Evaluating a 12 month old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
This is my 12 month old Murray Grey bull, which we're planning on using this summer on 12 cows and heifers. What do you look for in evaluating a bull physically (beyond EPD's), and how does he look? This is our first one to I'm looking for honest, candid feedback.

Murray_Grey_Yearling_Bull.jpg

You can see a larger image here: http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/Murray_Grey_Yearling_Bull.jpg

I like his head but I don't care for his topline and he looks pinched in the girth. Not enough capacity. I don't know much about bulls though.

Hard to evaluate a calf who has not been allowed to express his genetic potential, especially when he is alone.

Impossible I would say.

He looks OK to me, but it is hard to say what he will grow into. Picture makes him look like he's been on low-quality, coarse hay; hence the pot gut and thin muscle. Get him wormed and on some good feed and I'd bet he'll look much better in a couple months.

You're right. He has been on "mediocre" hay, as it's been hard to get here, and he's been on pasture for about 10 days now. There's a fair amount to eat out there, but the growing season won't start for a little over a month.

I know MG's are reputed as efficient grass machines, but go get him some groceries with some protein. You won't regret it.

I operate in a low-input environment here and my yearlings often look very much like that coming out of winter. I'd say there's nothing outstandingly bad about him, bearing in mind there's little fat to hide anything awful. Post another picture in six weeks and let's look at him again. :)

I'd say he lacks a bit of maturity at this stage and would be doubtful if he was fertile enough to cope with 12 cows.
As you say you will use him in summer, perhaps another 3 months and some good feed would make a big difference to his looks. Post another photo then and I'm sure he will have changed.
Have you got EPD's for him and what is his breeding?

Latest posts