Equine AI

Help Support CattleToday:

jenna

Reaction score
Hello again,
I finally made the jump to the world of equine, kind of. My sister owns a stable, and has been kind of wanting me to give equine ai a try. I'm very familiar with cattle ai, but this was a new thing for me. Since reproducion was my major, I have always wanted to give equine ai a try as well.I took a course and we are giving it a try. It is kind of differnt than cattle (catching them in heat ect.) Is there anyone else on the board that does equine ai? Any speacial tips? Just thought I would post the ai procedure we go through. Thought some of you might be intrested.

Putting on the glove
ai_4.jpg

Lots of lube
ai.jpg

Finding the cervix (pretty easy) Sister holding the wraped tail
ai2.jpg

Semen going in
ai3.jpg

All done
ai4.jpg

[/img]

Intresting, I have always wondered if equine ai was the same as cattle. How come it isn't. What makes horses different. I would hate to put my arm up a cows vagina like that. :shock:
What's the differance?
Ellen

Here's what I know: The cow's heat period is much shorter than the horses. Horses can be in heat on avg. 4-7 days. We usually breed them every other day from the time we catch them in heat. Ovulation occurs toward the end of the heat period, not afterwards like in cows. Semen can be deposited directly in the uterus just like in cows. Minimum dosage for fresh semen is 10ml and for cooled semen in 50ml I believe.

Hope that helps!

Here's what I know: The cow's heat period is much shorter than the horses. Horses can be in heat on avg. 4-7 days. We usually breed them every other day from the time we catch them in heat. Ovulation occurs toward the end of the heat period, not afterwards like in cows. Semen can be deposited directly in the uterus just like in cows. Minimum dosage for fresh semen is 10ml and for cooled semen in 50ml I believe.

Hope that helps!

Nice looking set up. Looks like you know more than I do on it. To add to westvalley's post, I believe a horse begins her cycle 21 days after completing her previous.

Who's semen did you use?

Alan