Equine Nutrition Courses?

Help Support CattleToday:

turn&burn92

Reaction score
Hey guys&gals,

I am wondering if there are any online courses to get a degree in Equine Nutrition and Equine Behavior. I know that you can take these classes and get certified in these areas. I am in my Junior year of highschool, but I have heard you can take courses such as these online. Anyone know of the websites where you can enroll? Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

I do not know what state you are in but check with you State Agriculture Extension service and see if they offer equine extension seminars. I have gone to several in my state in past years. Maybe to find the correct people to talk to call the Animal science department at the states land grant school and ask to talk to a equine science professor involved in extension and they can get you on a mailing list for future courses offered. These are usually a one day class.

Check out job availability and wages.
I have a degree and its pretty much useless as far as it helping me to get a good paying job.
Too many kids love the idea of working with horses- and Mexicans are easily trained to do routine jobs. Employers don't have to pay much to get good help.
There are a few jobs on the high end of the horse industry that pay good- but a degree by itself isn't going to land you one of those jobs.

I did learn alot that helps me make money on my own.

turn&burn92":l36gazki said:
Hey guys&gals,

I am wondering if there are any online courses to get a degree in Equine Nutrition and Equine Behavior. I know that you can take these classes and get certified in these areas. I am in my Junior year of highschool, but I have heard you can take courses such as these online. Anyone know of the websites where you can enroll? Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Why not just major in animal science working on your bachelors and get a more complete general knowledge of animals and nutrition on the basic level. There may be a few online courses you could take to speed things up a bit. Most of the hands on work is at the advanced levels where you can get down and dirty. Take all the courses you can related to ruminant nutrition and then go into your more specialized field of equine nutrition. It's going to be hard to land any kind of good job without the credentials to back you up from the get go and even then you won't make a lot of money until you develop a long resume with a long client list. First thing to learn.....don't be afraid to charge what you're worth !! ;-)

Latest posts