5. I had mine taken two weeks ago and it was 4.6
and the very good thing is my blood sugars are back down to normal levels. :banana:

I am gonna have to hide this post because if the wife sees it she'll have me at the Dr. she has been harping on it for months now then my sister passed last month and one of the others found out today she has diabetes so I am really hearing it now
Can't the Dr just let us live and die in piece :cowboy: :drink:

chrisy":ftsej18o said:
You must take your cholesterol differently to us as mine is well within the guide lines of 5.5. I had mine taken two weeks ago and it was 4.6

The ratio measurement is coming on over here as a accepted tool. Mine was in the 3's.

Latest posts