Escaping Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
For some reason this year our cows have been getting out like crazy.
Had them get out the first time and one neighbor called to let us know. 2 days later got a call from a different neighbor chewing us out because they got out again, same spot. Hubby put in 13 fence posts where they had gotten out. The posts are 4 feet apart in that spot.
Went out yesterday to check them and they were out again. :roll: Different spot this time.
Then this evening got another call from the neighbor who chewed us out before letting us know that they were out again.

They are driving us crazy with knocking down posts and breaking barbed wire. Watching to see if the same ones keep getting out. If it is they are hitting the road this fall.

Once they start getting out it seems like they figure they CAN get out whenever they want to. Maybe a real hot, nose-height electric wire on 5" standoffs inside the perimeter fence would stop the urge a bit? Good luck. Jim

I was stupid enough to let our old bull pull that stunt years ago. Got out once in summer over 2 summers. After the 2nd time, I strung a 1/2 mile of hot wire a few feet from the barb wire, to keep ours and the neighbour's bull, apart. Put a box-type solar fencer on it. No more problems. :cowboy:

Once they figure out they can get out, they will get out. Most fence in nothing more than a mental barrier.

A good electric fence however, is more. Light 'em up!

I'm having more trouble with deer pulling down hot wire this year. Seems like once or twice a week I'm out there fixing it. Must be a fawn who can't jump very well yet.

SRBeef":2ws9u8lo said:
Once they start getting out it seems like they figure they CAN get out whenever they want to. Maybe a real hot, nose-height electric wire on 5" standoffs inside the perimeter fence would stop the urge a bit? Good luck. Jim

Absolutely. And if you get one doing it, you soon have many doing it.

If you have an old sorry internal fence that is nothing but an obstacle, they'll soon think the perimiter fences are just an obstacle.

6 strands of barbed wire stretched as tight as you can possibly pull it with a golden rod, then two clicks past hand tight with a cheater pipe, and the top wire being 50 to 55 inches high seems to last me about 20 years. Then it has to be reworked. If you have a bull across the fence you may need to check it daily. :D

We were talking this morning about a solar fence charger and putting up electrical wire in the spot where they are getting out the most. Perfect time, the ground is wet there. They would get a great charge out of it. :lol2:

Fred they were just too lazy to walk up to the stock tank for water and were after the water in the ditch. Chased them up to the stock tank last night.
They have some pretty good grass out there yet and with the rain showers and nice weather it is growing again.

Fred Belknap":1spv3i97 said:
Maybe they are hungry. If their bellies are full they might stay home better.

Unless you have that one that is the daughter of Lucifer like I have. Put her in a pasture with beautiful grass and should would jump out to eat the one stubble coming out of the dirt on the other side of the fence. Something about Luciferette just made her crazy being inside a fence.

I talked about her on another post a few weeks ago and stated that she was going to get confined or shot... Finally got her in my portable corral that is over 5 feet tall. She was able to get almost half of her body over the top of it, but once her back feet got off the ground, she didn't have enough leverage to tip on over. If not for that, she would still be getting out. Luciferette went more crazy than any bull I had ever seen when she found that she couldn't get out. She stalked and paced and jumped trying to get out for a week, until she found that a little sweet feed was worth staying in for.

Luciferettes new name is soon to be hamburger...

I think you got a couple trouble makers, maybe just one. The type that walks the fences looking for a place. Maybe the type that loves to stretch though the fence to get grass that is no better then the stuff on her side of the fence. I had this type, when I find out which one it is, it gets a ride.

mnmtranching":1pz0ppsj said:
I think you got a couple trouble makers, maybe just one. The type that walks the fences looking for a place. Maybe the type that loves to stretch though the fence to get grass that is no better then the stuff on her side of the fence. I had this type, when I find out which one it is, it gets a ride.

Exactly. All it takes is one to corrupt the entire herd.

once cows start busting fences they will keep it up.because it becomes a game to them to get out.every now an then our cows will bust fences.