Estimate hay per cow per month?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just want to thank all involved. This has turned out to be more educational than I expected. But I got the estimates I needed. I'm smart enough to understand they are only estimates. Thanks again to all that helped.

gimpyrancher":34wovcvw said:
Just want to thank all involved. This has turned out to be more educational than I expected. But I got the estimates I needed. I'm smart enough to understand they are only estimates. Thanks again to all that helped.
Never underestimate the amount a mature cow can eat especially during cold/wet weather.

TexasBred":18n6hx8x said:
gimpyrancher":18n6hx8x said:
Never underestimate the amount a mature cow can eat especially during cold/wet weather.

:nod: :nod:

Caustic Burno":1c4lqf4p said:
Well I am fixing to break new ground, I am about out of water in a subtropical rain forest.
Adding the cost of water to feed and hay might have just sent half of what is left to the salebarn. The mind blowing part is I had 28 pairs last year and was letting the neighbor run some over here in last years "drought" and having to cut grass. I am down to 10 which is Ok if by choice. I had been cutting back anyway just never imagined feeding to the number I have left in July/August. They should be standing belly deep in grass and I shouldn't have to put out a roll of hay until Dec.
Two out of four stock tanks have dried up along with both creeks, NOAA put out we are 42 inches behind yesterday.
Now I cut back for health reason's but this drought is starting to be nice me off. I have the money to carry them thats not the issue, the issue is I have always maintained a cow must pay it's way to stay. I have culled down to nothing except high dollar girls for seedstock. Here is the quandry where my crystal ball isn't working if I sell out this quality of cow, what is the cost going to be to replace her next year.
Sorry I got long winded it gets down to it doesn't matter if you are running 10 or a 1000 you should approach your operation in the same way, in the cow has to make money.

With just 10 cows, would it make any kind of sense (esp monetary) to ship them where the grass is? (NORTH!)
Our problem up here is TOO DANG WET! We've had a helluva time haying this year. Finally spent the last 4 days in a row cutting/raking/baling. Put up 81 tons of hay and that's only about a quarter what we need.
Of COURSE my hubby says the horses should go...... and I say NOT! :roll:

Here's wishing for all the rain you need to get back in shape CB and for those of you who've been wet; sunshine, good winds and low humidity! :nod:

Keep your horse, LazyARanch, for your peace of mind through the rest of the shyt.

Out here, 2nd orchard grass is cut and down, as is 2nd alfalfa and some 2nd Timothy. But clouds are threatening -- which is just normal . . . . no rain 'till the hay is down!

no matter where you are,its best to figure hay for 6 to 7 months feeding.you need 6 to 9 1000lb bales pre grown hd a year.an in todays drought that would cost you $750 a cow for hay.an if you have plain beef cows its cheaper to sell out an quit.im even thinking about selling my reg heifers this fall to cut my herd.an we are going to cut the stock cow herd to the bone this fall.

bigbull338":3ell20m5 said:
no matter where you are,its best to figure hay for 6 to 7 months feeding.you need 6 to 9 1000lb bales pre grown hd a year.an in todays drought that would cost you $750 a cow for hay.an if you have plain beef cows its cheaper to sell out an quit.im even thinking about selling my reg heifers this fall to cut my herd.an we are going to cut the stock cow herd to the bone this fall.

I know I'm rather green, but I don't understand this math. Last year, I fed 1.7 rounds (tight 4x5's) per head. I'll admit, this was for only 30 head, but if I had to figure 6-9 rounds per winter season, that would take the fun out of it :D I should also say that I have been putting out winter annuals, direct and overseed, and they eat on that until about Newyears days. This year I planted more because of the drought situation

I think maybe BB is referring to this year alone. Most around here having been feeding hay since July if they keep their cattle they'll most likely feed until March. Not the norm but how it will be this year. Most years I feed from mid November to Mid March.

[/quote]You are at the point of taking the pencil off what the cows are costing you. You now need to put the pencil onto the quality of life you want. One important part of having that quality is involvement with cattle. That involvement has value. Maybe not something you can put a pencil to but I believe has far more value than money.[/quote]

I could not agree more. Good post :tiphat: :tiphat: