Estrus Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I bred Tatum at sundown yesterday. She was on day 21 past her last observed estrus cycle and true to form, she was standing yesterday morning. I watched her for about 20 minutes. She was standing while others mounted her. Her chalk was gone. I decided to breed her at sundown. The weather is in a good patch. Temperatures in the 40s and clear skies. Bred her at 5 pm. The sunset was beautiful. Nice day to be doing something rewarding. Her cervix had good tone and it took me about 5 minutes. I landmarked the tip with my finger to make sure it was not in one of the horns and deposited the straw. She is a 5/8 Simmental and her Grandsire is Grandmaster. She is an October heifer 15 months old. She is small but has a pelvic score of 202.5. When she was turned into the herd, it did not take long before she was back to flirting. Her behavior would leave the impression she was still in estrus. I started wondering if I bred her too soon. Second guessing is a common practice. My success has been good so maybe it does not matter. I mentioned this to Fire Sweep and she said her cows are usually out of the estrus behavior by the time she AIs. In my experience, I see some estrus behavior on a regular basis after AI.

I bred her to Uno Mas.
2mo1j11.jpg

Not fair your grass is still green!!! Ours is all dormant after this last cold spell.
By the way, great bull you AI'd her to!

If mine are still showing the next morning, I breed them again. I probably go through more semen than I should. But it beats waiting another cycle for me.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1t649heg said:
Not fair your grass is still green!!! Ours is all dormant after this last cold spell.
By the way, great bull you AI'd her to!

Kris, that is an early fall picture. Grass is not that green now.

Putangitangi":2fgvml1a said:
If you're 10 hours past the start of standing heat, then she'll be fine. Mine are often still in standing heat, if they have long heats.

I agree. I have a heifer that stayed in heat for almost two days. Not sure what was going on with that.

If they are still standing 8 hours after I breed I stick another starw in them of bull of a different breed then the first. I can only recall once that they settled to the second straw. But it makes me feel better.

ousoonerfan22":10exyz1h said:
Didn't somebody post some information about semen lasting for 24 hours or more?

Select Sires guy told me semen from a straw can last up to 48 hours. Ejaculate from a bull can last up to 72 hours. I think I got that right.

Does anybody give a shot of GnRH to cows/ heifers like this that you just aren't sure of? It should cause the egg to release but what is the time frame for being effective?

toughntender":1p6p23hg said:
Does anybody give a shot of GnRH to cows/ heifers like this that you just aren't sure of? It should cause the egg to release but what is the time frame for being effective?

First, this heifer has passed her post-AI cycle period and did not come back into estrus. I believe she is bred.

Your question: I do not normally and I did not in this case. But Fire Sweep Ranch does and I bred my last cow about 10 days ago under those circumstances where you have concern you may be early. I gave her 2 mL of cystorelin.

BTW: I am super excited about this calf prospect. This heifer is a granddaughter of Grandmaster and since this picture has really come on. great form and muscled. Fire Sweep has seen her. She is now bred to have a late fall calf to Uno Mas. My breeding advice comes to me from Kris (fire sweep ranch). The prospects are exciting!!!

Latest posts