Estramate

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

In using estramate to sychronize heat cycles; do you have to give 2 injections a week apart or will one injection do the job. I cannot find alot of info on this. My boss gave injections 12-10-00 right before an ice storm and snow to 13 cows. We've only had 2 cows cycle. I figure the weather had alot to do with it but then again maybe we needed to give 2 injections? Any comments on this would be appreciated.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Estrumate will cause cows to cycle only if they are at the correct time of their estrus. Too close to their own heat, they will wait, too soon after a heat they won't cycle either. It also won't start an estrus cycle in a cow not cycling.<p>The 2 shot method is used, with you breeding the cows that cycle off the first shot, and a second shot to the ones that didn't, I can't remember the exact time frame, then you brred on any heats and breed the rest at 72 hours regardless of showing heat or not. <p>It doesn't work that well, maybe 60%-70% conception, on 60-70% that cycle. (36%-49% overall)<p>It's better to use newer methods like cidrs, where conception will go past 80% with nearly all cycling.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3hecwilv said:
: Estrumate will cause cows to cycle only if they are at the correct time of their estrus. Too close to their own heat, they will wait, too soon after a heat they won't cycle either. It also won't start an estrus cycle in a cow not cycling.<p>: The 2 shot method is used, with you breeding the cows that cycle off the first shot, and a second shot to the ones that didn't, I can't remember the exact time frame, then you brred on any heats and breed the rest at 72 hours regardless of showing heat or not. <p>: It doesn't work that well, maybe 60%-70% conception, on 60-70% that cycle. (36%-49% overall)<p>: It's better to use newer methods like cidrs, where conception will go past 80% with nearly all cycling.<p>: Jason Trowbridge<br>: Southern Angus Farms<br>: Alberta Canada<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1x7fnvxu said:
: Estrumate will cause cows to cycle only if they are at the correct time of their estrus. Too close to their own heat, they will wait, too soon after a heat they won't cycle either. It also won't start an estrus cycle in a cow not cycling.<p>: The 2 shot method is used, with you breeding the cows that cycle off the first shot, and a second shot to the ones that didn't, I can't remember the exact time frame, then you brred on any heats and breed the rest at 72 hours regardless of showing heat or not. <p>: It doesn't work that well, maybe 60%-70% conception, on 60-70% that cycle. (36%-49% overall)<p>: It's better to use newer methods like cidrs, where conception will go past 80% with nearly all cycling.<p>: Jason Trowbridge<br>: Southern Angus Farms<br>: Alberta Canada<p>
<br>

[email protected]

cirds are a new syncronization method. They are a cervical implant that release hormones to the cow over 1 week. Supplimental shots are given, it includes working the cows at least 4 times. Talk to a vet, or a.i. supplier and they will be able to set up the program for you.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]