Essentials for new calves, calving

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeportfarms

Reaction score
Being new to the world of cattle, and with about 14 calves due in the next 2 months, I was wondering if anybody has a comprehensive list of necessary things to have on hand for before, during, and after (other than the number of a vet on the fridge).

It would be a good idea to have it all in place before the fun begins...

Hans

Now after reviewing some of the essentials, where are some good sources for some of the things mentioned on the list? We have Tractor Supply locally, but they would probably be missing some of the more specialized things on the list.

Any good online sources/websites for supplies?

Hans

lakeportfarms":2rsxaom0 said:
Now after reviewing some of the essentials, where are some good sources for some of the things mentioned on the list? We have Tractor Supply locally, but they would probably be missing some of the more specialized things on the list.

Any good online sources/websites for supplies?

Hans

http://www.valleyvet.com

With 14 cows to calve, I would not invest the money in a calf puller, etc. The vet has those, and if you are new, you need to learn how to pull a calf before you do it yourself.

I didn't read all the way through the thread, but a good head light, flashlight, and spotlight are very important.

lakeportfarms":2ubh3uh8 said:
Being new to the world of cattle, and with about 14 calves due in the next 2 months, I was wondering if anybody has a comprehensive list of necessary things to have on hand for before, during, and after (other than the number of a vet on the fridge).

It would be a good idea to have it all in place before the fun begins...

Hans

Please don't take offense to this question, but you have 14 calves due in the next two months and your asking advice now? Have you taken any classes (like Master Cattlemen, palpation etc.) or read any books on the subject? I'm not trying to be a smart you now what, but why set yourself up for problems? If you have prepared, then I apologize, but there are so many newbies that jump in way over their head and then cry "help" when the problems start. Again, if your not one of these my deepest apologies.

If you are, you need to get studying and quick!

We have experience with equine, but not cattle specific.

We have a friend that had 250 head of cattle 20 years ago, but he is pretty old school (many times not a bad thing). He'll be available to help us if we require assistance during a calving, but obviously we don't want to have to call him on every situation or during every birth. We are just looking for additional opinions and to make sure we're not running around trying to find every little thing we may need. Read a lot about the subject, but with many resources here there is always something to learn.

So far so good, we had one drop two weeks ago, both my wife and I were gone during the day, we returned home and there she was laying in a pile of straw in the stall.

Latest posts