Estimated BW

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
I was reading in the Sydenstricker Genetics catalog. Pg. 24 talks about estimated BW using a mesuring device(tape)? Does anyone use this type for your records. I was told to weigh, if you can, the calves.

Scotty

Scotty":3671vric said:
I was reading in the Sydenstricker Genetics catalog. Pg. 24 talks about estimated BW using a mesuring device(tape)? Does anyone use this type for your records. I was told to weigh, if you can, the calves.

Scotty

Some people use a "Foot Tape" and measure around the base of the hoof. It's fairly accurate but certainly not exact.

The argument for the tape is that you are only wanting to find the small and large ones in a contemporary group any way.

I personally prefer to weigh them.

Everytime I've checked the tape against the scale it's been within two pounds. The literature that came with the tape said to expect +/- 7 lbs if I rememeber right.

For most breeds, the tape is actually more accurate than weighing.

Why?

Because the weight of a calf can change about 8-15 pounds in the first 24 hours of life. If you weigh them right away, they are heavy then lose weight via dehydration until they eat enough to gain it back.

While the weight varies greatly then based on eactly how close your timing is on each calf, the hoof doesn't shrink by as large a percentage over the same time, so it then more accurate.

mtnman

Is the weight tape only this accurate for BW or does it get within a few pounds for WW as well as YW?

Alan

The tapes I've seen for measureing BW only go up to 150lbs or so. I'm not sure if anyone makes a "hoof" tape for older calves. You can get a "girth" tape which I believe you use around there chest. I've not used one of these so I don't know how accurate they are. The BW hoof tape we use has been within +/- 2 lbs on the ones we have also weighed with scale.

I always weigh my calves. If possible, I weigh them before they're old enough to be completely dry since I'm looking for a true birth weight. Can't see any use for a tape that is only accurate to +/- 7 lbs. Most people can guess +/- 7 lbs. on a calf. +/- 2 lbs. would be more useable, but why? If "momma" let's you get close enough to wrap a tape around a hoof, why not just pick them up and weigh them?

rwtherefords":9fjdnd8g said:
I always weigh my calves. If possible, I weigh them before they're old enough to be completely dry since I'm looking for a true birth weight. Can't see any use for a tape that is only accurate to +/- 7 lbs. Most people can guess +/- 7 lbs. on a calf. +/- 2 lbs. would be more useable, but why? If "momma" let's you get close enough to wrap a tape around a hoof, why not just pick them up and weigh them?

Convenience. It's easier and faster when you already have them on the ground to just put a tape around their foot than to carry around a sling and scales and fumble around trying to put the sling on the calf. JMO

El_Putzo":3qz5q2dg said:
rwtherefords":3qz5q2dg said:

Convenience. It's easier and faster when you already have them on the ground to just put a tape around their foot than to carry around a sling and scales and fumble around trying to put the sling on the calf. JMO

No sling and scales for ME! I use a 450lb. limit electronic bathroom style scale. Put it on the ground. Pick up the calf and step on the scales. Then, put the calf down. Doesn't take anytime at all, and the scale is light and easy to carry under one arm. Weigh yourself with the same clothing. etc. and subtract from the first weight for the calf's weight. It takes longer to put the ear tag in than to get their weight.

rwtherefords":281z1x4f said:
El_Putzo":281z1x4f said:
rwtherefords":281z1x4f said:

I think I will try this,

Scotty

No sling and scales for ME! I use a 450lb. limit electronic bathroom style scale. Put it on the ground. Pick up the calf and step on the scales. Then, put the calf down. Doesn't take anytime at all, and the scale is light and easy to carry under one arm. Weigh yourself with the same clothing. etc. and subtract from the first weight for the calf's weight. It takes longer to put the ear tag in than to get their weight.

Latest posts