Equipment Auction Action ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Lots of events in April, with multiple auctions on most Saturdays. Retirement, consignment, going out of business... Last year green FWA tractors and clean tandem disks were hot. What is selling well in your area?

Just about everything is selling hot around here, even combines and grain trucks. Got all of that trump money to spend, I reckon.

Haven't had any amount of auction sales here in the last 4 years, maybe one or two a year. Used to be one every 2nd week for years. Lots of older guys nowadays either die and let's their kids sell off quietly/privately or do it themselves. Or the old guy dies, kids don't care and sell the whole place and let the new owner deal with dad's junk.

Not as many retirements as in the past. Not many left on the land who got wealthy in the inflationary 70s, and hung thru the farm crisis.

Availability of off farm employment is a factor for younger producers. Some folks, particularly dairy, choose to switch to truck driving or light manufacturing before the equity is all gone.

Hit one today. Huge crowd, reminded me of the State Fair. Lots of shiny 3/4 and 1 tons pulling goosenecks.

Lunch wagon charged extra for kraut on your sausage. :shock:

I got a couple cattle tools cheap. Most things went high - - some for new price. Rusted out Vern' creep feeders went for U$S 2100. Did not know that there was so much profit in creep feeding.

Stocker Steve said:
Hit one today. Huge crowd, reminded me of the State Fair. Lots of shiny 3/4 and 1 tons pulling goosenecks.

Lunch wagon charged extra for kraut on your sausage. :shock:

I got a couple cattle tools cheap. Most things went high - - some for new price. Rusted out Vern' creep feeders went for U$S 2100. Did not know that there was so much profit in creep feeding.

Was the kraut at least homemade? I think they would have to charge me double extra.

I have yet to see many auctions where things aren't overpaid for. The older I get, the more I buy new.

Went 6 hours to Minnesota for a tractor at a retirement auction today and everything was bringing big money. Guys buying used beat up bale rings for 300+, hay equipment 50% more than I could buy from any dealer and day of the week. I got carried away and bid 2k over my max on the tractor and the other guy never hesitated or batted an eye to outbid me.

So wasted 12 hours driving and 4 hours standing around.

Dammm Minnesota bidders. A guy should sell all his equipment at auction and then buy part of it back for much less!
Hope at least you got some free condiments.

Assuming this was the staples auction, how much did the 3 section cultipacker go for?

fasttommy said:
Assuming this was the staples auction, how much did the 3 section cultipacker go for?

I left after the creep feeders. Broken sections for parts have been advertised for $300. Usable ones had been going for up to $800. Could have been more based on some previous items. PM me if you really need one.

I think part of what has happened is an increase in internet bidding. So if it has good paint - - there is more competition for anything that will fit on a semi w/o major disassemble. I bid on a clean Minnesota tractor last year that went to Georgia.

lots of auctions. haven't been to any this year.. i stopped going because everything goes for so much around here.

probably going to have one when i sell out.. not moving all my equipment 9 hours away...

about ready to auction a 3 unit building I have.. one down the road needing 150k in repairs went for about 60k more then i ever would of thought... so mine is up next. !

The 3 section cultipacker went for 900 at the Staples, Mn auction. Didn't look it over too well but most of the tillage equipment was pretty well used.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
The 3 section cultipacker went for 900 at the Staples, Mn auction. Didn't look it over too well but most of the tillage equipment was pretty well used.

I could have bid in Staples for you, then you would have had someone to blame for the price. ;-)

Thanks for the info! Not too bad of a price really, compared to what they are advertised on craigslist for. Some place in WI is selling them all the time for $100 a foot.

Broadcasting mixes of annual and/or perennial forages on areas that were torn up from October/November/march/april feeding, then cultipacking for seed/soil contact and just a bit of smoothing if possible.

Hit another one today during a snow squall. They are going out of business with lots of shiny NH equipment... Crowd has a third of last weeks and prices were more reasonable.

Got the wife a cement mixer! She doesn't like mixing Quickrete in a wheel barrow. Last week one sold for new price, this one was 60% of new price.

Latest posts