Erradicating bamboo

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Friend of mine planted some running bamboo on a pond dam near his house to help prevent erosion. Needless to say the bamboo is now a problem. Anyone ever got rid of this crap? Would Pramitol or any other herbicide have any effect on it?

Thanks

I don't now how to help you, but you need to be careful when starting a statement with "a friend of mine...." MM never falls for that line ~ she will out you for sure..... :roll:

angie":3qhtafve said:
I don't now how to help you, but you need to be careful when starting a statement with "a friend of mine...." MM never falls for that line ~ she will out you for sure..... :roll:

But it sounds better than saying stupid me. :banana:

Velpar L will kill it as good as anything I know of course it may kill other things you don't want to kill. Good luck, you got a tough one on your hands.

Bamboo Control

Herbicides

Considering the perennial nature of bamboo, the use of herbicide will often be needed to hasten and improve control. However, there are currently no herbicide labels that list bamboo as a controlled species. But there are herbicides that are relatively effective on this weed. Both glyphosate (Roundup and others) and imazapyr (Arsenal), used at high rates, will control bamboo with time.

Research has shown that for herbicides to be effective, the bamboo should be mowed or chopped and allowed to regrow to a height of approximately 3 feet, or until the leaves expand (Figure 2). Glyphosate at a 5% solution or imazapyr as a 1% solution can then be applied directly to the leaves.

Bamboo that has regrown after mowing and is ready for herbicide application.

It has been noted that imazapyr is more effective on bamboo than glyphosate. However, imazapyr has a great deal of foliar and soil activity and will potentially kill hardwood trees, shrubs, and all grasses if their roots extend into the vicinity of the application. Therefore, if the bamboo is growing near any desirable plant species, imazapyr should not be used. Glyphosate does not have soil activity and will only kill plants that are contacted with the spray solution. This makes glyphosate a more useful herbicide option for most areas where bamboo grows. It is important to note that one application of glyphosate will not eradicate bamboo. You will likely be required to mow and spray as many as 4 times for complete bamboo control to be achieved. Persistence is key when targeting this weed.

Additionally, glyphosate comes in many different formulations and concentrations. The 5% solution (or 6 fl oz per gallon) refers to glyphosate formulated at a 41% concentration. If the glyphosate product you intend to use does not contain 41% active ingredient, then the application rate should be altered to accommodate this difference.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. And yes, I do have at least one friend. I think...

Called another friend that works for the Extension Service, his advice was the panda bears. The guy at the Co-Op suggested a D6.

If possible, ya'll need to make some lemonade out of this lemon. My suggestion is to gang up together and ring fire around it and let the fire run into the bamboo. It won't kill it but it will be like the fourth of July without the cost of firecrackers. :nod:

We had it on one farm. I mowed it to the gorund the n turned the cows in. The stayed surprisingly well conditioned eating it.

cfpinz":17i35khe said:
Friend of mine planted some running bamboo on a pond dam near his house to help prevent erosion. Needless to say the bamboo is now a problem. Anyone ever got rid of this crap? Would Pramitol or any other herbicide have any effect on it?

Thanks

Razor will get it you need an applicators lic to buy.
Remedy and diesel would be the cheapest and works great as well.

Okay I know I'm 'the crazy goat lady' but seriously ... goats! They will knock it down and eat it, and get fat on it.

I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow of our bamboo patch, before and after grazing. You wouldnt believe the difference.

Keren":kc9u0uwu said:
Okay I know I'm 'the crazy goat lady' but seriously ... goats! They will knock it down and eat it, and get fat on it.

I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow of our bamboo patch, before and after grazing. You wouldnt believe the difference.

Goats were my first notion. Read somewhere that it will kill goats. Figured "Oh well", they make new goats every day. Reckon you just proved that notion wrong.

I would think that remedy and desil should kill it. It's taken me about three year of hand spraying off the back of my 4 wheeler but i've killed out about 60 acres of mesquite.I probably don't hsve but about ten or twelve bushes greening up this year.One more month and I'll get them. :clap: :clap:

Cal

Calman":gfcia17x said:
I would think that remedy and desil should kill it. It's taken me about three year of hand spraying off the back of my 4 wheeler but i've killed out about 60 acres of mesquite.I probably don't hsve but about ten or twelve bushes greening up this year.One more month and I'll get them. :clap: :clap:

Cal

I wouldn't think so since bamboo is a grass. Diesel alone might but I doubt remedy would. I asked two docs about killing bamboo Tuesday and they both agreed that roundup and arsenal mix was the way to go. Strongly suggested knocking it down first and applying spray when it was knee high. Basically they agree with Perda's post. Did say velpar would get it too.

cfpinz":phjbir8d said:
Keren":phjbir8d said:

Goats were my first notion. Read somewhere that it will kill goats. Figured "Oh well", they make new goats every day. Reckon you just proved that notion wrong.

Apparently bamboo has cyanide or something like that in it. Theoretically it should kill them. But yeah, it doesnt.

Interestingly, a friend of mine has a bad fireweed problem. Fireweed is toxic to cattle and sheep and just about everything. They decided to get some goats a while back, to eradicate it. Figured they would buy young goats, graze them on the weed for 12 months, then slaughter and start all over again, basically so they were selling off the goats before the toxicity built up to a stage where it started causing problems for them. Well, 5 years later they still have the original goats and no problems. Goats can eat a lot of toxic plants that other livestock cant. I spoke to a researcher about it once, and goats metabolise a whole lot faster than other ruminants, so the toxins dont stay in the system very long. Also, they can apparently isolate/segregate/compartmentalise the toxic compounds in their body so they dont do any harm

Keren":v373h2iw said:
cfpinz":v373h2iw said:
Keren":v373h2iw said:

Apparently bamboo has cyanide or something like that in it. Theoretically it should kill them. But yeah, it doesnt.

Interestingly, a friend of mine has a bad fireweed problem. Fireweed is toxic to cattle and sheep and just about everything. They decided to get some goats a while back, to eradicate it. Figured they would buy young goats, graze them on the weed for 12 months, then slaughter and start all over again, basically so they were selling off the goats before the toxicity built up to a stage where it started causing problems for them. Well, 5 years later they still have the original goats and no problems. Goats can eat a lot of toxic plants that other livestock cant. I spoke to a researcher about it once, and goats metabolise a whole lot faster than other ruminants, so the toxins dont stay in the system very long. Also, they can apparently isolate/segregate/compartmentalise the toxic compounds in their body so they dont do any harm
Funny story (to me anyway) about goats controlling weeds. Back probalby i nthe 70s but maybe the 60s, one state had a real problem with hemp weed (poor relation to MJ but people smoked it anyway). They hired a guy to run goats along the roads and highways to control it and paid him to do it. They were just delighted the first year because they did such a good job. The next spring they weren;t near as happy since all of the seeds encapsulated in their own little fertilizer pellets sprouted and grew better then ever. After that they just sprayed.

Latest posts