Estrus Behavior- Observations

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I have 14 cows and two heifers to AI. I started Thanksgiving Day. As of this morning, I have serviced 13.

I have been documenting their cycles all fall to prepare me for when to suspect the onset of estrus.

OBSERVATIONS:

1. The estrus cycles have tended to be long. Many have gone the full 24 days.

2. Activity has been suppressed. Almost reminiscent of a hot May-June breeding season.

3. All are chalked. I have had 4 of the 13 serviced to date come into estrus and show no sign of having been mounted enough to significantly erase their chalk. I observe my cows 6 to 7 times a day. In fact, I go out before bedtime and at 6 am in the morning.

4. If I observe a cow jumping beginning in the morning and jumping through the day but not standing, I have been breeding her late that night and again the next morning.

5. I observed that if more than one cow is close to their estrus, there is mounting activity. But if a lone cow comes in, she will mount others but the other cows may ignore her. Those are the ones that make difficult breeding decisions.

I have a question about your #4 observation. Some one on this forum stated that because the sperm stay alive and keep trying there should be at least 15 hours between services or the second straw is wasted. Do you not agree with that?

I am interested in this topic right now as I have kept heifers of my own, bought a yearling bull, trying to get two yr olds bred back, and trying to breed as many two yr olds to my old bull as I can before I turn him out to the cows (which don't need a little feed along like I would be giving the two yr olds), and have been turning the two yr olds in to him in the lot one on one as I notice them.

I have noticed some, to me, odd behavior. Heifer may show signs of doing "something", restless, bawling, but not standing. That evening, or the next morning there may be evidence of some breeding that took place, or at least some mounting. May exhibit the same signs for a day. Maybe then again in a couple days. This is on one heifer in particular. Another heifer may show signs of being in for a couple feedings (morning and evening) then nothing else, so far.

With the old bull in the lot and the two yr olds being fed across the fence I get a little teasing going on so that makes it handy to watch for a while.

City Guy":bnrh0fu8 said:
I have a question about your #4 observation. Some one on this forum stated that because the sperm stay alive and keep trying there should be at least 15 hours between services or the second straw is wasted. Do you not agree with that?

The time span between the first straw and the second straw simply extends the period viable sperm are available to fertilize the ovum.

I serviced a cow last night at dusk. 6 pm.

I will service her again in 30 minutes. Thus the time between service is approximately 12 hours. That extends the period of potentially viable sperm being available by 12 hours.

1. guessing Sept calvers? Have they cycled at 24 the 2 or 3 cycles since calving? Do a few natural heat cows, so far they have been like clock work a few 19 days few up to 23.

2. This I find real interesting. I sync most everything, the activity I've seen this week has been strong and % in heat very pleased. Monday and Tuesday 31 100% response. Helped on heifer project Thursday 97 of 106, yesterday 48 of 50. I know you like being out with your cattle so sync may not be an option but sure has worked around here.

3. Buy some patches throw that chalk in the trash. Lol

4. Agree 100%

5. I've seen that same thing I try to relate it to boss cow or the one that nobody likes. Those do make it tough, I like to see them like balls of snakes.

Your observations goes to show that knowing your cows makes AI much easier

bse":3m503ysl said:
1. guessing Sept calvers? Have they cycled at 24 the 2 or 3 cycles since calving? Do a few natural heat cows, so far they have been like clock work a few 19 days few up to 23.

2. This I find real interesting. I sync most everything, the activity I've seen this week has been strong and % in heat very pleased. Monday and Tuesday 31 100% response. Helped on heifer project Thursday 97 of 106, yesterday 48 of 50. I know you like being out with your cattle so sync may not be an option but sure has worked around here.

3. Buy some patches throw that chalk in the trash. Lol

4. Agree 100%

5. I've seen that same thing I try to relate it to boss cow or the one that nobody likes. Those do make it tough, I like to see them like balls of snakes.

Thanks very much.

First, yes. Sept. Calvers. Some have cycled 3 times. I got one first calf heifer that only cycled once and then skipped her second cycle. I had that happen last fall on a first calf heifer and ended up using a CIDR.

Second, I agree on the chalk. I have had this debate with Fire Sweep. I think the chalk tends to gob on a cluster of hairs and you cannot get it off. I have tested this theory. If chalk "setsup" you cannot brush it out.

Third, next fall I am going to sync. Get it all done then pick up the ones that don't stick on a natural basis.

Nesikep":29zmenbb said:
You need a bull! :p

I have heard dairies use pedometers and heart rate monitors to help detect heats

Not yet. I like unwrapping all those presents and the process of Artificial Insemination and matching the bull to the cow. Not to mention, that buyers like chasing those big name genetics.

Yes Ron "it takes two to tango". You get two on and they will be shagging each other all night, one solo and they will be wandering around trying to get something to mount it.

I synch in batches of 5, all that I can handle at once. I AI on heat detection and I find with 5 I can usually get at least 2 on at 48 hrs after the cidr and then at least another 2 at the 72 hrs, makes heat detection a lot easier. I use tail paint when the cidr comes out and that works well but I get the group together again after about 18 days and put patches on them and keep them handy for any rebreeds. I like the patches for the rebreeding, I'll often pick up another couple after they go back out with the herd.

Ken

Latest posts