Establishing WW B Dahl

Help Support CattleToday:

AntebellumAcres

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a new place close to town that I'm looking to maximize production on, thinking it might be a place to fall calve heifers on, so I'm trying to manipulate our pastures accordingly. I've been researching WW B Dahl for some time and I think this fall I'm going to invest in some seed. My question is, could I plan on turning these heifers in during the establishment year, if I pulled them off in time for the grass to seed? (very light stocking density) Or am I being over-aggressive in my assumptions? Of course I'm not sure how the seed will take, and this is depending on how well it comes up. I've seen pastures that look great the first summer, and have heard others that say their stands didn't come in thick for several years.

I'm on sandy-clay loam soils, and average about 34 inches of rain a year.

AntebellumAcres said:
Hello all,

I have a new place close to town that I'm looking to maximize production on, thinking it might be a place to fall calve heifers on, so I'm trying to manipulate our pastures accordingly. I've been researching WW B Dahl for some time and I think this fall I'm going to invest in some seed. My question is, could I plan on turning these heifers in during the establishment year, if I pulled them off in time for the grass to seed? (very light stocking density) Or am I being over-aggressive in my assumptions? Of course I'm not sure how the seed will take, and this is depending on how well it comes up. I've seen pastures that look great the first summer, and have heard others that say their stands didn't come in thick for several years.

i bought some seed a few years ago from dillards, but never put it out. i was going to plant it in the spring. would think to not graze first year, but don't know. somebody on here will have some good advice.

ccr said:
AntebellumAcres said:
Hello all,

i bought some seed a few years ago from dillards, but never put it out. i was going to plant it in the spring. would think to not graze first year, but don't know. somebody on here will have some good advice.

Well hopefully you saved yourself some money buying it a few years back, despite a decent spring I've heard to expect 25+ dollars per pound this year. Do you recall if Dillard's was selling bearded or clipped/beardless seeds?

AntebellumAcres said:
Well hopefully you saved yourself some money buying it a few years back, despite a decent spring I've heard to expect 25+ dollars per pound this year. Do you recall if Dillard's was selling bearded or clipped/beardless seeds?

sorry, don't know about that

IF you get a nice stand of grass, you can graze it lightly. Next year's crop depends on not only the seed produced but the plants from this year.

I don't doubt that WW B Dahl is expected to be $25/lb next year. I paid $20/lb this spring from Turner Seed in Breckenridge.

Texas Gal said:
IF you get a nice stand of grass, you can graze it lightly. Next year's crop depends on not only the seed produced but the plants from this year.

I don't doubt that WW B Dahl is expected to be $25/lb next year. I paid $20/lb this spring from Turner Seed in Breckenridge.

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it. Did y'all get the seed in the ground this year? If so, how did it come up for you?

First time trying it but got it in ground early june and it's from 6in to over knee high here in s mo prob won't use this yr hope it thickens was told it would go to seed in late Sept-Oct.

Redmike said:
First time trying it but got it in ground early june and it's from 6in to over knee high here in s mo prob won't use this yr hope it thickens was told it would go to seed in late Sept-Oct.

sounds like great results. what method did you use to plant?

Rented drill with warm season box. Prob not best option but was afraid it wouldn't spread well with fert and buggy. It sure was a lot slower getting going than I thought it would b but wanted to try something diff up here in fescue country. It was dozed ground so didn't have to compete with fescue

Redmike said:
Rented drill with warm season box. Prob not best option but was afraid it wouldn't spread well with fert and buggy. It sure was a lot slower getting going than I thought it would b but wanted to try something diff up here in fescue country. It was dozed ground so didn't have to compete with fescue

Thanks for the feedback. I'd certainly be happy with those results.

I wouldn't advice grazing any warm season grass in it's first year of establishment. If your gonna put the money and effort into doing it right, do it right.
Dahl grass is a unique critter. It grows well in sorry Rocky soil. You won't find a fire ant anywhere near it. It becomes so noxious and pungent cows won't touch it. Then two weeks later they will tear the fence down to get to it.
It's great on poor caliche ground and Rocky hillside's. Imo there's much better choices for better more workable ground.

callmefence said:
I wouldn't advice grazing any warm season grass in it's first year of establishment. If your gonna put the money and effort into doing it right, do it right.
Dahl grass is a unique critter. It grows well in sorry Rocky soil. You won't find a fire ant anywhere near it. It becomes so noxious and pungent cows won't touch it. Then two weeks later they will tear the fence down to get to it.
It's great on poor caliche ground and Rocky hillside's. Imo there's much better choices for better more workable ground.

I appreciate the insight. I don't have any first hand experience with Dahl. I was hoping it would be the right balance of improved forage and wildlife friendly.

Not to change topics, but for someone looking at experimenting with Dahl on decent ground, what would you recommend that is also wildlife friendly? Note... I'm not generally opposed to sprigging any Bermuda variety, but on this particular place I was hoping to avoid it, I've got plenty of hay ground at the folks place.

AntebellumAcres said:
callmefence said:

I appreciate the insight. I don't have any first hand experience with Dahl. I was hoping it would be the right balance of improved forage and wildlife friendly.

Not to change topics, but for someone looking at experimenting with Dahl on decent ground, what would you recommend that is also wildlife friendly? Note... I'm not generally opposed to sprigging any Bermuda variety, but on this particular place I was hoping to avoid it, I've got plenty of hay ground at the folks place.

I don't know of your location. I'm in lampasas and Mills countys. Where most all of the Dahl grass seed marketed comes from.
My answer to your question is klien grass. Very productive and very wildlife (quail, turkey,deer) friendly. Dahl grass has its place ,but on good ground IMHO klien grass is better.

antebellum there is a fairly large field of kleingrass along the road by rhodes and son feed and hay. they planted it years ago. drop in and ask kim what he thinks about kleingrass around here, i imagine he would be more than happy to tell you what he thinks.

ccr said:
antebellum there is a fairly large field of kleingrass along the road by rhodes and son feed and hay. they planted it years ago. drop in and ask kim what he thinks about kleingrass around here, i imagine he would be more than happy to tell you what he thinks.

Thank you much for tip, I will have to do that. I do have some hair sheep to contend with and I've heard it's toxic for them, but wouldn't be impossible to manage around if it's held in such high regards.